Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Proctor and Grandison

Has anyone seen or heard how Proctor and Grandison are performing in practices.

Maybe we'll get a peek when Duke Blue Planet episode 1 drops tonight at 8.

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    From the short clips the social media team has been putting out, both seem heavily involved, and Grandison seems to be unhampered by whatever injury kept him out over the summer. But as Billy said, we haven't had any extended footage in a little while, so we should have a better picture tonight.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Well, we didn’t really get any game action in the Duke Blue Planet video. It was cool to meet 3 of the 4 grad transfers, Young, Johns and Catchings as they attend their Fuqua classes. They seem like some sharp fellas. It is such an odd mix this year, literally a team of freshman and grad transfers plus Roach and Blakes.

The dichotomy between the freshmen and the grad students stood out to me as well. Having a whole new team including the coaches is something we just can’t overlook. We have talent and the potential will be there but I think fans will need to be patient as we take our lumps early.

The DBP production was outstanding as always. Such a privilege to get this kind of content.

Proctor

Here's a tweet by someone who covers Duke basketball, summarizing what Scheyer had to say about Proctor recently. Sounds like good news, but I'm sure that Scheyer learned coachspeak from the master.

https://twitter.com/Dukeblogger/stat...3tcr_-IU3pD-fA

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Here's a tweet by someone who covers Duke basketball, summarizing what Scheyer had to say about Proctor recently. Sounds like good news, but I'm sure that Scheyer learned coachspeak from the master.

https://twitter.com/Dukeblogger/stat...3tcr_-IU3pD-fA
    Coach speak is tough to learn. I do think what Scheyer has said is a little generic, and that goes hand-in-hand with coach speak.

I really hope what Scheyer says is true. Cus if so, we'd have 2-3 players who can penetrate and finish. That would be amazing.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Coach speak is tough to learn. I do think what Scheyer has said is a little generic, and that goes hand-in-hand with coach speak.

I really hope what Scheyer says is true. Cus if so, we'd have 2-3 players who can penetrate and finish. That would be amazing.
    I'm more confident in Proctor's play translating from what we've seen on tape to what we see in a Duke uniform than any incoming freshman we've had in recent years given the level of competition he faced, both in Australia and internationally. We can have the argument again about whether FIBA Asia is >, < or = ACC ball again, but I think we can all agree it's closer to ACC ball than your typical high school game or AAU game (with the exception of maybe the basketball factory schools like Montverde). Proctor was playing impactful defense, scoring at the rim, and making tough 3s in the FIBA Asia Cup, and I expect him to do all those things in a Duke uniform, perhaps after some adjustment time to the US game.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

With our front court this year driving and finishing are sprinkles, not ice cream. We need some shooters to take advantage of what I suspect will be an incredibly crowded front court.

well

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    I'm more confident in Proctor's play translating from what we've seen on tape to what we see in a Duke uniform than any incoming freshman we've had in recent years given the level of competition he faced, both in Australia and internationally. We can have the argument again about whether FIBA Asia is >, < or = ACC ball again, but I think we can all agree it's closer to ACC ball than your typical high school game or AAU game (with the exception of maybe the basketball factory schools like Montverde). Proctor was playing impactful defense, scoring at the rim, and making tough 3s in the FIBA Asia Cup, and I expect him to do all those things in a Duke uniform, perhaps after some adjustment time to the US game.
    He'll need some adjustment time for the northern hemisphere version of the Coriolis effect.

He'll need some adjustment time for the northern hemisphere version of the Coriolis effect.
    it'll only matter on shots that circle the rim, shouldn't be a problem for the "swish" shots he'll be making.
    So, will the ball circling around the rim in the opposite direction affect his confidence? Maybe Jack White can be called upon to help develop the proper compensation techniques...

Coach speak with or without the swearing?

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Coach speak with or without the swearing?
    I don't have any insider knowledge or proof, but if I had to bet I would bet that Schemer will drop fewer f-bombs than Coach K did. Just a hunch (and the fact that it wouldn't take much to clear that bar, lol).

Footage of Dariq shooting around yesterday via Mark Watson
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dolG5mjP3Cs

In SAfrica now and just observed the clockwise motion around the tub drain

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    I don't have any insider knowledge or proof, but if I had to bet I would bet that Schemer will drop fewer f-bombs than Coach K did. Just a hunch (and the fact that it wouldn't take much to clear that bar, lol).
    interest autocorrect on that one! Coach Schemer!

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    Exactly - Proctor was playing against grown men and playing well. This bodes well for the upcoming season.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    Footage of Dariq shooting around yesterday via Mark Watson
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dolG5mjP3Cs
    That’s great to see, even if the lift on his jump shot rivaled mine.

Jacob Grandison

Read Adam Rowe's piece. Very big role for Grandison.Keels replacement I believe will be an improvement,because of his experience and Grandison wants to take one for the Team.
    https://247sports.com/college/duke/A...se--194313015/
    On what Jacob Grandison brings:
    "His ability to stretch the floor is key, but I think his best quality is he's a winner. He knows how to play the game, and he knows how to make others better. He plays at a great pace. He's not about himself. He's not about his statistics; he's about one thing, and that's did we win or not. That's when you have a guy like that and he is somebody else that can defend really multiple positions. On the offensive end, he can space he can, he can drive, and he's a really good passer. I can't say enough about the impact that he's made so far for us. He's been terrific."
    On the addition of Tyrese Proctor:
    "Tyrese is a really good player. His international experience has really served him well with knowing how to play through contact, knowing how to play with really good pace, and he's somebody that can score it, he can pass it, he can defend. He's really easy to play with. He's easy to coach, off the court, he's done everything we've asked. It's been great having him, and for someone that missed the summer, to get adjusted as quickly as he has is pretty remarkable. Obviously we have big expectations as we move forward, but his ability to make others better, while also scoring and doing what he does is a big asset for us that we have to continue to develop and help him come along just to get a feel for the college game. It's just different. And so I think that's the next transition for him just to understand how the college game is played."
    Last edited by heyman25; 09-29-2022 at 04:21 AM.

Pace?

Quote Originally Posted by heyman25 View Post
    Read Adam Rowe's piece. Very big role for Grandison.Keels replacement I believe will be an improvement,because of his experience and Grandison wants to take one for the Team.
    https://247sports.com/college/duke/A...se--194313015/
    On what Jacob Grandison brings:
    "His ability to stretch the floor is key, but I think his best quality is he's a winner. He knows how to play the game, and he knows how to make others better. He plays at a great pace. He's not about himself. He's not about his statistics; he's about one thing, and that's did we win or not. That's when you have a guy like that and he is somebody else that can defend really multiple positions. On the offensive end, he can space he can, he can drive, and he's a really good passer. I can't say enough about the impact that he's made so far for us. He's been terrific."
    On the addition of Tyrese Proctor:
    "Tyrese is a really good player. His international experience has really served him well with knowing how to play through contact, knowing how to play with really good pace, and he's somebody that can score it, he can pass it, he can defend. He's really easy to play with. He's easy to coach, off the court, he's done everything we've asked. It's been great having him, and for someone that missed the summer, to get adjusted as quickly as he has is pretty remarkable. Obviously we have big expectations as we move forward, but his ability to make others better, while also scoring and doing what he does is a big asset for us that we have to continue to develop and help him come along just to get a feel for the college game. It's just different. And so I think that's the next transition for him just to understand how the college game is played."
    Interesting quotes, but they raise the question "what is pace, in the context of college basketball". Is this the modern version of John Wooden's statement: "be quick, but don't hurry"?