Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
I agree that the clue was a bit deceptively worded, but Ken doesn't write the clues, obviously. I think he did the best he could given the way the clue was written. Perhaps he could have emphasized the word 'capitol' a little more?
But in the end this was also one that I got for the same reason that you got it, so I guess it wasn't totally unfair.
I just watched this Monday game - I missed that clue, but managed to pick up a bunch of others, ending up with $7,000 total for the episode ($3,000 in the Jeopardy round, $4,000 in the Double Jeopardy round, including one of the two missed Daily Doubles).

On the topic of missed Daily Doubles, though, yet another completely incomprehensible bet on a Daily Double in the last clue of the round. Our defending champion got it. He was sitting at $10k, with the competitors at $8600 and $8400. So no matter what, he can guarantee himself the top spot heading into Final Jeopardy by betting no more than $1399. But for some reason he makes a $2000 bet. There is zero point to this. It doesn’t get him a runaway if he’s right, and if he’s wrong - which he was! - it drops him from 1st to 3rd going into FJ, which is a huge disadvantage. Lucky for him, he was the only contestant to get FJ right, but he put himself in position to lose when he didn’t have to and when the bet, even if successful, didn’t materially improve his chance to win.