Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Kyrie in headlines once again for not-great reasons...

Not sure if folks saw, but our own Kyrie Irving is back in the headlines for more bizarre behavior, this time pushing some strange theory about a new world order running everything. And unfortunately it involved a very controversial radio host, who has been in the news recently for aggressively pushing the theory that school shootings are staged, and encouraging his large audience to target the families of children who were killed.

Personally, I am done with Kyrie... it is one thing to promote silliness like flat earth stuff, but another to push ideas that might be harmful. Beyond that, is there a point that either the basketball program or the University at large should distance themselves from Kyrie? Does he "represent" us still? Or is the sort of thing that you just ignore?
    Last edited by Lord Ash; 09-16-2022 at 10:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    Not sure if folks saw, but our own Kyrie Irving is back in the headlines for more bizarre behavior, this time pushing some strange theory about a new world order running everything. And unfortunately it involved a very controversial radio host, who has been in the news recently for aggressively pushing the theory that school shootings are staged, and encouraging his large audience to target the families of children who were killed.

Personally, I am done with Kyrie... it is one thing to promote silliness like flat earth stuff, but another to push ideas that might be harmful. Beyond that, is there a point that either the basketball program or the University at large should distance themselves from Kyrie? Or is the sort of thing that you just ignore?
    I think it is the kind of thing that you can't ignore.
    April 1

Personally, I am done with Kyrie... it is one thing to promote silliness like flat earth stuff, but another to push ideas that might be harmful. Beyond that, is there a point that either the basketball program or the University at large should distance themselves from Kyrie? Or is the sort of thing that you just ignore?
    Hard to know exactly what is going on in the mind of Kyrie but, IMHO, it is not rational thought. I find it somewhat of an embarrassment to Duke University.

Quote Originally Posted by duke79 View Post
    I find it somewhat of an embarrassment to Duke University.
    Me too. I'm a graduate, class of '97, and I look at Kyrie and think that it is super embarrassing to see my school associated with it.

Then again, there are other graduates who have done and said embarrassing stuff. They may not be as high profile as Kyrie, and they were not part of an "organization" like Kyrie was with Duke Basketball, but still, I don't recall anyone in an official capacity at Duke making a statement? IS there a point at which a University distances itself from something a graduate says? Or not really? Like... once you are gone, you are gone?

Me too. I'm a graduate, class of '97, and I look at Kyrie and think that it is super embarrassing to see my school associated with it.

Then again, there are other graduates who have done and said embarrassing stuff. They may not be as high profile as Kyrie, and they were not part of an "organization" like Kyrie was with Duke Basketball, but still, I don't recall anyone in an official capacity at Duke making a statement? IS there a point at which a University distances itself from something a graduate says? Or not really? Like... once you are gone, you are gone?
    Duke University has hundreds of thousands of "graduates" that walk all ways of life with diverse and sometimes controversial perspectives, and it'd be impossible/illogical to address embarrassing things that each one of them might say. Secondly, Kyrie is not a "graduate" although he's considered an "alumnus." Of course, Kyrie is much more high profile than most Duke alumni, but that still doesn't mean the University needs to make a statement about something someone who used to enroll at the school now says while they're no longer at the school and are expressing their personal viewpoints that aren't a reflection of the school.

Having said all that, other alumni are, of course, free to express their support/disdain for things said by others should they choose to but it's not in an official capacity of university communication -- just personal free speech.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Of course, Kyrie is much more high profile than most Duke alumni, but that still doesn't mean the University needs to make a statement about something someone who used to enroll at the school now says while they're no longer at the school and are expressing their personal viewpoints that aren't a reflection of the school.
    True, but the school also doesn't need to invite Kyrie back to campus for basketball celebrations, either.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    True, but the school also doesn't need to invite Kyrie back to campus for basketball celebrations, either.
    I don't recall seeing Kyrie at the celebration of K's last game. The extent of his involvement with Duke lately seems to be his appearance in those "another one" videos that the DMBB Twitter account puts out when a new recruit commits to Duke.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Boosting Sandy Hook truther, grifter and all around terrible person is yet another reason why Irving is my least favorite blue devil ever. This belief that he's the smartest guy in the room by doubling down on moronic behavior ain't it.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I don't recall seeing Kyrie at the celebration of K's last game. The extent of his involvement with Duke lately seems to be his appearance in those "another one" videos that the DMBB Twitter account puts out when a new recruit commits to Duke.
    Nolan also very publicly supported Kyrie on his twitter. Of course, he was speaking individually, but unfortunately high profile employees are always, for better or worse, representing their employer.

Nolan also no longer works at here, I suppose, not to imply the situations are related at all.
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    Nolan also very publicly supported Kyrie on his twitter. Of course, he was speaking individually, but unfortunately high profile employees are always, for better or worse, representing their employer.

Nolan also no longer works at here, I suppose, not to imply the situations are related at all.
    Now THERE is a guy I miss. Loved The Peoples Champ.

Purpose?

I don't recall a single basketball player being recruited to represent Duke as an alum. Most all the recruiting I can recall has been about potential performance on the basketball court on behalf of Duke University. I wouldn't even know that there was some issue if the OP hadn't put it here, nor I dare say would most of the respondents.

