Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post
    Oh, that makes sense too, ha!

I should have known - it's even my favorite movement from Respighi's Pines of Rome (and those are some tough choices!)
    Gotta spread sporks, but I have to acknowledge the Pines reference. Such an epic ending to a fantastic piece.

Fun idea! Will try and participate starting this week, though I will not see the upcoming Friday episode until over the weekend or early next week.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post

That's So Sir/Reel!, $1200: The maitre d' at L'Idiot in "L.A. Story" & also giving a thoughtful performance in "X-Men"

(Ken: You'll have to name the knighted star of each film.)

Spoiler!

It killed me that Luigi correctly answered the $400 clue in this category, which was "Who is Sir Ian McKellan?" after a prompt about playing Magneto the VERY SAME X-Men movies (the prompt said "his performance was magnetic" or something similar). Granted, a "thoughtful performance" is a slightly more vague clue regarding the telepathic abilities of Sir Patrick Stewart's character, but this was an easy $1,200 clue to me...

Well, there was opportunity for a lot of money tonight, with seven triple stumpers in the first round and seven inhthe second, including a $3K Daily Double.

I, unfortunately, didn't take much advantage, but the I did make $3600 tonight, with one $2K answer, one $1K, and one $600 one.

I knew one of the others but didn't manage to come up with the answer in time.

How did you do?
    Last edited by rsvman; 09-19-2022 at 08:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Well, there was opportunity for a lot of money tonight, with seven triple stumpers in the first round and seven inhthe second, including a $3K Daily Double.

I, unfortunately, didn't take much advantage, but the I did make $3600 tonight, with one $2K answer, one $1K, and one $600 one.

How did you do?
    I enjoyed watching the show with the added twist of playing “Unique Knowledge Jeopardy”. Thanks for suggesting the ground rules.

I managed to get up with the correct response for 5* triple stumpers, for a total of $5200.

I was really pleased/surprised that the Douglas Adams clue went beyond his most famous work. Quite often it seems that you can get by in Jeopardy with only the most surface level knowledge of a topic (e.g. “name the most famous book by Douglas Adams”), but this was a case where it paid off to actually be a fan of the author.

*Had I actually been on the show, I wouldn’t have buzzed in for at least one of the clues.

On the other hand, there was one triple stumper where my initial guess would have been the same as an incorrect answer offered one of the contestants. Once Ken confirmed that the contestant’s response was incorrect, I immediately came up with the correct response, but I didn’t count this in my total.

This brings up a rules questions for “Unique Knowledge Jeopardy”. If I read your initial post correctly, a player at home can respond anytime before the host provides the correct response. However, can the player at home change their response once they hear one or more incorrect answers from the actual contestants?

Quote Originally Posted by House P View Post
    I enjoyed watching the show with the added twist of playing “Unique Knowledge Jeopardy”. Thanks for suggesting the ground rules.

I managed to get up with the correct response for 5* triple stumpers, for a total of $5200.

I was really pleased/surprised that the Douglas Adams clue went beyond his most famous work. Quite often it seems that you can get by in Jeopardy with only the most surface level knowledge of a topic (e.g. “name the most famous book by Douglas Adams”), but this was a case where it paid off to actually be a fan of the author.

*Had I actually been on the show, I wouldn’t have buzzed in for at least one of the clues.

On the other hand, there was one triple stumper where my initial guess would have been the same as an incorrect answer offered one of the contestants. Once Ken confirmed that the contestant’s response was incorrect, I immediately came up with the correct response, but I didn’t count this in my total.

This brings up a rules questions for “Unique Knowledge Jeopardy”. If I read your initial post correctly, a player at home can respond anytime before the host provides the correct response. However, can the player at home change their response once they hear one or more incorrect answers from the actual contestants?
    Good job!

I don't think it is fair to change your answer once you find out that it is incorrect, but I would be willing to listen to counterarguments.

I don't think it is fair to change your answer once you find out that it is incorrect, but I would be willing to listen to counterarguments.
    That makes sense to me. Though I now wonder about the scenario where the player-at-home is initially at a loss for a response, but comes up with the correct response after hearing one or more incorrect responses from the in-studio contestants.

That is essentially what happened for me with one of the flag questions. Had I been an actual contestant, there is no way I would have buzzed in immediately. However, after having a few seconds to think while the studio folks made incorrect guesses, I came up with what happened to be the correct response. So, it wasn’t like I changed my answer; rather I used the extra time to come up with the answer.

That makes sense to me. Though I now wonder about the scenario where the player-at-home is initially at a loss for a response, but comes up with the correct response after hearing one or more incorrect responses from the in-studio contestants.

That is essentially what happened for me with one of the flag questions. Had I been an actual contestant, there is no way I would have buzzed in immediately. However, after having a few seconds to think while the studio folks made incorrect guesses, I came up with what happened to be the correct response. So, it wasn’t like I changed my answer; rather I used the extra time to come up with the answer.
    I think that's ok.

I would call foul if you had an answer in your mind, but then one lf the contestants said it, and then you changed it to something else.

How did you do?
    So I just watched last Tuesday’s and finished with $3,400, which I believe came from the only triple stumper in the first round ($600) and then two of the four or five in the second round (a $1,200 and a $1,600).
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    So I just watched last Tuesday’s and finished with $3,400, which I believe came from the only triple stumper in the first round ($600) and then two of the four or five in the second round (a $1,200 and a $1,600).
    Nice!

I got $2,200 last night (one $1,000 clue and one $1,200 clue).

