Smile Can somebody please help?!?

Greetings to this community. I come in peace; I have been a Duke fan for more than thirty years. I need help in resurrecting my excitement for Duke Basketball. I used to think Coach K was a demi god, leader, and flat out the best coach in college basketball. While I still have respect for him and all that he has done, lately I've been seriously discouraged by his methods of recruitment, developing players and perhaps his coaching philosophy.

Can somebody please tell me why; why Marty Pocious doesn't play more. While I know that my excitement shouldn't revolve around one player; it really does disturb me. He has more physicality and can probably create his own shot more; but has failed to be seen. I also give Marty credit, because the little time he does receive he plays within the system. Is there something to this other than the usual excuses; defense, injured foot, etc. I am not discrediting those either.

The past years we've been beat by teams which are more physical and mentally tough. I like what I saw in Singler last night, not backing down to Frazier. Zoubek played pretty good. Henderson is developing into a power player. Nelson may have had his coming out party last night; perfect timing with the article in the News and Observer. Paulus is solid at point. A good player. Scheyer possibly the next JJ. But if all we can do is shoot three's, well we know where that will get us. The same place it has the last three or four years.

Please help me in understanding why I'm having trouble with Duke Basketball. Maybe I'm just getting older, and my philosophy on life is changing.

PEACE

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Wicker View Post
    Can somebody please tell me why; why Marty Pocious doesn't play more.
    Throaty, does it go like this? aarrggghhhh!!!!
    "Just like you man. I got the shotgun, you got the briefcase." Omar Little

You answered your own question in the third paragraph. Scheyer, Nelson, and Henderson are all better players. We've only been playing two wings at a time. Who should sit while Marty plays?

But if all we can do is shoot three's, well we know where that will get us. The same place it has the last three or four years.

PEACE
    Is that what you've seen this year? Just shooting threes? That's not what I've seen...at all. This team has the full package: IQ, Toughness, Speed, Athleticism, a mix of experience and some size (though not as much as we'd like).

All I can say is, this team is NOT like those of very recent years. There's a TON to get excited about. And K still has it. No worries.

-EarlJam

you answered your own question

Can somebody please tell me why; why Marty Pocious doesn't play more.

Henderson is developing into a power player. Nelson may have had his coming out party last night; perfect timing with the article in the News and Observer. Paulus is solid at point. A good player. Scheyer possibly the next JJ.
    You answered your own question in a way. Marty plays the wing guard position where he sits behind 3 of the most talented wing players in the country.

As your alluded to, Henderson is becoming an absolute STUD.

Demarcus is perhaps the most important player on this team as the lone senior, his ability to defend 3 positions very, very well (and a 4th position adequately) we all know about his ability to score, his ability to rebound, and his athleticism in transition, which is even more important now that this team is running more.

And Scheyer can just flat out play. He can shoot, rebound, defend, pass, handle the rock, knock down free throws. He's a really good scorer and is just a winner, which is a bit of an intangible that marty doesn't have. Scheyer was far and away the best player on his HS team and carried them on his back through state playoffs so he knows pressure and just knows how to win.

So its just tough for Marty b/c he has to play behind 3 really big time players.

Greetings to this community. I come in peace; I have been a Duke fan for more than thirty years. I need help in resurrecting my excitement for Duke Basketball. I used to think Coach K was a demi god, leader, and flat out the best coach in college basketball. While I still have respect for him and all that he has done, lately I've been seriously discouraged by his methods of recruitment, developing players and perhaps his coaching philosophy.

Can somebody please tell me why; why Marty Pocious doesn't play more. While I know that my excitement shouldn't revolve around one player; it really does disturb me. He has more physicality and can probably create his own shot more; but has failed to be seen. I also give Marty credit, because the little time he does receive he plays within the system. Is there something to this other than the usual excuses; defense, injured foot, etc. I am not discrediting those either.

The past years we've been beat by teams which are more physical and mentally tough. I like what I saw in Singler last night, not backing down to Frazier. Zoubek played pretty good. Henderson is developing into a power player. Nelson may have had his coming out party last night; perfect timing with the article in the News and Observer. Paulus is solid at point. A good player. Scheyer possibly the next JJ. But if all we can do is shoot three's, well we know where that will get us. The same place it has the last three or four years.

Please help me in understanding why I'm having trouble with Duke Basketball. Maybe I'm just getting older, and my philosophy on life is changing.

PEACE
    Pocius plays the wing. We have 3 players at wing who are substantially better than him (Scheyer, Nelson, and Henderson). Thus, Pocius is going to have very few opportunities to get minutes. If we play those first three at 25 minutes per game each, that leaves 5 minutes per game for Pocius. It's just an unfortunate (for him) reality of the depth of this team.