Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    I agree that the clue was a bit deceptively worded, but Ken doesn't write the clues, obviously. I think he did the best he could given the way the clue was written. Perhaps he could have emphasized the word 'capitol' a little more?
    But in the end this was also one that I got for the same reason that you got it, so I guess it wasn't totally unfair.
    I just watched this Monday game - I missed that clue, but managed to pick up a bunch of others, ending up with $7,000 total for the episode ($3,000 in the Jeopardy round, $4,000 in the Double Jeopardy round, including one of the two missed Daily Doubles).

On the topic of missed Daily Doubles, though, yet another completely incomprehensible bet on a Daily Double in the last clue of the round. Our defending champion got it. He was sitting at $10k, with the competitors at $8600 and $8400. So no matter what, he can guarantee himself the top spot heading into Final Jeopardy by betting no more than $1399. But for some reason he makes a $2000 bet. There is zero point to this. It doesn’t get him a runaway if he’s right, and if he’s wrong - which he was! - it drops him from 1st to 3rd going into FJ, which is a huge disadvantage. Lucky for him, he was the only contestant to get FJ right, but he put himself in position to lose when he didn’t have to and when the bet, even if successful, didn’t materially improve his chance to win.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Tonight was a tough game. There was only one opportunity in the Jeopardy Round, and only five in the Double Jeopardy Round.
    I thought the Willa Cather book question was pretty easy, but it took me too long to come up with the answer. I was really surprised the Japanese empower was a triple stumper. It wasn't hard at all. Sadly, that's the best I could do, as well.
    On the plus side, it was an interesting game tonight.
    I got $4400 out of a possible $9000+. Hard to go back and track the $ amounts once you've realized it's a no-answer in play.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    I got $4400 out of a possible $9000+. Hard to go back and track the $ amounts once you've realized it's a no-answer in play.
    Strong work!

A tough Jeopardy round, with only two chances total. In Double Jeopardy, there were 7 stumpers, a bit more like usual.

Sadly, I was only able to capitalize with one answer; thankfully it was a $1600 question.

If anybody else played, I'm pretty sure somebody did better than I did. I was sad that I missed the thousand dollar question in children's books....

A tough Jeopardy round, with only two chances total. In Double Jeopardy, there were 7 stumpers, a bit more like usual.

Sadly, I was only able to capitalize with one answer; thankfully it was a $1600 question.

If anybody else played, I'm pretty sure somebody did better than I did. I was sad that I missed the thousand dollar question in children's books...
    Yeah, I got that one and probably the same $1600 one you did, so I got $2600. But again, distracted tonight so I did not hear all the answers.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    Yeah, I got that one and probably the same $1600 one you did, so I got $2600. But again, distracted tonight so I did not hear all the answers.
    I got the children’s lit and Malcom X questions for a total of $2600. I might have eventually come up with the $1600 “Sounds like an animal” clue, but my wife blurted out the correct response while I was still scrambling to come up with something.

On the other hand, I could have had all of eternity and I wouldn’t have been able to come up with the singer/actress/Hermes bag question.

Still catching up.

Tuesday’s game I got $6,600 (including Kawhi Leonard Bernstein - love a before and after category)
    Wednesday much weaker - I got $2,800 and just 3 correct triple stumpers (freckles, Thanksgiving, and Hirohito, the latter two of which were both inexplicable stumpers to me)

Wow, was I behind. Here are the triple stumpers and missed Daily Doubles that I got right. Each date links to the Jeopardy! Archive page for that episode.

9/13
    Alphabetically Next $600
    20th Song/21st Ad $800, 1200

9/14
    Literary Characters $1200, 1600

9/15
    TV Title Adjectives $1000

9/16
    Texting Abbrev. $400
    British Literature $1600
    Explorers DD $3000

9/19
    Words Before Words $600
    Hunger for Reading $1000
    Flags $1000
    Jack $1200

9/20
    Heteronyms $600
    Before and After People $1600, 2000
    Genres of Poetry $1600

9/21
    2 Books in 1 $1200
    Emperors $1600

9/22
    Children's Books $1000
    Beyonce Songs $1600
    Sounds Like Animal $1600
    In My Autobiography DD $4000

Nice work, brevity! I take it you got the Willa Cather question. Surprised me that that one turned out to be a triple stumper.

