Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Anybody interested in playing 'unique knowledge Jeopardy'?

I had this idea, and maybe it won't work that well, but here goes nothing. When I am watching Jeopardy, sometimes I know the answer to questions that none of the contestants get. When that happens, I sometimes say 'that money is rightfully mine!' (It's a relatively obscure pop culture reference, by the way.)

Anyway, that got me to thinking that maybe we could make a game out of it. The rules would be as follows:
    1) You can only make money on answers that nobody gets right. It doesn't matter whether nobody rang in, or whether some or all of them rang in and missed it; either way it is up for you to grab.
    2)You have to know the answer without looking anything up, and you have to respond before the host gives the correct answer.
    3) You score the amount of money that the question was worth.
    4) For Daily Doubles, you can score only what the contestant wagered, and of course you only make money in the event the contestant misses it but you get it right.
    5) For final Jeopardy, if you know the answer but none of the contestants gets it right, you score the highest amount that any contestant wagers.
    6) You can't lose money no matter what. That is to say, if everybody gets it wrong, or if the contestant playing the Daily Double gets it wrong and you do, too, it's 'no harm, no foul.'
    7) The game is on the honor system.

That's it. It's really simple.

When the questions are pretty easy or there is a really great contestant on the show, the pickings are slim, because if the contestants don't miss any questions you can't make any money at all. Remember that the idea is to score by knowing something that none of the contestants know.

If anybody is interested, all you have to do is watch Jeopardy and keep track of your score. Then you can post in the thread how you did. Maybe at the end of each week we can see who had the most 'unique knowledge.'

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    I had this idea, and maybe it won't work that well, but here goes nothing. When I am watching Jeopardy, sometimes I know the answer to questions that none of the contestants get. When that happens, I sometimes say 'that money is rightfully mine!' (It's a relatively obscure pop culture reference, by the way.)

Anyway, that got me to thinking that maybe we could make a game out of it. The rules would be as follows:
    1) You can only make money on answers that nobody gets right. It doesn't matter whether nobody rang in, or whether some or all of them rang in and missed it; either way it is up for you to grab.
    2)You have to know the answer without looking anything up, and you have to respond before the host gives the correct answer.
    4) For Daily Doubles, you can score only what the contestant wagered, and of course you only make money in the event the contestant misses it but you get it right.
    5) For final Jeopardy, if you know the answer but none of the contestants gets it right, you score the highest amount that any contestant wagers.
    6) You can't lose money no matter what. That is to say, if everybody gets it wrong, or if the contestant playing the Daily Double gets it wrong and you do, too, it's 'no harm, no foul.'

When the questions are pretty easy or there is a really great contestant on the show, the pickings are slim, because if the contestants don't miss any questions you can't make any money at all. Remember that the idea is to score by knowing something that none of the contestants know.

If anybody is interested, all you have to do is watch Jeopardy and keep track of your score. Then you can post in the thread how you did. Maybe at the end of each week we can see who had the most 'unique knowledge.'
    So I love this. Great idea. Probably won't participate, but I hope people do.

I love trivia and Jeopardy, but somehow we fell way behind and now I have 300+ episodes on my DVR and combined with several years of my wife's Hallmark Christmas movies she hasn't watched, our DVR is regularly at 99%.

I love when I get those triple stumpers! I actually need to sit down and keep stats at some point, but I would guess my average correct percentage is around 75-80%.
    I usually score in the low 40's on the online tests [out of 50] (although I haven't done one since before the pandemic).

Anyway, I'm super intrigued by this idea, but not sure if I can find time currently to squeeze in 5 episodes per week (since I'd have to see every question and not skip to Double or even Final Jeopardy to save time).
    A text without a context is a pretext.

How many triple stumpers are there on average per game? Any idea?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    How many triple stumpers are there on average per game? Any idea?
    It varies a lot. Some days there are five or six or even more. Some days there are only one to three.

There is some money to be made because often it is the higher dollar questions that are missed, or a contestant will bet big on a Daily Double and miss it.

I went through a six month stretch in the spring of watching every night with my then second-grader. We had a ritual where if he knew one he got a high five, and if I got one none of the contestants got I got a high five. It was fun.

I like your idea a lot but have not been watching much lately. If I do watch I might try it. Thanks!

Started watching a bit this past week for the first time in a long time because an old school friend ended up with a short win streak, and it piqued my eight year old's curiosity. I am not always home by the time it airs, but if I can catch enough episodes, I may chime in on the unique knowledge side. Thanks for the suggestion, rsvman!

Quote Originally Posted by IrishDevil View Post
    Started watching a bit this past week for the first time in a long time because an old school friend ended up with a short win streak, and it piqued my eight year old's curiosity. I am not always home by the time it airs, but if I can catch enough episodes, I may chime in on the unique knowledge side. Thanks for the suggestion, rsvman!
    One thing that's interesting to me is Jeopardy! is primetime most places, right? For me, it airs around 4pm.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    I haven't watched Jeopardy in a long time but I might try this, not promising though.

