Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by cbolden1 View Post
    IF duke agreed with some of you guys they would have distanced themselves from him but they haven't so I think that tells you where they stand

So if you have a problem with a guy and what he voices then don't pay attention to him outside of basketball. Its not hard to do
    So Kyrie's speech should be protected, but those who disagree with him should not speak up and the only recourse is to ignore him? If there are no guardrails on free speech, then that applies to both sides and people should have the ability to criticize Kyrie, or Duke, or Alex Jones, or whomever, however they like. But without a common decorum all this free speech gets pretty ugly pretty fast.

IF duke agreed with some of you guys they would have distanced themselves from him but they haven't so I think that tells you where they stand

So if you have a problem with a guy and what he voices then don't pay attention to him outside of basketball. Its not hard to do
    Kyrie is doubling down on his crazy, irresponsible talk. It is hard to ignore him when he is promoting these ignorant and dangerous views.

It seems like you agree with him. Do you?

You clearly haven't been reading this thread very carefully. I stated at the outset that I consider Kyrie one of the most talented young men to wear a Duke uniform, but I've written off his opiniated screeds long ago.

I was responding specifically to the user to suggested that refusing to affiliate yourself with someone because of their beliefs was effectively "punishing" or "fining." I strongly disagree.

If I'm a member of a prestigious club and I begin to see other individuals who are espousing hateful rhetoric about people based on their religious beliefs and/or propping up people who have been successfully sued for propagating lies regarding the deaths of kindergarteners - I have something that lies between a right and an obligation to speak up and distance myself from those things.

This is the reality of the Duke Brotherhood. Once you've branded it and used it for marketing and leaned heavily on that concept, you have to protect and defend it.

I'm done with this thread. It has gone some really weird directions.

I won't say I'm disappointed in Kyrie, because this is very much what I have come to expect from him.

I'll continue to watch him play basketball and my jaw will drop, but I'm not going to pay his opinions any mind whatsoever.

If your going to quote him at least do it right, He said "One of" not that it was the biggest.

Look the guy has different opinions than most of us the fact that some of y'all try and make him a bad guy because of it is so crazy. Let the man live his life as he sees fit and don't pay him no mind if you don't like the way he's living it. Is that really that hard of a concept ?
    Ok-“ one of” I guess changes the intent of equating it with big ones like genocide - but sure. I have never interacted with Kyrie and I doubt he reads DBR. He is going to live his life and my reaction to his hyperbole will have zero impact. I wish him no harm- but I can react and joke about his statement. He put it out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Kfanarmy View Post
    You proposed "fining” him, your analogy, with that fine being Duke University “ignoring him completely.” Fining in this case is “punishment,” or, if you prefer, “negative consequence” to get him to act the way you want him to by correcting his “dangerous and defective ideas.” So punishing someone for their ideas, to which you don’t ascribe, is exactly what you are advocating: ostracizing someone until they no longer proffer what you see as “dangerous and defective ideas.” While my point may have been made by reduction to the absurd, censorship, in all its forms, has often led to absurd abuse and misuse.
    I'm not sure why you insist on this, when I made clear it's an inadequate analogy. The "punishment" I proposed is simply to mind my own business. That's not really a punishment in any meaningful way. It is certainly not "censorship", which I take to mean actively trying to silence Kyrie. I have never advocated any such thing. I simply propose to ignore him. Furthermore, you agree that:

Duke University ha[s] the discretion to do so.
    So I'm still not sure where the problem lies. You've said you find Duke disassociating from Kyrie would be "repugnant". If they have that discretion, why would exercising that discretion be so unacceptable? Can you clarify your thinking on that?

Perhaps then, your writing ability would be most helpful in dissecting, understanding, even educating, on why KI believes the way his does and what specifically is errant in his thought process rather than advocating for forms of censor, which “ignoring” at the institutional level is.
    I could be the best writer in the world and not have a clue what's going on in Kyrie's head! I've never even met him.

I absolutely do think many of his conclusions are faulty and seem obviously made without evidence. Just as one very recent example: In order to conclude that a vaccine mandate is one of the biggest human rights violations in history, one has to ignore that - even within our own country - our past includes numerous much worse examples, including the ownership of human beings. And while it's hard to imagine a bigger human rights violation than that one, we have, in fact, done worse: We've been guilty of genocide. We have a state (Massachusetts) named for a Native American tribe that no longer exists. Some of that was inadvertent (disease introduction), but the remainder was a case of simply taking their remaining lands. And that's not the only example of wiping out a native tribe, even within our own borders, either. When you include the rest of the world, it's not even a question. Requiring vaccinations to bring about a positive public health outcome for the greater population is arguably not a human rights violation at all. But to the extent it might be, it CERTAINLY isn't among the top such violations of all time. Can you seriously disagree with that?!?

I don't want to get into the merits of many of Kyrie's specific pronouncements, because I don't want to wander around in prohibited PPB territory. However, I took the liberty of mentioning this specific instance, because a) you explicitly asked me to, and b) it doesn't really seem to be a public policy issue and instead is really beyond argumentation as a factual matter of history. But I won't be moving further in this direction on this board.