Nice work, brevity! I take it you got the Willa Cather question. Surprised me that that one turned out to be a triple stumper.
    Thanks. To be honest, I didn't even know that I knew two Willa Cather books until I saw the clue.

Tough going in the first round, with only three stumpers, but there were nine in Double Jeopardy, so a lot of cash was up for grabs.

I feel like I need to get more sleep or something, as I only got $400 in the first round and one solitary $2000 clue in the second. It was pretty embarrassing how many stumpers there were in the Bible category andmit only snagged one of them. This is especially distressing because I used to teach the Bible class at church on Sundays. I would have got them all correct on a multiple choice test, but rapid fire I came up short on easy stuff like the birthplace of Paul.
    Oh, well.

Caught up now, and to mirror brevity’s format:

9/22
    Children’s Books $1,000
    Sounds Like an Animal $1,200; $1,600
    In my Autobiography $4,000 (DD)

9/23
    Cutting Back on the Brand $1,000
    Bible Study $1,600
    It’s Only “A” Country $1,600; $3,000 DD

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    9/23
    Cutting Back on the Brand $1,000
    Bible Study $1,600
    It’s Only “A” Country $1,600; $3,000 DD
    9/23
    American History DD $2000, regular $2000
    It's Only "A" Country DD $3000, $1600
    Bible Study $1600

9/23

Going Home: $400
    It’s only “A” country: $1600
    American History: $2000
    Total: $4000

“Horseshoes and Hand Grenades” responses
    Cutting back in the brand: $1000 - I made the same mistake as the first contestant
    Bible Study: $1600 - I guessed the wrong “___sheba”

Was it something like over $18,000 in unclaimed cash last night? I got NONE of it.

Are we tracking weekly totals per the original post? I caught up on last week's episodes last night, after missing Weds thru Fri live. My total for the week of 9/19 thru 9/23 was $12,800. A couple big days in there (including a Daily Double), and a couple days where I only picked up $1,000 or so total.

I started watching some live episodes this week and caught all of Friday’s. Unfortunately I didn’t write anything down but I did run the Bible category, claiming money for Tarsus, Sheba, and Synoptics.

Quote Originally Posted by pcal6vb View Post
    Are we tracking weekly totals per the original post? I caught up on last week's episodes last night, after missing Weds thru Fri live. My total for the week of 9/19 thru 9/23 was $12,800. A couple big days in there (including a Daily Double), and a couple days where I only picked up $1,000 or so total.
    I haven't had time to do it. If you want to, you can feel free to do it. Pretty clear top two or three guys, and i'm not among them, lol. Still fun to play.

Sept 26, 2022 Episode

Friends: $600 (I was surprised that none of the contestants got this one)
    Mountain World: $1600 (This was a guess, had I been on the show I probably wouldn't have buzzed in.)
    Writing Implements: $2000
    Total: $4200

There is a chance I would have also got the $2000 clue in the "S" Words category if my wife hadn't blurted out the correct response immediately - but probably not, as I was drawing a blank initially.

Quote Originally Posted by House P View Post
    Sept 26, 2022 Episode

Friends: $600 (I was surprised that none of the contestants got this one)
    Mountain World: $1600 (This was a guess, had I been on the show I probably wouldn't have buzzed in.)
    Writing Implements: $2000
    Total: $4200

There is a chance I would have also got the $2000 clue in the "S" Words category if my wife hadn't blurted out the correct response immediately - but probably not, as I was drawing a blank initially.
    I didn't get to see it until today, but I ended up with $4600, I think my best outing since we started. I got two of the missed $2000 questions and the same $600 clue you got in Friends, which is kind of ironic given that I have never watched even a single episode of the tv show.