Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Maturin View Post
    Moving on to the game, this is an important one. Man, am I glad to see the last of Bronco Mendenhall. The Duke/UVA series flipped completely when he took over. I don't know what it was, but Cut's offenses never had a chance against Bronco's defenses. Cut won 6 of his first 7 against the Hoos, then lost his last 7, including 6 in a row against Bronco.

It's time to reset this series and get ACC play started the right way.
    Not sure we’ll be able to draw many meaningful conclusions from this game statistically speaking or otherwise if the field is under at a least couple inches of water. It may be a “slobber knocker” type of game … run it three times into the line and either move the sticks or punt. I expect a pretty sloppy game in many respects from both squads given the weather forecast.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Maturin View Post
    ...It's time to reset this series and get ACC play started the right way.
    Hear, hear! Time to turn this rivalry around in our favor for a change and humble the Hoos (weather be damned).

Weather may not be bad. Here’s the forecast for Saturday:
    Mostly cloudy skies with some showers and perhaps a storm from the remnants of Ian. Highs in the mid 60s-lower 70s. We are seeing a faster advance of the remnants of Ian so it's quite possible the greatest impacts would have already moved through leaving today quieter with still some showers possible and perhaps some sunshine later in the afternoon.

Overnight
    Mostly cloudy skies with a small chance for a few showers. Lows in the upper 50s-lower 60s.

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    Weather may not be bad. Here’s the forecast for Saturday:
    Potentially excellent news! I will be eyeing the weather closely the next few days. Saturday morning is decision time.
    Bob Green

Ben watching the forecast also. Think we will try to drive up for game. We might have some weather on the way but sounds like Durham will be OK. We have been looking forward to it. Hope many others feel the same way as I hope there is a good crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Potentially excellent news! I will be eyeing the weather closely the next few days. Saturday morning is decision time.
    Indeed -- I invested in a half-dozen "premium" tickets in hopes of taking our son, his wife, and the two grandsons to the game while we're up from Florida for a visit. To see the previously dismal forecast take a favorable turn to fair weather would certainly be welcomed.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    Not sure we’ll be able to draw many meaningful conclusions from this game statistically speaking or otherwise if the field is under at a least couple inches of water. It may be a “slobber knocker” type of game … run it three times into the line and either move the sticks or punt. I expect a pretty sloppy game in many respects from both squads given the weather forecast.
    IIRC, Duke installed a system that can suck off up to 10” of rain per hour from the field so I’d be more worried about wind disrupting the passing game.

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    IIRC, Duke installed a system that can suck off up to 10” of rain per hour from the field so I’d be more worried about wind disrupting the passing game.
    Ok, that type of drainage system will certainly help. I’d worry about wind like you said and also a slick or wet football which could lead to fumbles, muffs, dropped passes, etc. It seems like it is going to be some nasty weather Saturday at Wallace Wade.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Stray Gator View Post
    Indeed -- I invested in a half-dozen "premium" tickets in hopes of taking our son, his wife, and the two grandsons to the game while we're up from Florida for a visit. To see the previously dismal forecast take a favorable turn to fair weather would certainly be welcomed.
    If you make it, I hope you join us at our tailgate. I was becoming very leery of making the two hour drive from New Bern to campus in the rain, but from what I've seen locally, my drive will not be a white knuckle adventure now. So swing by and join us on Blue Devil Alley for some BBQ and a brew or two.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    Ok, that type of drainage system will certainly help. I’d worry about wind like you said and also a slick or wet football which could lead to fumbles, muffs, dropped passes, etc. It seems like it is going to be some nasty weather Saturday at Wallace Wade.
    I'm actually seeing light rain (0.02" per hour) and 10 mph winds being forecasted for Saturday night in Durham. Friday night on the other hand, nasty...

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    I'm actually seeing light rain (0.02" per hour) and 10 mph winds being forecasted for Saturday night in Durham. Friday night on the other hand, nasty...
    Ok that is good news about Saturday.

Ian will re-strengthen as it heads back over the Atlantic and then turns west into the Carolinas. Most likely its heading further west and you could be looking at a Hugo situation where you're going to get a lot of flooding in an area that isn't used to that kind of weather.

