Page 8 of 59 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlue View Post
    It sounds like Foreman just wanted a change, but still in a top-notch program.

Why Kristina Foreman Transferred To Arkansas
    https://www.softballamerica.com/stor...d-to-arkansas/

Kristina Foreman: I chose Arkansas because of the people. Everyone who is a part of Arkansas Athletics is 100% invested in the well-being of athletes. I also chose Arkansas because of the business school and its connections to Walmart's vendors. After I committed to Arkansas, I was over the moon and excited to go to a new city and be a part of a program with a culture of champions. I knew this unique experience would push me to the limit, but I knew I would be better for it.
    First WalMart related transfer I can recall

Extra innings, score still 3-3. In extra innings, last batter from the previous inning starts on 2nd base.

In T8, the UCF runner advances to 3rd on a wild pitch. The batter hits a fly ball to RF and the runner tries to score on a sacrifice... BUT she left early and is called out... now in B8 and still 3-3.

Curd with 1-2-3 innings in T8 and T9. Duke up in B9 with another chance to walk off. Davidson on 2nd to start the inning.

Duke with the walk off win, 4-3 in the 10th. Goddard scores from third after a wild pitch and then a grounder to 1st by Vega. Curd was great in relief, 3.2 innings, no hits, no runs.

Great job by the freshman Curd holding off UCF in the extra innings. Player of the game.
    Last edited by Luke102452; 02-18-2023 at 01:39 PM.

In the last game of the Clearwater FL tournament, Duke leads Michigan 3-2 after 1 inning. Claire Davidson pitching for Duke.

Deja Davis Update

There was some commentator discussion about Deja Davis who is sitting out today's game. Davis was Duke's first All-American (as a Junior) in the 2021 season hitting .389 with team records in hits, triples and total bases. She had some injury issues last year and hit only .318, but came on strong down the stretch. She came back as a Grad Student this year, in Environmental Management, and reportedly is trying to manage knee soreness and possibly a tough academic schedule. She has played all 9 games prior to today and is hitting .393 with 4 RBI. She has played shortstop in the past but is now mostly outfield and designated hitter. Duke's depth will need to cover any absences, but its also a good opportunity to gain experience for some of the younger players.

Now 6-2 Duke. Claire Davidson helping her own cause with a 2-run homer in the T5.

Really need to use the bullpen before this gets away

Quote Originally Posted by AGDukesky View Post
    Really need to use the bullpen before this gets away
    If there’s one “weakness” so far this year it’s that none of our starters have been able to go for length, maxing at 5 innings. I imagine they’ll stretch out as the season goes on. But Davidson today was allowing too many hits anyway

Final 6-3 Duke over #25 Michigan. Duke finishes 4-1 for the tournament and is 7-3 overall, 4-3 against ranked opponents.

Pretty much a perfect start to the season. I was hoping for 5-5, but they’ve met every challenge with success or near success and proved despite the youth that they can challenge even the best teams.

Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post
    Pretty much a perfect start to the season. I was hoping for 5-5, but they’ve met every challenge with success or near success and proved despite the youth that they can challenge even the best teams.
    Agreed and two of the other wins (unranked opponents, although Michigan was #25 in at least one poll) were against likely NCAA tournament teams, so 6 quality wins and no bad losses.

We run ruled the one team who shouldn’t make the tourney too

D1 softball’s poll has us jump from 20 to 13. Baylor upset Oklahoma this weekend so they also fall from number 1. https://d1softball.com/d1softball-top-25-rankings/

D1 softball’s poll has us jump from 20 to 13. Baylor upset Oklahoma this weekend so they also fall from number 1. https://d1softball.com/d1softball-top-25-rankings/
    So Duke’s losses are to current #2, #6 and #9 with wins over #8, #10 and #24.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by AGDukesky View Post
    So Duke’s losses are to current #2, #6 and #9 with wins over #8, #10 and #24.
    And all on the road at neutral sites. That's a really nice start.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    And all on the road at neutral sites. That's a really nice start.
    It's the type of NonConf resume that gives you a good shot at hosting a Regional or better. But the ACC remains a ridiculous conference so there will be plenty of opportunities to mess up or add to that resume - that 6 game stretch of FSU and @VT for example could be crucial, assuming Duke takes care of business against the other teams (which is not a given!)
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    It's the type of NonConf resume that gives you a good shot at hosting a Regional or better. But the ACC remains a ridiculous conference so there will be plenty of opportunities to mess up or add to that resume - that 6 game stretch of FSU and @VT for example could be crucial, assuming Duke takes care of business against the other teams (which is not a given!)
    Very similar to the strength of the ACC WBB teams/schedule.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Softball America has Duke at 9. I think that might be a program high honestly? The other two major polls should be out today.

https://www.softballamerica.com/rankings/2023-ncaa-division-i-softball-top-25/