Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    Since I asked the question and got several responses here is the summary of Massey and ESPN.
    The first number is percent chance of winning per Massey and the second per ESPN.

GT 56 60
    unc 37 43
    Miami 36 24
    BC 54 67
    VT 53 80

Pitt 31 29
    WF 32 38
    7 wins and this Duke team heads back to the Pin Stripe type bowl game again.

Was at the game last night! One of the more enjoyable ones I've seen us play in years.

We're definitely a work in progress, but the differences from the last couple Cut years are obvious. The team looks way more organized, and screen passes notwithstanding, the play calls are so much better. Best thing about the defense is the renewed energy and being in a lot more places to make some plays. Biggest concern for me are some of the misdirection wide plays. Gotta have some defenders out there.

Beating Virginia was a big deal. Hopefully we end a few more negative streaks before the year is done. Go Duke!

The general admission tickets are GONE for the UNC game. I have a plea for 2 GA tix on the ticket board. Yep, the FOOTBALL board, lol.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

A really nice win. I still think the D needs some work (QBs have forever to throw the ball, WRs are wide open too often). The offense is good but the play calling can be a bit too conservative (maybe keeping it simple for a first time starter QB).

I'm ecstatic that Duke is 4-1 (1-0 in the ACC).

Maybe I am being sensitive, but I thought the announcers had a distinctive UVA lean.

The game is being re-broadcast on Bally Sports South right now - 1:00-4:30.

Quote Originally Posted by SavDukeGrad View Post
    The game is being re-broadcast on Bally Sports South right now - 1:00-4:30.
    Thanks for the heads up! It is also available for replay on the Bally Sports app (and presumably on the website directly) if you have a TV provider login.

I was so pumped after this victory last night, that I stayed up way too late reading every article that I could find, listening to the post game pressers, and even venturing over to one of the UVa sites to see what their fan base had to say!

If you want to be even more impressed by Mike Elko, listen to his post game presser on goduke.com. I like him more every time I listen to one of these.

Ja’Mion Franklin says he is down 25 pounds, and credits 2 assistants specifically with his improvement.

And although most are willing to give him more time, some UVa fans are ready to give up on Tony Elliott, and wondering why they didn’t consider Mike Elko. 😉

And I agree with others who have said that the Kansas coach may be the front runner for national coach of the year, but Mike Elko has to be leading the race for ACC coach of the year at this point! I love this hire more every week!

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    GT looks totally rejuvenated by the coaching change. It will be a real test in Atlanta.
    The new-manager-bounce effect is well documented in European football, where a combination of relief and desire to impress the new manager often produces a very above-average next match.

It seldom lasts two matches.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I was so pumped after this victory last night, that I stayed up way too late reading every article that I could find, listening to the post game pressers, and even venturing over to one of the UVa sites to see what their fan base had to say!

If you want to be even more impressed by Mike Elko, listen to his post game presser on goduke.com. I like him more every time I listen to one of these.

Ja’Mion Franklin says he is down 25 pounds, and credits 2 assistants specifically with his improvement.

And although most are willing to give him more time, some UVa fans are ready to give up on Tony Elliott, and wondering why they didn’t consider Mike Elko. 😉

And I agree with others who have said that the Kansas coach may be the front runner for national coach of the year, but Mike Elko has to be leading the race for ACC coach of the year at this point! I love this hire more every week!
    I like this quote.
    To compare Virginia’s dreary effort Saturday night to the gloomy conditions – a steady mist and drizzle – that rolled through Wallace Wade Stadium wouldn’t be fair to the weather nor the hurricane that left behind those remnants.

The Cavaliers were more depressing.

https://dailyprogress.com/sports/vir...361b1c651.html
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by AustinDevil View Post
    The new-manager-bounce effect is well documented in European football, where a combination of relief and desire to impress the new manager often produces a very above-average next match.

It seldom lasts two matches.
    Equally observable in American football, and it rarely does last two games....

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Equally observable in American football, and it rarely does last two games...
    Ted Roof relieved Franks at Duke and won his first game vs GT, his alma mater...hoping GT calms down next week...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Ted Roof relieved Franks at Duke and won his first game vs GT, his alma mater...hoping GT calms down next week...
    I consider it our duty to help them with that.