A lot depends on your preferred forecast. Accuweather says 30+ MPH sustained winds during the game. You are looking at offense ca. 1870 in those conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by HoKogan View Post
    Ian will re-strengthen as it heads back over the Atlantic and then turns west into the Carolinas. Most likely its heading further west and you could be looking at a Hugo situation where you're going to get a lot of flooding in an area that isn't used to that kind of weather.
    Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post
    A lot depends on your preferred forecast. Accuweather says 30+ MPH sustained winds during the game. You are looking at offense ca. 1870 in those conditions.
    Yep, hard to know...storm can change paths pretty easily.

I'm using Weather Underground which still predicts 0.00-inch (i.e. no) rain between 7pm-8pm with 5mph winds...it shows the worst of it being 9-10pm Friday night with 0.2" rainfall/hr and 20+mph sustained winds...total rain of 2.5" over the day (mostly Friday)...we shall see. Oddly, I find Accuweather to almost always give a 40-60% chance of precipiation in my area when there's any threat of some rain. I don't get it. Make a prediction! I see them saying 55% chance of precipitation in the "evening" (0.05" total) with sustained 24 mph and 38mph wind gusts at this moment. (With precipitation in the afternoon at 90%+). I'm not sure when "Afternoon" ends and "evening" begins. We'll see who is right!

https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/us/nc/durham
    https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/du...t/329821?day=3

Yep, hard to know...storm can change paths pretty easily.

I'm using Weather Underground which still predicts 0.00-inch (i.e. no) rain between 7pm-8pm with 5mph winds...it shows the worst of it being 9-10pm Friday night with 0.2" rainfall/hr and 20+mph sustained winds...total rain of 2.5" over the day (mostly Friday)...we shall see. Oddly, I find Accuweather to almost always give a 40-60% chance of precipiation in my area when there's any threat of some rain. I don't get it. Make a prediction! I see them saying 55% chance of precipitation in the "evening" (0.05" total) with sustained 24 mph and 38mph wind gusts at this moment. (With precipitation in the afternoon at 90%+). I'm not sure when "Afternoon" ends and "evening" begins. We'll see who is right!

https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/us/nc/durham
    https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/du...t/329821?day=3
    Durham is pretty far east of where its projected to go, looks like its Greensboro and west that are going to get the most rain. Like Hugo, its tracking farther west than originally thought. I was in Burlington when Hugo hit land and we were expected to get slammed with rain but it drifted so far west we got nothing but some wind and some fast moving clouds. Also like you mentioned, it appears that most of the rain is going to be late Friday early Saturday, when I think we were supposed to get most of the rain from Saturday to Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by HoKogan View Post
    Durham is pretty far east of where its projected to go, looks like its Greensboro and west that are going to get the most rain. Like Hugo, its tracking farther west than originally thought. I was in Burlington when Hugo hit land and we were expected to get slammed with rain but it drifted so far west we got nothing but some wind and some fast moving clouds. Also like you mentioned, it appears that most of the rain is going to be late Friday early Saturday, when I think we were supposed to get most of the rain from Saturday to Sunday.
    Ian continues to move to the right of where they have been predicting the last few days. It went into Ft Myers instead of Tampa Bay. It went more easterly across Florida and popped out into the Atlantic faster than they expected. In the two hours since their latest forecast, it has continued moving to the east of the forecasted direction. The prediction is that eventually it will turn to the left and come back into SC, but the longer it takes for that turn to start, the more it looks like it's going to show up in Durham on Saturday. Hopefully, by the end of today, things will be clearer.

The latest forecast for Saturday:

rin.jpg

WRAL

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    The latest forecast for Saturday:

rin.jpg
    Can someone explain to me why WRAL in Raleigh does not even bother to mention the Duke-Virginia game in the "teams affected" by the hurricane. I find this really annoying. I realize that the Raleigh station has never been a fan of Duke sports, but you would think they would at least mention what will happen with the Duke game given the hurricane. There are several internet articles up on the their web site, and not one of them mentions Duke. WRAL seems to be moving further away from Duke, and focusing on their viewer base - but maybe I should expect that. Thanks.

Blue, blue, white Unis for Saturday. Go Devils!

https://twitter.com/AdamRoweTDD/stat...36364594290688
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Blue, blue, white Unis for Saturday. Go Devils!

https://twitter.com/AdamRoweTDD/stat...36364594290688
    I kinda like that look...