Thread: Electric Bikes

Electric Bikes

I thinking about buying an electric bike...probably a commuter. Does anyone have any experience with electric bikes? Can you give me some tips? What brands should I consider? What some options I should look for? Anything you think I should know to make the process go more smoothly. I appreciate any input....good or bad.

Quote Originally Posted by plimnko View Post
    I thinking about buying an electric bike...probably a commuter. Does anyone have any experience with electric bikes? Can you give me some tips? What brands should I consider? What some options I should look for? Anything you think I should know to make the process go more smoothly. I appreciate any input...good or bad.
    My experience is almost 20 years old, but I have a Giant with a very heavy battery I rode in Seattle to commute. Was a workhorse. Had the "pedal assist" option. Was lots of fun. Cost about $3k at the time.

My wife wants one that can carry kids/stuff so I'm intrigued by this too. This article just popped on my news feed today ironically: https://www.treehugger.com/america-e...rouble-6591205

Not saying to not get an ebike, but found it interesting nonetheless and things to perhaps consider. Seems to be more about the bike road infrastructure in the US compared to Europe.

Some concerns regarding e-bike safety are detailed here:

A Pacific Palisades girl died in an electric bike crash. Her parents see greater danger

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2022-08-05/e-bike-crash-death-daughter-manufacturer-to-blame-rad-power-bikes

Big issues in NYC

Not relevant, but we have major issue with eBikes used by individuals and delivery folks riding on sidewalks, ignoring traffic lights and stop signs, etc.

Has become a political issue here between pedestrians, car folks and the "greenies".

Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    Not relevant, but we have major issue with eBikes used by individuals and delivery folks riding on sidewalks, ignoring traffic lights and stop signs, etc.

Has become a political issue here between pedestrians, car folks and the "greenies".
    Yea, I’ve almost been hit a few times in NYC (Columbus Ave. seems especially bad) by the nuts on e-bikes, going very fast in the bike lanes. You really have to be alert when crossing, because, unlike a motorcycle, they make very little noise.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    My experience is almost 20 years old, but I have a Giant with a very heavy battery I rode in Seattle to commute. Was a workhorse. Had the "pedal assist" option. Was lots of fun. Cost about $3k at the time.
    I was at my local bike store last Summer and they had a fancy Specialized electric road bike for sale for the bargain price of $14,998! (And financing was available)

Quote Originally Posted by duke79 View Post
    I was at my local bike store last Summer and they had a fancy Specialized electric road bike for sale for the bargain price of $14,998! (And financing was available)
    If you take the "8" away, you'll be closer to my price range. I'm just looking for a little fun, some exercise, and fresh air. I live in southern Durham and have convenient access to the Tobacco Trail plus a pretty good backroad route to Cameron. I just don't know too much about e-bikes and Google is an information overload.

Good to see this thread. I was considering getting my daughter, who does not drive yet, an e-bike. I live in CA in the Silicon Valley, and it's very crowded on the roads with all levels of drivers. I was thinking and somewhat concerned about safety. Now I'm more concerned to the point that this idea is going on hold (I wish public transportation was better, but that's for another thread/rant). Perhaps an e-bike would be better suited to less crowded areas. Or areas where lanes for vehicles other than cars are more clearly defined, planned out, etc.

I appreciate the links here.

9F
    I will never talk about That Game. GTHC.

Quote Originally Posted by kako View Post
    Good to see this thread. I was considering getting my daughter, who does not drive yet, an e-bike. I live in CA in the Silicon Valley, and it's very crowded on the roads with all levels of drivers. I was thinking and somewhat concerned about safety. Now I'm more concerned to the point that this idea is going on hold (I wish public transportation was better, but that's for another thread/rant). Perhaps an e-bike would be better suited to less crowded areas. Or areas where lanes for vehicles other than cars are more clearly defined, planned out, etc.

I appreciate the links here.

9F
    My electric bike was a joy in Seattle - so many dedicated bike paths, bike lanes, etc. In Asheville there is a growing system of greenways, but you are taking your life in your hands on roads.

My electric bike was a joy in Seattle - so many dedicated bike paths, bike lanes, etc. In Asheville there is a growing system of greenways, but you are taking your life in your hands on roads.
    So an e-bike for day trip down Town Mountain Road isn't your idea of fun? :-)

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    So an e-bike for day trip down Town Mountain Road isn't your idea of fun? :-)
    Better than a manual bike trip UP Town Mountain Rd.

Better than a manual bike trip UP Town Mountain Rd.
    A good friend of mine used to live on TMR. One morning we left his apartment and pedaled up TMR for what seemed like forever (was probably 20 minutes...felt like I went 100 yards). I thought what I'd remember was that uphill climb (with cars wizzing by). Then we started down hill. I love speed, I'm not easily scared by it even when I should be. At one point I was going around a curve on his road bike and realized how fast I was going as I leaned into a curve with the drop off on the other side...scared me more than the cars and and the climb. e-bike would have been good for the climb though.

I've got an Aventon Sinch.

Foldable fat-tire eBike. 40 mile range. Use it to get into areas that are otherwise inaccessible in my Honda Civic when I'm headed through the national wildlife refuges in eastern NC. I've loved it - it really is a remarkable product. They are heavy and they do go fast - it'd be easy to get hurt. https://www.aventon.com/products/ave...1_435449577327

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    A good friend of mine used to live on TMR. One morning we left his apartment and pedaled up TMR for what seemed like forever (was probably 20 minutes...felt like I went 100 yards). I thought what I'd remember was that uphill climb (with cars wizzing by). Then we started down hill. I love speed, I'm not easily scared by it even when I should be. At one point I was going around a curve on his road bike and realized how fast I was going as I leaned into a curve with the drop off on the other side...scared me more than the cars and and the climb. e-bike would have been good for the climb though.
    My wife was once making a left turn off of Town Mountain Rd near town, and nearly clipped a bike that was hurtling around a corner at a ridiculous speed. That definitely made it seem far less appealing to me.

That and just the concept of going uphill that steep for that long makes my legs sore.

there are SO many options these days.. you need to talk to a few shops and outline your desires, capabilities and budget and you can be informed as to what might work best.