Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Hurricanes 2022

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    Just read that a section of the Sanibel Causeway was taken out by the storm.
    Yes, just like Orrin Pilkey would tell you should happen.
    https://www.fox4now.com/weather/hurr...rath-upon-swfl

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Yep. I know we have some Charleston residents on this board. I just spoke with my mom who lives there, says it's getting windy and knows that tomorrow will be a messy day. They are predicting a 4-7 foot storm surge, which isn't good news for anyone living on the Ashley.
    Not surprised it is windy in Charleston: I live in Durham County and we just had a noticeable wind gust.

Fun fact: South Carolina is the state with the nineteenth-lowest high point in the nation (Sassafras Mountain).

We have been lashing cargo since 4 am .
    Was a bit gusty . Hopefully it isn't to bad.
    That's for insurance purposes. It won't really hold.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Fun fact: South Carolina is the state with the nineteenth-lowest high point in the nation (Sassafras Mountain).
    For reference that’s 10 times higher than Florida’s natural highest point. There are probably condos in Miami higher than the states high point.

It’s been grey with a light wind all day. Expect it to pick up tomorrow morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    For reference that’s 10 times higher than Florida’s natural highest point. There are probably condos in Miami higher than the states high point.

It’s been grey with a light wind all day. Expect it to pick up tomorrow morning.
    I get anxious ever since hugo.
    Wife says I over prepare.
    We set up for two weeks with out power .
    Overkill for this storm probably.

Quote Originally Posted by wavedukefan70s View Post
    We have been lashing cargo since 4 am .
    Was a bit gusty . Hopefully it isn't to bad.
    That's for insurance purposes. It won't really hold.

What ‘s in ‘em? Not heavy?

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Empties 10 thousand or less.
    I've seen 50 thousand pound loads blow over in 50 mph winds .
    We used to stack loads on the ends but they changed the directive.
    Realistically if a strong storm comes. Nothing is stopping it. The cranes held up during hugo though.

These should hold up.got steel at 4 corners bolted to the dock.170 feet at the cab.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    We were supposed to go to concert in Wilmington tonight. I told gf that I didn't mind getting wet while there, but I was not enthused about the two hour windy drive in the wet dark.
    Thankfully they made the right decision to cancel (I wouldn't have gone anyway, but this means I get a refund). We still wanted to do something, so we drove over to Atlantic Beach and Emerald Isle. Pretty gusty and the waves were kicking up while there of course, but on our way home, gf totally got my earlier concern. She was very nervous riding back as we felt our car being pushed around. Thankfully the rain that had started is only misty for right now.
    Tomorrow is just gonna be a great day to stay inside.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

. We still wanted to do something, so we drove over to Atlantic Beach and Emerald Isle. Pretty gusty and the waves were kicking up while there of course, but on our way home, gf totally got my earlier concern. She was very nervous riding back as we felt our car being pushed around.
    You shouldn’t have made her ride in the open bed of the pickup truck!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

I happened to be in "Storm Ali" on the western part of Ireland in 2018 and there wasn't much talk of it although I was in a small town (Doolin) and wasn't checking the news much, so maybe I was just oblivious. I walked outside my airbnb and experienced 90 mph/140 kph wind gusts, and yeah, that was the end of my outdoor experiences that day... I mean, I knew it was windy and knew something was coming as our boat adventure got canceled but that really knocks you back. And was "only" tropical storm level winds. Not much rain though really -- it wasn't a hurricane although I guess Ireland can get them occasionally (but rare).

Stay safe out there!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    I happened to be in "Storm Ali" on the western part of Ireland in 2018 and there wasn't much talk of it although I was in a small town (Doolin) and wasn't checking the news much, so maybe I was just oblivious. I walked outside my airbnb and experienced 90 mph/140 kph wind gusts, and yeah, that was the end of my outdoor experiences that day... I mean, I knew it was windy and knew something was coming as our boat adventure got canceled but that really knocks you back. And was "only" tropical storm level winds. Not much rain though really -- it wasn't a hurricane although I guess Ireland can get them occasionally (but rare).

Stay safe out there!
    Sounds like a typical weekday pub night in Eire!

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Sounds like a typical weekday pub night in Eire!

I did go to the pub that night! After the winds died down some it was a "boys night out."

Although the other "boy" was my 2-year old son (while the baby and wife stayed back). Pubs in Ireland = a lot of fun, even with a 2 year old...

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    I did go to the pub that night! After the winds died down some it was a "boys night out."

Although the other "boy" was my 2-year old son (while the baby and wife stayed back). Pubs in Ireland = a lot of fun, even with a 2 year old...
    Sláinte!

I was happy to find multiple pubs with my surname (and multiple spellings at that) on my trip there, more than ready to return!

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    We were supposed to go to concert in Wilmington tonight. I told gf that I didn't mind getting wet while there, but I was not enthused about the two hour windy drive in the wet dark.
    Thankfully they made the right decision to cancel (I wouldn't have gone anyway, but this means I get a refund). We still wanted to do something, so we drove over to Atlantic Beach and Emerald Isle. Pretty gusty and the waves were kicking up while there of course, but on our way home, gf totally got my earlier concern. She was very nervous riding back as we felt our car being pushed around. Thankfully the rain that had started is only misty for right now.
    Tomorrow is just gonna be a great day to stay inside.
    I drove down to Charlotte today. This morning no problem, driving back home to Durham around 4, I could feel my RAV4 being pushed sideways at times (mildly) and the tree tops bending. The DMS (Dynamic Message Signs over the travel lanes) all had Tropical Storm warnings from Charlotte to Burlington (but not Orange or Durham counties.)

It wasn’t anywhere near as bad as driving home from work in Raleigh circa 2006 as a storm was coming inland. By the time I left, there was very little traffic on 40, and those of us there tried to keep a lane in between vehicles, as we were getting significantly pushed around (I stayed to shut things down as those living in Wake went home to prepare. Durham was reasonably clear.). One of the few hurricanes/remnants that didn’t come through at night.

Between last night and this morning, they've cut the expected rain to about a third. Much less intimidating.

Not to bad here only 5 k with out power so far .
    Haven't heard but I'm guessing 35 mph winds maybe a gust of 60 here and there .that's a big maybe .

This storm path reminds me of Hugo's in '89. That was a small, strong fast moving storm. It dropped a large oak tree on my aunt's cabin near Elkin, NC. (No one was home at the time.)

Where I am now, in Greenville, SC, we are expecting some winds and rain. Nothing too nasty.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I am pretty sure that the stove I ordered 6 months ago is in the container in the top left. Should I start making alternative plans for the previously scheduled delivery of Oct 10?

Edit: Just an attempt at some humor. Hope the effects are as limited as possible for all in the storms path.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Between last night and this morning, they've cut the expected rain to about a third. Much less intimidating.
    Yeah. We went from 7-10 inches predicted to 2-3. That's going to make a big difference inland.