I will throw out something that I did once to see if anybody here can match it. While watching Jeopardy on a visit with my parents, I got the Final Jeopardy question correct simply from the category reveal. Has anybody else managed to do that?

It was awhile ago, Alex said, "The Final Jeopardy category is . . . Famous Routes" and I immediately knew the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    I haven't watched Jeopardy in a long time but I might try this, not promising though.

I will throw out something that I did once to see if anybody here can match it. While watching Jeopardy on a visit with my parents, I got the Final Jeopardy question correct simply from the category reveal. Has anybody else managed to do that?

It was awhile ago, Alex said, "The Final Jeopardy category is . . . Famous Routes" and I immediately knew the answer.
    A couple of times. There were a couple of cases like that for me. They gave the category and it was the initial thing that popped into my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    A couple of times. There were a couple of cases like that for me. They gave the category and it was the initial thing that popped into my mind.
    I know that in a recent tournament of champions the Final Jeopardy answer had to do with Shakespeare. Super easy. For me. None of the contestants got it right. Don't remember what it was though now. I just went and looked it up, nope, I was wrong, Ken Jennings got it right too. It wasn't the tournament of champions, it was the greatest of all time thingy. Easy, easy Final Jeopardy for a Shakespeare geek like me.
    Last edited by Bostondevil; 09-17-2022 at 08:55 PM.

Without knowing anything more I would guess, in order:

Route 66
    Silk Road
    El Camino Real
    Oregon Trail
    Santa Fe Trail
    Wilderness Road (Cumberland Gap)

Quote Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post
    I'm headed west through here, to Johnson City, Tennessee.

I have done this precisely once. The category was children’s literature and the correct response was Where The Wild Things Are. This was, roughly, 25 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post

I’m down for this. I’m often traveling during the week so frequently watching on tape delay, but will try to track nonetheless.

You can do this without relying on memory. The Jeopardy! Archive lists all clues and responses for each episode. Go to Season 39, which started Monday, and pick an episode.

This is not an elegant solution. One problem is that you have to move your cursor over the dollar amount of each clue to see the answer, and who, if anyone, got it right. (That's on a desktop computer. I wouldn't know how to even read this site on, say, a phone.) So for Monday's episode the triple stumpers were...

On the Road Again, $1200: An uphill bike race is held annually in Burlington, Iowa, on this alley seen here, named for a type of critter

jeopardyclue.jpg

Spoiler!

On the Road Again, $1600: This 2,460-mile interstate stretches coast to coast, passing the Superdome & Tucson's Pima Air & Space Museum

Spoiler!

11-Letter Words, $800: In 1949 Joseph Sobek created this soon-popular game played within 4 walls

Spoiler!

11-Letter Words, $1600: A homeless person may still have a place indoors to sleep; this is the term for someone sleeping on the streets

Spoiler!

Canadian History, $2000: A World Heritage Site, these Newfoundland meadows contain the first evidence of Europeans in the New World

jeopardyclue2.jpg

Spoiler!

That's So Sir/Reel!, $1200: The maitre d' at L'Idiot in "L.A. Story" & also giving a thoughtful performance in "X-Men"

(Ken: You'll have to name the knighted star of each film.)

Spoiler!

I got three of them, the first two and the last one. This thread would be terrific if someone could deliver every episode's triple stumpers like this, but to be honest, this was kind of a pain to do. The image links on the archive page do not work, so the images I provided are different than the ones on the show. And finding the clues that were triple stumpers is a tedious process. I know from the official website box score and The Jeopardy! Fan that there were 6 triple stumpers that day, but they don't identify them.

If you're really into this, the J!Board has a separate thread for each episode, and users tend to talk about the triple stumpers. Here's the thread for Monday's episode. I will say that I'm totally into Jeopardy!, having watched more of it than any other show in my life, and even I'm not that interested in signing up for that board or visiting it all that often.

Without knowing anything more I would guess, in order:

Route 66
    Silk Road
    El Camino Real
    Oregon Trail
    Santa Fe Trail
    So what was it, BD ?? I'm dying to know, haha.
    I'm sticking with my first choice though!

So what was it, BD ?? I'm dying to know, haha.
    I'm sticking with my first choice though!
    Sorry, snowden . . .

What is the Appian Way?

Side note: The is a street near Harvard Square in Cambridge, Massachusetts called Appian Way. It is one block long. I love this.
    Last edited by Bostondevil; 09-18-2022 at 09:50 PM.

Sorry, snowden . . .

What is the Appian Way?

Side note: The is a street near Harvard Square in Cambridge, Massachusetts called Appian Way. It is one block long. I love this.
    Oh, that makes sense too, ha!

I should have known - it's even my favorite movement from Respighi's Pines of Rome (and those are some tough choices!)

Sorry, snowden . . .

What is the Appian Way?
    I remember it from years ago as a boxed pizza kit.