Duke on NBC's "Capital One College Bowl" Friday 9/23

Season 2 of "Capital One College Bowl" started up on NBC a few weeks ago. Each episode pits three players from one university against three players from another in a general trivia contest. Duke plays tonight (Friday 9/23 at 8pm ET) against Columbia, defending champs from Season 1.

There are two half-hour matches in a one-hour episode. UC Santa Barbara plays Morehouse in the other match. I don't know if Duke-Columbia will be the first match or the second.

Anyway, here's the Duke team:

capitaloneduke.jpg

Wow, Vignesh and Perisa are tall, and look a lot like host Peyton Manning and his older brother Cooper.

Sometime after the broadcast, the episode will be available on NBC.com to cable subscribers and on Peacock for people who use Peacock.

I think it's nice when young people wear suits although I question Perisa's plaid. Vignesh's blazer, is that leather? Bold, confident choice.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Season 2 of "Capital One College Bowl" started up on NBC a few weeks ago. Each episode pits three players from one university against three players from another in a general trivia contest. Duke plays tonight (Friday 9/23 at 8pm ET) against Columbia, defending champs from Season 1.

There are two half-hour matches in a one-hour episode. UC Santa Barbara plays Morehouse in the other match. I don't know if Duke-Columbia will be the first match or the second.

Anyway, here's the Duke team:

capitaloneduke.jpg

Wow, Vignesh and Perisa are tall, and look a lot like host Peyton Manning and his older brother Cooper.

Sometime after the broadcast, the episode will be available on NBC.com to cable subscribers and on Peacock for people who use Peacock.
    Yeah, they should have re-thought the lineup of that photo.

Shaky.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Shaky.
    It’s bad when I know many of the answers that they whiffed on…..

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Shaky.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tooold View Post
    It’s bad when I know many of the answers that they whiffed on…..
    I've seen the other episodes, and there's a lot of whiffing. Not to generalize that generation, but when Vignesh thought that Taco Bell was the burrito place established in 1993, well, it was not the first time on this show that a contestant's hold of recent history was suspect.

Duke was pretty good, and could have beaten Columbia head-to-head had they been quicker to the buzzer about 2 or 3 more times. Fortunately they advance anyway as a wild card. I'm just glad they were able to buzz in and answer the very first question, about who beat UNC men's basketball in the 2022 NCAA Tournament.

I wonder if Cooper Manning chuckles to himself about how the winners of this competition will receive less money than his son will in his first NIL deal.

I've seen the other episodes, and there's a lot of whiffing. Not to generalize that generation, but when Vignesh thought that Taco Bell was the burrito place established in 1993, well, it was not the first time on this show that a contestant's hold of recent history was suspect.
    Yeah I thought they should have known that even if they didn’t know recent history.

Not knowing “yak” or “donkey” also surprised me.

... I'm just glad they were able to buzz in and answer the very first question, about who beat UNC men's basketball in the 2022 NCAA Tournament...
    I'm pretty sure that was a dig at Duke. A sadly deserved jibe.
    But then again, I'm pretty thin skinned.

Did anyone watch Duke's quarterfinal on Friday?

Quote Originally Posted by awhom111 View Post
    Did anyone watch Duke's quarterfinal on Friday?
    Yes, I recorded it Friday and watched it last night. Spoilers if you plan to watch it (it's called "Quarterfinals 2" and available online here for cable subscribers, or streaming on Peacock):

Spoiler!

Yes, I recorded it Friday and watched it last night. Spoilers if you plan to watch it (it's called "Quarterfinals 2" and available online here for cable subscribers, or streaming on Peacock):

Spoiler!
    Seriously!

It's easy not to \have your brain and mouth aligned, particularly if you are on TV. Sadly, David Bowie was not the inventor of a famous knife that died at the Alamo. (I knew this was wrong when I said it back in high school.) Screen presence is one of several reasons I could never be on a show like this. They ask too many liberal arts questions, and I'm more of a STEM person.

The answer was also the highlight of BC's winless ACC basketball season in 2017 or 2018 according to one of their players.
    Last edited by duke2x; 10-10-2022 at 09:00 PM.