Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hurricanes 2022

Hurricanes 2022

Hope all of our Florida and Caribbean folks are getting prepared. Ian looks like it’s going to be a strong hurricane when it makes landfall down that way. Ian is projected to be the closest pass to Tampa Bay for a major hurricane since 1950. The current track puts the center of Ian passing within 25 miles west of the coastline as it parallels the coast.

Stay safe and take precautions, folks. This one looks like it may get nasty.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    Hope all of our Florida and Caribbean folks are getting prepared. Ian looks like it’s going to be a strong hurricane when it makes landfall down that way. Ian is projected to be the closest pass to Tampa Bay for a major hurricane since 1950. The current track puts the center of Ian passing within 25 miles west of the coastline as it parallels the coast.

Stay safe and take precautions, folks. This one looks like it may get nasty.
    Best wishes for any who might be in the path of the storm. Tampa is even more in the crosshairs this morning as the track shifted further east. I am seeing predictions of catastrophic storm surge in and around the Tampa area. Couple that with the storm losing forward speed and dumping rain measured in feet and you have a recipe for disaster. Hopefully this doesn't happen but it's not looking good.
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    The whole Southeast is going to get soaked.
    I expect lots of flooding everywhere. This is a link to predicted rain totals through Sunday morning.

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/storm_graph...9WPCQPF_sm.gif
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I expect lots of flooding everywhere. This is a link to predicted rain totals through Sunday morning.

I saw early models that were predicting double digit rainfall for our mountains. I don't mind if the storm veers more sharply east, though I know the coast would rather not have yet another storm event. Here's hoping our state gets largely spared.

The last couple of updates from the NHC have moved the track more south and east. Now projected to come ashore somewhere between Fort Myers and Sarasota as a Cat 3. Not good for them. Then it looks like it scoots up the state, but diminishes in strength quickly (which is usually the case anyhow).

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I saw early models that were predicting double digit rainfall for our mountains. I don't mind if the storm veers more sharply east, though I know the coast would rather not have yet another storm event. Here's hoping our state gets largely spared.
    My family and two other families have a vacation planned for Myrtle Beach beginning Friday of this week. I think we may either cancel or change our arrival to Saturday at the earliest. Three of us have golf scheduled for Monday and Wednesday. However, the golf courses may be under water.

South Carolina has moved their Saturday football game to Thursday night. Probably an astute decision.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    That's never good for the mountains. I remember the flooding after Ivan.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

That's never good for the mountains. I remember the flooding after Ivan.
    Yeah. It can really create a pretty serious mess in certain areas. When the rivers overflow their banks, low-lying areas can get innundated quickly.

Biltmore Village, just south of downtown Asheville is on the Swannanoa River, near the convergence with the French Broad and seems to flood quite often.

I'd rather it not return to the ocean and come back in.
    My daughter canceled her vacation
    In N.C. I just don't see how weather is avoidable .

While I know it's a Longshot I'm planning as it will go offshore after Florida strengthen come back in to s.c.
    As a hurricane.
    Only thing I need to do is fill my 55 gallon drums with fuel .
    110 gallons gives me eight days of generator. Or 8 days to find more fuel.

Quote Originally Posted by wavedukefan70s View Post
    Only thing I need to do is fill my 55 gallon drums with fuel .
    110 gallons gives me eight days of generator. Or 8 days to find more fuel.
    I got sick of smelling like gasoline, so I bought a duel fuel generator that can run on propane. We already have a 500 gallon tank we use for our heat. The gen burns .5 gal per hour so depending on how much is in the tank and how much we want to run the generator, we can hold out for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by howardlander View Post
    I got sick of smelling like gasoline, so I bought a duel fuel generator that can run on propane. We already have a 500 gallon tank we use for our heat. The gen burns .5 gal per hour so depending on how much is in the tank and how much we want to run the generator, we can hold out for a while.
    There suppose to put natural gas behind my house if they do ill buy a standby stationary unit.
    How much wattage are you pulling
    I'm running 9k 12 surge .
    Ideally I need 14 k to run my house as normal .

There suppose to put natural gas behind my house if they do ill buy a standby stationary unit.
    It's an 11k max generator. The most important things are the well pump and the fridge. The heat, cooktop and hot water are all propane and use little to no power. We can't run the AC but everything else is pretty much a go. A natural gas line would be great. It's close to us but I don't think it will get here anytime soon

Yeah. It can really create a pretty serious mess in certain areas. When the rivers overflow their banks, low-lying areas can get innundated quickly.

Biltmore Village, just south of downtown Asheville is on the Swannanoa River, near the convergence with the French Broad and seems to flood quite often.
    The mountains of North Carolina near the Blue Ridge Parkway are also expected to experiencing devastating effects, including landslides and up to 7 inches of rain.

"We are concerned about the risk of localized flooding, mountain flash flooding, and on the coast, river and inland flooding," said William Ray, North Carolina's new director of emergency management.
    https://www.wral.com/heavy-rain-isol...kend/20491890/

Gererac is the biggest supplier of home generators, mostly because they are less expensive (and sold by Lowe's, Home Depot, etc.). They're OK, but Kohler has better power quality and is what I would recommend. A 14 kW Kohler can start a 4 ton AC. Not all generators that size can. The AC's don't need nearly that much power to run, but they do need the starting surge capacity.

We don't need one in Greensboro, but if I were to buy one, I'd spend the extra $ to get a Kohler. Power quality is important if your stuff has microprocessors in it, and today refrigerators, stoves, microwaves, TV's, even thermostats have/run on chips. Bad voltage variations, (sine) wave forms and harmonics can ruin your stuff very quickly. I also recommend putting in a whole house surge protector on your main panel.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    My family and two other families have a vacation planned for Myrtle Beach beginning Friday of this week. I think we may either cancel or change our arrival to Saturday at the earliest. Three of us have golf scheduled for Monday and Wednesday. However, the golf courses may be under water.
    Might want to think about Sunday. You will be potentially driving into it Saturday. If you stick to Friday you will at least be in but have 6-10” of rain. If it stays over land it will move faster (and stay west) but if it goes back over the Atlantic it’s going to slow down. Where are you scheduled to play?

Really? My 16k model burns a fair amount more, though it depends upon the load, which I try to minimize...After three decades of long power outages (four outages > five days) we got a Generac and greatly appreciate it.

It's an 11k max generator. The most important things are the well pump and the fridge. The heat, cooktop and hot water are all propane and use little to no power. We can't run the AC but everything else is pretty much a go. A natural gas line would be great. It's close to us but I don't think it will get here anytime soon
    I supplemented two portable ac units .
    You may have enough to power 1 .
    It gets warm and humid here si I have to run one to get to where my wife will just be miserable.

I supplemented two portable ac units .
    You may have enough to power 1 .
    It gets warm and humid here si I have to run one to get to where my wife will just be miserable.
    I find that having a heat pump (pretty new) providing A/C, the generator handles it easily, and the electric consumption in normal times is shockingly low. Pleasant surprise).

Due to city ordinances/safety regs, we aren't allowed to have a whole home generator. We can have (and likely will at some point) have an electrician wire up a box that we can plug into, but the generator itself has to be portable and sit in the yard.

Ian's track is shifting towards the East now, and that's not good for anyone on the coast from Florida to NC. Storm surge comes into play, which I know from Florence can be a nightmare. Rain totals expected for middle NC to the coast are increasing as well.

Another problem with that track is that LOTS of people in multiple states are affected. All of the emergency services that are usually confined to a general area will have to be spread out, meaning longer waits for power to be restored and infrastructure (roads/bridges) to be repaired.