As I read one time in a Spanish newspaper, it is irrational to think that you can speak in a rational fashion to an irrational person, so Kyrie will never learn. I only wish that teammates like KD had spoken up when Kyrie started all the anti-vax comments since that makes them complicit.

As an aside, I have a cousin who has a Stanford MBA and runs her own advertising firm who goes around saying that vaccines change your DNA and things of that nature, so anything is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by miramar View Post
    As an aside, I have a cousin who has a Stanford MBA and runs her own advertising firm who goes around saying that vaccines change your DNA and things of that nature, so anything is possible.
    What do you mean “anything is possible? Because vaccines absolutely DO NOT change DNA. Surely that’s not what you meant, right? 😉

If your going to quote him at least do it right, He said "One of" not that it was the biggest.

Look the guy has different opinions than most of us the fact that some of y'all try and make him a bad guy because of it is so crazy. Let the man live his life as he sees fit and don't pay him no mind if you don't like the way he's living it. Is that really that hard of a concept ?
    That doesn’t make what he said any less asinine. I’ll withhold providing my perception of Kyrie as a person. But his public statements are deranged and indefensible. They are likely embarrassing to most everyone else he represents or is associated with, Duke University included. Sure, he can still go and live his life. But ultimately this sort of stupidity and ignorance in his rhetoric(willful or otherwise) has consequences.

Cool. Sounds like a good person to consult for business advertising and literally nothing else!

soooo, let's recap..

kyrie has amazing basketball skills.

kyrie likes the unfettered internet

kyrie has no "public" verbal filter
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    soooo, let's recap..

kyrie has amazing basketball skills.

kyrie likes the unfettered internet

kyrie has no "public" verbal filter

Kyrie is either painfully uneducated or a bit... intellectually and logically challenged.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Cool. Sounds like a good person to consult for business advertising and literally nothing else!
    Lol 😜

Just because one is intelligent and competent in one (or multiple) areas doesn't mean they are in other areas. I'm a scientist, with multiple advanced degrees in the field of biogeochemistry. That doesn't mean I know much about virology or immunology, but i have developed a certain affinity for listening to experts, and how to read with an eye towards understanding bias, ignorance, or outright lying. It's a skill that not everyone develops, and one need not advanced degrees to develop these skills nor that having an advanced degree confers one that skill. Our society has placed an insanely overvalued respect for business acumen, conflating it with deep intelligence in all fields, and many of those same business people buy into that perception (many don't). Irregardless () it's mostly just an issue of self-unidentified cognitive dissonance, regardless of education level, or career field.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    What do you mean “anything is possible? Because vaccines absolutely DO NOT change DNA. Surely that’s not what you meant, right? 😉
    Thank you for stepping up for science!!! As an aside, my neighbor insists that the vaccines contain ground-up baby parts, and patently refuses to listen when i try to explain how genetics technology was used in a multi-step way to develop the vaccine. I admit, mRNA is not the easiest thing to understand, but if one is not even willing to understand, i think that strays into the field of aggressive ignorance. Some might call that stupidity...

I’m just curious what Matt Howard would do

Thank you for stepping up for science!!! As an aside, my neighbor insists that the vaccines contain ground-up baby parts, and patently refuses to listen when i try to explain how genetics technology was used in a multi-step way to develop the vaccine. I admit, mRNA is not the easiest thing to understand, but if one is not even willing to understand, i think that strays into the field of aggressive ignorance. Some might call that stupidity...[/QUOTE]

Ground up baby parts? What possibly made them come to this conclusion? I do understand why some people are opposed to taking the vaccine – although I am not one of those individuals. But ground up baby parts? Oy.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    Kyrie is either painfully uneducated or a bit... intellectually and logically challenged.
    I wish Kyrie's diagnosis would be treated by non conspirators

Quote Originally Posted by AGDukesky View Post
    I’m just curious what Matt Howard would do
    I’m just curious what Howard Hamlin would do.

Quote Originally Posted by 1991 duke law View Post
    Ground up baby parts? What possibly made them come to this conclusion? I do understand why some people are opposed to taking the vaccine – although I am not one of those individuals. But ground up baby parts? Oy.
    Apparently it's part of the misinformation campaign to discredit the vaccines., in which the idea mutated from how fetal stem cell lines were used to create the structure for vaccine development. I don't really understand it myself, but i've caught whiff of it a few times.

The 4th Booster I received Sept 19. One day shoulder pain Moderna. Wednesday Sept 21 no pain. Still dodging Covid 19 despite being at Louis De Joy Center Saturday and a reunion party at Carolina Ale with no mask. Those are facts.

I have lost any interest in Kyrie Irving. He is a magician with the basketball,but his statements are not in my playbook. Don't care about following him any more as a loyal Duke fan and alumni.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I’m just curious what Howard Hamlin would do.
    Howard would find a way to blame Jimmy for something.