Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Slim pickings tonight, with only four available in the first round and three in the second. No daily doubles available and no way to score on final.
    Got two in the first round, $600 and $800, and missed one of the easiest triple stumpers of all time, and it was a thousand dollar question, because of a brain fart. I suspect anybody who is still playing will get it.
    Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    Definitely tough going tonight. I only got two, in Double Jeopardy:

Common Category $1600
    Geography $2000
    10/3
    Geography $2000

rsvman: Are you referring to the pictured item for the category What's in the Box? That was the only $1000 triple stumper, and I didn't know it either.

10/4
    Mineral $1600

Final/Asian Country Names $15221

Otherwise this was a really bad game for me, and not just with the other triple stumpers. I didn't know a lot of the ones that the contestants got.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    10/4
    Mineral $1600

Otherwise this was a really bad game for me, and not just with the other triple stumpers. I didn't know a lot of the ones that the contestants got.
    Really bad day for me as well. I only managed to get the $400 Central American History clue, and that was a guess.

Cris seems like a pretty strong player. There may not be a lot of triple stumpers as long as he keeps winning.

10/4
    Mineral $1600

Not a lot of triple stumpers - I think I got all but one (although missed several that the contestants got right) - and then pulled final out just before the music stopped.

Central American History $400, $1200
    Wait Just a Mineral $800, $1600

Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

10/3
    Geography $2000

rsvman: Are you referring to the pictured item for the category What's in the Box? That was the only $1000 triple stumper, and I didn't know it either.
    Yes, that was the question. I am happy that somebody else missed it. I worked construction as a framer during the summer in college so I had no excuse.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Yes, that was the question. I am happy that somebody else missed it. I worked construction as a framer during the summer in college so I had no excuse.
    I missed it too and did not think it was easy.

Onto tonight:

Verb & a Noun: 600
    Helpful Historical Figures: 600
    Science & Nature: 400, 1200
    You’re in a Role: 1600

Once again, not very many triple stumper candidates - I think just 6 out of the 60 clues.

10/6 not many chances. Made $1600,though.
    Better than a kick in the pants.

10/6: $10,400 in total

All Hands - $1000
    US Diplomacy - $400; $1000
    Union People - $5200 (DD)
    Women in the Arts - $800
    Insignificant Idioms - $2000

All Hands - $1000
    Women in the Arts - $800
    Wow. Impressive.

I am out of the game for the next couple of weeks. Leaving for Italy today. Thus is a long-awaited vacation for my wife and me.

Any of you who are enjoying the game, I hope you continue to play. Just wanted to make sure people knew that I wasn't bailing out for no reason.

Arrivederci!

All Hands - $1000
    Women in the Arts - $800
    Impressive. Feel free to stop by the Fresh Pond Beer Garden next Tuesday if you want to bolster an otherwise mediocre pub trivia team.

I only managed to get three triple stumpers (and one of them, Physics $2000, was a wild stab in the dark)

Musical Alter Egos - $800*
    Physics - $2000

*Gotta love any clue which references the 3rd most famous "novelty" rap song of the late 80s/early 90s.

Good finish to the week here!

10-7-22

Anagrammed Bible People - $800
    Black Business - $800
    European Eats - $800, $1600
    Literary Biography - $5000 (DD)
    Ecology - $200 (DD)

Total for the week was a robust $46,821

10/5
    Science & Nature $400
    You're in a Role $1600
    Short Stories & Novellas $2000

10/6
    Musical Alter Egos $800
    Insignificant Idioms $400, $800
    Women in the Arts $800
    Physics $2000

10/7
    European Eats $800

Quote Originally Posted by House P View Post
    Musical Alter Egos - $800*

*Gotta love any clue which references the 3rd most famous "novelty" rap song of the late 80s/early 90s.
    Two novelty rap songs more famous than "The Humpty Dance" (1990)? Now that's a challenge.

I assume "Baby Got Back" (1992) tops the list. I was thinking "Rump Shaker" (1992) to stay on theme, but I guess it could be "Jump" (1992) or "Jump Around" (1992) or "Insane in the Brain" (1993) if any of those are considered novelty.

Two novelty rap songs more famous than "The Humpty Dance" (1990)? Now that's a challenge.

I assume "Baby Got Back" (1992) tops the list. I was thinking "Rump Shaker" (1992) to stay on theme, but I guess it could be "Jump" (1992) or "Jump Around" (1992) or "Insane in the Brain" (1993) if any of those are considered novelty.
    I was hoping that someone would respond to my nebulous comment about the 3rd most famous novelty rap song. Believe it or not, there is no definitive ranking, but there is no doubt that “Baby Got Back” sits at the top of any plausible list.

“Rump Shaker” is a good candidate, but i don’t think it is as famous as a few other options. I personally don’t consider “Jump Around” or “Insane in the Brain” to be novelty songs, though the former’s frequent use at sporting events is cause to reconsider this position. “Jump” is an excellent candidate. I don’t really consider the song itself to be a novelty, but I don’t know any other way to classify a song by two 13 year olds who were best known for wearing their pants backwards.