!
    What has Elliot done besides turn an offense with Trevor Lawrence, Travis Etienne and great receivers into a slightly above average offense??? I was SO happy Duke didn't get him. I'm sure they're already done with him at UVa...the fans that is. I thought a horrible hire.

I think the GT game followed competitive losses to NCSU and Tennessee, but that whipping of Georgia Tech on a beautiful day is still one of my all time favorites. Clemson thrashed us next but then the season ended with bell ringing in Kenan. I’ll admit I was drinking the Ted Roof Kool-Aid that Fall. Turns out he was a football Jim Jones, with a more bashful demeanor.

So, results may vary.

If you’re retired with not much to do at the moment, the Duke V Virginia game is being replayed by Bally Sports South.
    Duke has the ball to start the second. Follow me on Twitter for replay game highlights.

I'm still savoring the 7:30 drive in the fourth quarter which put the game away, all running plays, VA didn't even try to stop the clock. That was nice.

Bally Sports is the YouTube TVer's bane for ACC Sports.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    Bally Sports is the YouTube TVer's bane for ACC Sports.
    Really any of the streaming TV carriers. I think only one or two of them have Bally.

A year or so ago several of my friends insisted they always got what they wanted from streaming (I pay a lot for DirecTV and sports packages). Now I don't hear that from them. One of my pleasures in life is watching Duke sports, and I don't mind biting the bullet to pay for them.

A year or so ago several of my friends insisted they always got what they wanted from streaming (I pay a lot for DirecTV and sports packages). Now I don't hear that from them. One of my pleasures in life is watching Duke sports, and I don't mind biting the bullet to pay for them.
    Agree with this, I pay too much for Spectrum but enjoy the ability to watch what I want when I want it. We rationalize this cost since we refuse to buy overpriced coffee outside the home.

Everyone budgets differently.

13 game ACC losing streak... DEAD! 7 game losing streak to Virginia... DEAD!

That was a fun night at the Wade. Sad to see a slight drizzle keep people away. Hopefully we'll have a nice crowd when that lot comes to town in two weeks.

The good:
    - Efficiency is the key to punching above your weight (which we'll have to do unless/until Elko can ramp up recruiting). Remember the magical 2013 season where we were nearly perfect in goal to go situations? Well, Saturday was a bit like that. We outgained Virginia 377 to 295. The yards per play numbers were more modest, with a 5.2 ypp to 4.8 ypp advantage. Neither of those figures guarantees a win, let alone a blowout. How did we do it? Efficiency. Our first 4 redzone trips ended in touchdowns. Our 5th ended in a field goal on a drive where we didn't even pretend to throw a pass.

- Defense. I'll admit I was down on the defense after last week, and they responded. "Bend but don't break" remains the order of the day. Virginia had just two pass plays over 20 yards, and their longest run was for 15. A key possession was the one that came right after the field goal snafu. UVA took over with good field position with a chance to make it a 2-score game in the 3rd quarter. We forced them to run 13 plays over 5 minutes only to kick a FG that kept it a 3-score game.

- Balanced offense. Sometimes balance means you lean on one unit one week, then another unit the next. This week, the running game stepped up. 250 yards rushing is very nice, and several backs contributed. We broke their will with that long TD run by Moore, then that long drive for the late FG that sealed the game.

The bad:

- Longsnapping was an adventure all game. I noticed several high snaps on PATs, and then we had one that cost us a FG attempt. Not sure what was going on there.

- The passing game took a backseat. On balance this isn't all that bad, but we lacked explosiveness in the passing game. UVA shut down our screen passes, and receivers were not able to make plays downfield. Riley Leonard was accurate (18/24) and made good decisions, but a lot of his passes didn't go very far.

The realistic:

- Okay, I'll say it - it's time to start thinking about a bowl game in year 1! That feels good.

- There's two sides to every game, and man, Virginia was bad. The penalties, the turnovers, the demoralized look at the end of the game... hate to say it, but that looked to me like a poorly coached team. We shouldn't jump to conclusions in year one, of course. But it's clear which team has responded better to the coaching change. Tony Elliott said this week that he chose Virginia over Duke because they have more history and tradition (he must be unaware that football existed before the 1980s) and that he considered Elko as a candidate for defensive coordinator... I'm still chuckling at that one.