Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

FB: Duke 38, Virginia 17

Duke opens as a two points favorite. Weather report for Saturday night calling for rain. Folks are starting to discuss the game in other threads so let’s move the discussion here.
    Last edited by Bob Green; 09-25-2022 at 07:32 PM.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    The bad news is that if it's raining too hard to go to the game and you live in NC you will not be able to watch the game because of rsn blackout restrictions,
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

I watched the entire UVa at Cuse game Friday night. UVa’s defense gave up just 1 TD but 5 field goals and lost on a last second FG by a final score of 22-20. Overall, I thought their defense played well against Cuse. Points may be hard to come by for Duke Saturday night but I like how Leonard has been playing as well as Coleman and others. Offensively, UVa is a shell of themselves compared to last year. Their QB Armstrong had a record setting year last season but they lost their entire offensive line and their offensive coordinator. He looks uncomfortable thus far this year. They do have some good wide receivers and Armstrong has shown in the past he can really sling it. I think Duke will remain a 3ish Point favorite all week and really think this one could go either way. I’d give the slight edge to Duke at home and overall, Duke has impressed me more thus far this season than UVa.

Let’s Go Duke!

Over the air on RSN/Bally Sports South, which is ch. 646 on DirecTV.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    The bad news is that if it's raining too hard to go to the game and you live in NC you will not be able to watch the game because of rsn blackout restrictions,
    It’ll be available on Spectrum channel 318. It’s not available LEGALLY to stream for those in the ACC footprint without a cable or TV provider that includes Bally Sports unless the blackout rules have changed (which I doubt.). You can stream on the Bally app within the footprint, or ESPN outside.

If Ian does hit Durham Saturday, my guess is that the game will be rescheduled, perhaps for Sunday if conditions permit. I doubt TPTB will want a repeat of Hurricane Saturday when all three Triangle teams played in bad storms ( we beat Army that day.)

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    If Ian does hit Durham Saturday, my guess is that the game will be rescheduled, perhaps for Sunday if conditions permit. I doubt TPTB will want a repeat of Hurricane Saturday when all three Triangle teams played in bad storms ( we beat Army that day.)
    It's still too early to worry about it. Accuweather now says it's out of the area by Saturday AM, which means UVA could bus down day of game or more likely Thursday night. I'm tired of hearing about how VT cost UNC a Coastal title during that hurricane (which was played at the same time as our Army game). I recall a Thursday night game later that season that dismissed that narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by duke2x;1519643[B
    ]It's still too early to worry about it[/B].
    THIS

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    I think I remember a home game against Army played during the remnants of a hurricane.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    I think I remember a home game against Army played during ̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶r̶e̶m̶n̶a̶n̶t̶s̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶ a hurricane.
    FIFY

Living on the coast, I'm watching of course. Thankfully at worst, it looks like it will be a wet game. This will be the third tropical event in very recent memory that attends a Duke home game. (The other didn't affect Durham too much, but my gf was not happy at all that I left her to batten down the hatches in New Bern.)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

All channels carrying the game:
    https://theacc.com/sports/2022/9/21/...A_DUKE_22.aspx

Outside of the blackout zone, for which there is unlikely to be a map, the game can be seen on ESPN3, so less restrictive than recent years.

I think I remember a home game against Army played during the remnants of a hurricane.
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    FIFY

Living on the coast, I'm watching of course. Thankfully at worst, it looks like it will be a wet game. This will be the third tropical event in very recent memory that attends a Duke home game. (The other didn't affect Durham too much, but my gf was not happy at all that I left her to batten down the hatches in New Bern.)
    As CB&B said, he, I and a dozen others were tailgating in Blue Devil Alley. We were the only ones in the Card Gym parking lot and the parking Nazi made three us us move our cars with the threat of being towed. We beat Army in the rain and wind. Good thing we’re weren’t playing Navy - they could have handled the water better! LOL!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post
    It's still too early to worry about it. Accuweather now says it's out of the area by Saturday AM, which means UVA could bus down day of game or more likely Thursday night. I'm tired of hearing about how VT cost UNC a Coastal title during that hurricane (which was played at the same time as our Army game). I recall a Thursday night game later that season that dismissed that narrative.
    AccuWeather is in the extreme minority Hurricane center has the storm along a line with Savannah early on Saturday. Blocking high up north is expected to slow progress and result in high rainfall totals

I checked in on the Syracuse/UVA game when it was 13-0 Cuse and UVA wasn't doing much of anything. Credit to their defense to make Syracuse have to opt for FGs instead of TDs but its one that could have gotten away from them. Honestly its hard to get a read on either team, but this is not Bronco's UVA. They got wrecked by Illinois, squeeked by ODU, doubled up FCS Richmond. The offense is still a mess, and the defense has looked suspect outside of Syracuse. This is a game that Duke could win if they play well.

So the truths we discovered about Duke after KU are these things.

1. The offense is good, but still struggles to finish drives on occasion. Its still clicking pretty well.

2. The defense struggled against dynamic playmakers, but can make plays on occasion. Its still bend but don't break and Elko is doing what he can with Cut's players.

3. Team morale is 100% better. Last years Duke team would have given up when it was 21-10 and it would have ended up 45-13 or something like that. This team fought and had a chance to tie at the end. This is the one of the main things I wanted to see if it would improve. Would this team fight back? So thats encouraging.

This game hinges on Duke improving on what it struggled with against KU. If it can clean up the missed tackles, and if the D can put pressure on the UVA QB, I think Duke wins. I hope UVA expects to just win this game because its Duke on the other end. That staff is gone and they may find out the hard way that this is not that team.

ABC's national game of the week in primetime on Sat is NCSU and Clemson, probably the biggest regular season game in the ACC this year. That will drag a lot of eyeballs, locally especially away from our game.

...and by remnants....you mean the peak of the impact for the Triangle area....

The current line has decreased to Duke -2

I don’t think Duke enters this game more than -3 but think they could win by more than that. I have a good feeling about Duke’s prospects of getting a win this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    Over the air on RSN/Bally Sports South, which is ch. 646 on DirecTV.
    Spectrum Greensboro - channel 51

I went to the Notre Dame-State game in Raleigh that day. We made it to halftime. Hurricane Matthew was not in remnants yet. Neither team could do anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Chillduck View Post
    I went to the Notre Dame-State game in Raleigh that day. We made it to halftime. Hurricane Matthew was not in remnants yet. Neither team could do anything.
    The only reason that Duke Army wasn't a swamp like UNC/VT and ND/NCSU is because of the new field and its ability to drain water. Supposedly this was the game that cost Duke's commitment from Jack Sears, citing low turnout or whatever. Turns out Duke didn't miss out on anything of note there.