Duke extends Mike Elko's contract

Nina King has re-worked Coach Elko's contract and given him a well-deserved extension - through 2029.

https://twitter.com/stevewisemanNC/s...41735278821402
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

This deserves its own thread...

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Nina King has re-worked Coach Elko's contract and given him a well-deserved extension - through 2029.

https://goduke.com/news/2023/7/24/fo...-contract.aspx

Included in the new agreement is an enhanced, escalating model for the assistant coach and support staff salary pools.

"Over the last 18 months, Coach Elko has cultivated and executed a plan to push Duke Football forward with tremendous attention to detail, energy and a persistent commitment to excellence," King said. "His passionate dedication to the Duke experience sets the standard, and we are fortunate to have him and the entire staff developing the young men in our program into elite student-athletes and future community leaders. Coach Elko's vision acutely aligns with the principles of the university, and I could not be more excited to have him guide Duke Football well into the future."
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post

Nice to see they have a picture of the right guy. Wonder what will appear on the DBR home page.

This is great news and another showing of commitment to football by Nina King et al. Perhaps as important as Elko's extension is this right here:

"Included in the new agreement is an enhanced, escalating model for the assistant coach and support staff salary pools."

The Cut Administration faded in part due to the bleed of assistant coaching talent. We've debated whether Duke refused to budge on assistant coach salaries and/or Cut didn't push hard enough. Either way, it looks like lessons have been learned.

I want to know the buyout clause terms. If he gets poached, I want to know how much we get to spend for the next one

Awesome. Congrats to Coach Elko and AD Nina King.

Is it just me or is she killing it in the AD role in her short time at Duke? She is elite it seems with this wheeling and dealing. I fully support this decision to extend Coach Elko and hope he is here for the entire term of this contract and longer. I think he could build Duke into an elite football program.

Quote Originally Posted by BigWayne View Post
    Nice to see they have a picture of the right guy. Wonder what will appear on the DBR home page.
    😂😂😂😂

Quote Originally Posted by RoseBowl1942 View Post
    I want to know the buyout clause terms. If he gets poached, I want to know how much we get to spend for the next one
    At this point, I'm more concerned about losing Nina than Elko.

Quote Originally Posted by dpslaw View Post
    At this point, I'm more concerned about losing Nina than Elko.
    Honestly, I can’t imagine many better AD jobs than Duke, especially if you actually care about the cache of working at a school with great academics (which I believe she does based on her history). As long as we pay her, idk why she’d leave (the people who left cared more about the cache of big athletics than a school with a balance). ND opening up is probably the only one she would leave for (maybe Stanford, maybe).

Quote Originally Posted by RoseBowl1942 View Post
    Honestly, I can’t imagine many better AD jobs than Duke, especially if you actually care about the cache of working at a school with great academics (which I believe she does based on her history). As long as we pay her, idk why she’d leave (the people who left cared more about the cache of big athletics than a school with a balance). ND opening up is probably the only one she would leave for (maybe Stanford, maybe).
    I could potentially see Notre Dame, except they just hired a new AD who will begin work next year, so there's not likely to be an opening anytime soon (unless he's a bungler). Hopefully Nina's bosses understand her value as much as she obviously recognizes Elko's value.

Speaking of value, I believe John Danowski's contract expires some time this year...but he has great talent coming back, some great portalized talent, excellent new recruits, so I'm expecting to hear about a new contract soon.