Not inviting a former basketball player back to a basketball celebration of any kind because some alum don't agree with, or is somehow embarrassed by, non-basketball-related use of free speech, seems abhorrent to me. I'm not even sure how you become embarrassed by someone else's legal behavior without a very personal association.

One wonders what statements and opinions people on this board have expressed that would be "embarrassing" to the community at-large if they had the same degree of public interest...

Kyrie's opinions may be eccentric, factually incorrect, enamored with conspiracies or in opposition to the political winds that some are driven by, but that shouldn't embarrass anyone at/from Duke. He was recruited to play basketball, did so with distinction and is now in the NBA. Maybe we can all just appreciate his talent and what he gave to Duke fans, and still does, and separate that from what he thinks and says.

This doesn't change my outlook on Kyrie at all.

He's absolutely one of the top three most talented players to ever wear a Duke jersey.

He's a colossal weirdo and pseudointellectual.

He played 11 games for Coach K.

These are the facts. None of them change one another. He is far from a role model. But you can't deny his talent.

I love watching him play. I don't pay any attention to anything he says. You have every right to view it differently.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post

He's absolutely one of the top three most talented players to ever wear a Duke jersey.

These are the facts. None of them change one another. He is far from a role model. But you can't deny his talent.

I love watching him play. I don't pay any attention to anything he says. You have every right to view it differently.
    Do you take the same view with, say Deshaun Watson? Aaron Hernandez? Michael Vick?
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    The NBA was in-season at the time, so most of our currently-active alums were unable to attend. I’ve no doubt Kyrie was invited.

But yes, it is embarrassing that he is associated with Duke.

Maybe we could compromise by inviting him to events, but only have him attend the first 1/3rd or so, then sort of awkwardly reappear at the end.

Colossal weirdo is too kind. He spews harmful crap and is an embarrassment to the basketball program. If a tarheel was acting like Kyrie, we'd all be having a field day.

The question posted by the OP, essentially, is does his athletic prowess still outweigh his non-basketball behavior when it comes to his association with our university. I am in the camp that it does not.
    Hard at work making beautiful things.

Most folk know I've been as big a Kyrie defender as anyone else here. But this really is a spot where I have to draw a line in the sand. Any elevation of the conspiracy sicko that Kyrie has spoken of is just horrendous.

I won't root against Kyrie, but I must admit my on-the-court rooting interest for him has taken a huge hit with this news. And the off-the-court stuff has always been suspect at best, and really bad at worst. For me this latest installment is indefensible.

Quote Originally Posted by Kfanarmy View Post
    I don't recall a single basketball player being recruited to represent Duke as an alum. Most all the recruiting I can recall has been about potential performance on the basketball court on behalf of Duke University. I wouldn't even know that there was some issue if the OP hadn't put it here, nor I dare say would most of the respondents.

Not inviting a former basketball player back to a basketball celebration of any kind because some alum don't agree with, or is somehow embarrassed by, non-basketball-related use of free speech, seems abhorrent to me. I'm not even sure how you become embarrassed by someone else's legal behavior without a very personal association.

One wonders what statements and opinions people on this board have expressed that would be "embarrassing" to the community at-large if they had the same degree of public interest...

Kyrie's opinions may be eccentric, factually incorrect, enamored with conspiracies or in opposition to the political winds that some are driven by, but that shouldn't embarrass anyone at/from Duke. He was recruited to play basketball, did so with distinction and is now in the NBA. Maybe we can all just appreciate his talent and what he gave to Duke fans, and still does, and separate that from what he thinks and says.
    I guess it depends on who those "some alum" are. If it happens to be the coach or others on the staff who are so put off by something, then i don't think not extending an invitation would be abhorrent.

Do you take the same view with, say Deshaun Watson? Aaron Hernandez? Michael Vick?
    Those guys committed clearly criminal actions (one of them is still in the "allegedly" category), including murder. Not sure how you can conflate bizarre potentially upsetting language with murder.

Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    The NBA was in-season at the time, so most of our currently-active alums were unable to attend. I’ve no doubt Kyrie was invited.

But yes, it is embarrassing that he is associated with Duke.

Maybe we could compromise by inviting him to events, but only have him attend the first 1/3rd or so, then sort of awkwardly reappear at the end.
    Sounds like a good comedy skit...

Do I look at him like serial sexual offenders, murderers, or dog fighters? No.

Do I look at him like serial sexual offenders, murderers, or dog fighters? No.
    I'm just curious where you draw the line at ignoring off-the-field issues.

If you think the content of the show he chose to associate himself with has no victims...well...you're talking to someone who grew up 5 minutes from sandy hook elementary.

Mind you, you can choose to draw the line wherever you want, but as other have said, your painting of this is a bit generous.
    April 1

You can draw an extremely direct line from the flat Earth stuff to the COVID misinformation and the conspiracy theories here.

Kyrie is basically the perfect case of why some base level of science literacy is important, and why we all need to be extremely careful about being dismissive with comments like "oh, haha, sure flat Earth is a dumb thing, but it doesn't actually matter in a practical way".