One of the stumpers I was correct on was the flag clue where the correct response is "What is Denver?" Both contestants that responded incorrectly assumed the clue was looking for the state ("What is Colorado?" "What is Montana?"). I think Ken's phrasing of the clue confused them. The phrasing was something like "This state's capitol has a flag that..." which makes it sound like the clue is looking for the state, based on the possessive clause. It seems like it should have been phrased "This state capitol's flag has..." or similar. Since it was a visual clue (photo of the flag), there was no text on screen to confirm the clue's intent. The only reason I got it was because I knew what Colorado's state flag looked like and the photo was not it; so that led me to Denver.

I only got $400 from that second answer but I was too distracted during most of the episode to catch the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by pcal6vb View Post
    I got $2,200 last night (one $1,000 clue and one $1,200 clue).

One of the stumpers I was correct on was the flag clue where the correct response is "What is Denver?" Both contestants that responded incorrectly assumed the clue was looking for the state ("What is Colorado?" "What is Montana?"). I think Ken's phrasing of the clue confused them. The phrasing was something like "This state's capitol has a flag that..." which makes it sound like the clue is looking for the state, based on the possessive clause. It seems like it should have been phrased "This state capitol's flag has..." or similar. Since it was a visual clue (photo of the flag), there was no text on screen to confirm the clue's intent. The only reason I got it was because I knew what Colorado's state flag looked like and the photo was not it; so that led me to Denver.
    I agree that the clue was a bit deceptively worded, but Ken doesn't write the clues, obviously. I think he did the best he could given the way the clue was written. Perhaps he could have emphasized the word 'capitol' a little more?
    But in the end this was also one that I got for the same reason that you got it, so I guess it wasn't totally unfair.

A lot of money was up for grabs again in tonight's show, and some of them, including a $2K triple stumper, were real softballs. Some of you probably made a lot of money tonight!

Unfortunately, I was not among you. The very last clue of Double Jeopardy was a really easy $2K, but I developed a case of old-man-itis at just the wrong time and couldn't think of the answer in time. I paused the video and came up with the right answer, but since it would not have been in time, I couldn't award myself the money. But I just had to pause it and get it right because I stone-cold knew it.

Anyway, there were once again 7 triple stumpers in the first round, and there were 6 in the second. I ended up with $3400 but it could have been so much more. There were two triple stumpers in the category Heteronyms. Word categories are my favorites. I got one of them but surprised myself by missing the other.

I also got Final, which I thought was so easy they would all get it, then watched two of them miss. If only the champ would have missed it I would have been filthy rich.

I hope some of you cashed in on a relatively easy day to make money!

A lot of money was up for grabs again in tonight's show, and some of them, including a $2K triple stumper, were real softballs. Some of you probably made a lot of money tonight!

Unfortunately, I was not among you. The very last clue of Double Jeopardy was a really easy $2K, but I developed a case of old-man-itis at just the wrong time and couldn't think of the answer in time. I paused the video and came up with the right answer, but since it would not have been in time, I couldn't award myself the money. But I just had to pause it and get it right because I stone-cold knew it.

Anyway, there were once again 7 triple stumpers in the first round, and there were 6 in the second. I ended up with $3400 but it could have been so much more. There were two triple stumpers in the category Heteronyms. Word categories are my favorites. I got one of them but surprised myself by missing the other.

I also got Final, which I thought was so easy they would all get it, then watched two of them miss. If only the champ would have missed it I would have been filthy rich.

I hope some of you cashed in on a relatively easy day to make money!
    I managed to get 3 of the triple stumpers for a total of $3800, though I am a bit embarrassed that I drew a complete blank on the NBA-related question. I also would have come up with the down-under-capital question if I thought about it for a second - as it was my mind jumped to the same incorrect response as the first contestant.

I managed to get 3 of the triple stumpers for a total of $3800, though I am a bit embarrassed that I drew a complete blank on the NBA-related question. I also would have come up with the down-under-capital question if I thought about it for a second - as it was my mind jumped to the same incorrect response as the first contestant.
    I nailed the NBA one, but also screwed up in the same way on the 'down under' question.

Finally finished last week’s episodes:

Wednesday 9/14 - just $600 from round 1
    Thursday 9/15 - $1,800, all from round 1 (like the contestants, I did not do well on the philosophy category in DJ)
    Friday 9/16 - $3,400 - a $400 clue from the texting abbreviation category in R1 and then the daily double our defending (and defeated) champ missed in DJ.

As an aside, some colossally bad betting last week - beyond the obvious issues where not one but two leaders going into FJ got the right answers but lost because of bets that were too small (an unforgivable Jeopardy sin, in my view), on Thursday, the champ got a daily double as the last clue in DJ. Pre-wager, he was in a runaway position and could stay in that position with a bet of anything less than around $2,000. Yet he put $6,000 at stake, opening the door to a potential loss if he missed and then had a problem in FJ. Thankfully for him, he got the DJ clue right (and then missed FJ, like all the others - and me), but never should have put himself in that position.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

I think I got something like $1600 last night. Again, distracted while watching.

I only managed to get one of the triple stumpers today, the $1600 clue about the Japanese emperor.

Tonight was a tough game. There was only one opportunity in the Jeopardy Round, and only five in the Double Jeopardy Round.
    I thought the Willa Cather book question was pretty easy, but it took me too long to come up with the answer. I was really surprised the Japanese empower was a triple stumper. It wasn't hard at all. Sadly, that's the best I could do, as well.
    On the plus side, it was an interesting game tonight.