As I said, there is no definitive list, but in my neck of the woods, “Wild Thing” by Tone Loc was the 2nd most famous novelty rap song of the late 80s/early 90s.

Other candidates:

- “Parents Just Don’t Understand”: Will Smith probably doesn’t consider this to be a novelty, but the kids at my high school did.
    - “Ice Ice Baby”: This is widely considered to be a novelty today, but the kids at my high school didn’t consider it a novelty when it was released.
    - “I’m Too Sexy”: Definitely a novelty, but not a rap song.
    - “Rico Suave”: I hope this is considered a novelty, but it’s not famous enough to make the Top 3.
    - “We Didn’t Start he Fire”: Certainly the closest Billy Joel ever got to rap.

Am I missing anything?

I used to think that “Jump Around” and “Insane in the Brain” were essentially the same song, so I find it odd that “Jump Around” (the inferior song, IMO) is the one which endures today - thanks largely to being played at sporting events.

10/5
    Science & Nature $400
    You're in a Role $1600
    Short Stories & Novellas $2000

10/6
    Musical Alter Egos $800
    Insignificant Idioms $400, $800
    Women in the Arts $800
    Physics $2000

10/7
    European Eats $800

Whoa. This subject is my wheelhouse. Lemme consider and get back to you.

10/10
    Places in Movie Titles $1200

Should be $0. The contestants must have blanked on that one the way I blanked on everything else.

I was hoping that someone would respond to my nebulous comment about the 3rd most famous novelty rap song. Believe it or not, there is no definitive ranking, but there is no doubt that “Baby Got Back” sits at the top of any plausible list.

...As I said, there is no definitive list, but in my neck of the woods, “Wild Thing” by Tone Loc was the 2nd most famous novelty rap song of the late 80s/early 90s.
    Maybe not at the time, but these days I consider "Wild Thing" inseparable from "Funky Cold Medina". I do recall that "Wild Thing" was a phenomenon.

Tone Lōc's appearance on TV's NewsRadio is essential viewing.

I focused on the early 1990s, but you did include late 1980s, so here are two candidates: "Me So Horny" (1989) and "Just A Friend" (1989). Both are definitely novelty, but are they rap? All I can remember of the former is that it was an extended sample -- were there any original lyrics? The latter has elements of rap, but it's mostly Biz Markie trying to carry a tune.

10/10
    Places in Movie Titles $1200
    I managed to get three

Pen Names $1600 (this was a complete guess)
    How Did They Die? $1600
    Nationally Monumental $1600

I focused on the early 1990s, but you did include late 1980s, so here are two candidates: "Me So Horny" (1989) and "Just A Friend" (1989). Both are definitely novelty, but are they rap? All I can remember of the former is that it was an extended sample -- were there any original lyrics? The latter has elements of rap, but it's mostly Biz Markie trying to carry a tune.
    “Me So Horny” is certainly a contender. If I recall correctly, “Wild Thing” received more airplay, but “Me So Horny” is probably more famous today due to obscenity trial involving 2 Live Crew. Fun Fact: According to this story in Variety, 2 Live Crew was acquitted “after supportive testimony from the likes of [then] Duke University professor Henry Louis Gates”.

My initial reaction was that “Just A Friend” isn’t a novelty song, but I just rewatched the video and have reconsidered this position. Either way, I’m not sure it is more famous than “Wild Thing” or “Me So Horny”.

One other candidate (for the top 10, not top 3) is “Pop Goes the Weasel”, 3rd Base’s attempt to slam pop-rappers like Vanilla Ice. I think they intended to make a serious statement about standing up for “authentic” rap, but the song/video certainly seems like a novelty today.

I am still anxiously awaiting Mountain Devil’s thoughts on the subject.

10/11
    Nothing. $0. I came close with cubicle farm instead of cube farm, but still went 0-for-5 on triple stumpers.

10/12
    They Make That $800
    Hair $1000

10/13
    The Rest, As They Say... $400
    Looking Sharp! $800
    Where on Earth? $1200
    I Got the Part! $1200
    After School $1200
    The Automotive World $2000

Feast or famine.

10/14
    That Movie's Got Legs $200

Final/Authors $12,221

Novelty Rap footnote: I heard Positive K's "I Got a Man" (1992) on the radio yesterday. Not a huge hit, but a sentimental favorite, even if it is the hip-hop version of "Baby It's Cold Outside". And today I learned that the he said/she said duet is actually a solo. The male rapper provides both vocals.

Novelty Rap footnote: I heard Positive K's "I Got a Man" (1992) on the radio yesterday. Not a huge hit, but a sentimental favorite, even if it is the hip-hop version of "Baby It's Cold Outside". And today I learned that the he said/she said duet is actually a solo. The male rapper provides both vocals.
    This. This comparison is why I love DBR.

I managed to get three

Pen Names $1600 (this was a complete guess)
    How Did They Die? $1600
    Catching up on last week, I had a very similar 10/10 to House P

Pen Names $1600
    Spineless Creatures $1600