Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill

Favorite Christmas Songs/Hymns - and All Other Holiday Tunes

This topic has come up for discussion in other threads so I thought I'd create a new thread where we can discuss the relative virtues of commas and ye and hark to our collective hearts' content.

I view Christmas hymns and Christmas songs as two different categories, by the way. If the song mentions the birth of Jesus, it's a Christmas hymn. If it's only about Santa, or snow, or holly, or even a combination of all three, it's a Christmas song.
    If it's Here Comes Santa Claus, it's in a weird category all by itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    This topic has come up for discussion in other threads so I thought I'd create a new thread where we can discuss the relative virtues of commas and ye and hark to our collective hearts' content.

I view Christmas hymns and Christmas songs as two different categories, by the way. If the song mentions the birth of Jesus, it's a Christmas hymn. If it's only about Santa, or snow, or holly, or even a combination of all three, it's a Christmas song.
    If it's Here Comes Santa Claus, it's in a weird category all by itself.
    I just can't hear Mary's Boy Child, or Go Tell It on the Mountain and think "hymn", but I understand why you want to make that distinction. For me, "hymn" mean "song meant to be sung in church", so it all works out.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    I just can't hear Mary's Boy Child, or Go Tell It on the Mountain and think "hymn", but I understand why you want to make that distinction. For me, "hymn" mean "song meant to be sung in church", so it all works out.
    To me, “hymn” is opposite of “hyrmn”

so confusing, hymns about him.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    We sing "Go Tell It on the Mountain" in our church almost every Christmas season. I'm pretty sure it's even in our hymnal.

https://music.apple.com/us/playlist/...55D6ZN7h8X7J00

Hope y'all can download. I made this when my kids were little.

Here are some of my favorites, in no particular order:

Religious/Focused on Jesus' birth
    -O Holy Night
    -O Come all Yee Faithful
    -Do You Hear what I Hear
    -Little Drummer Boy

Secular
    -I'll be Home for Christmas
    -Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas
    -Jingle Bell Rock
    -The Christmas Song
    -Do They Know It's Christmas?
    -Santa Baby
    -Feliz Navidad
    -Merry Christmas from the Family
    -Christmas in Hollis
    -Happy Christmas (War is Over)
    -Christmas Time is Here (Charlie Brown Christmas)

Please indulge me for a moment

My favorite popular Christmas song is Nat King Cole's version of O Holy Night. Tears and chills every time.

Let me share a longer list of personal favorite songs with you. The tiny town I hail from, Glen Rock, Pennsylvania, has one of the best small town traditions. At midnight Christmas morning the Glen Rock Carolers gather at the town square to kick off seven hours of walking the town and singing carols. They've been doing this every year since 1848! The original founders of the town were English and wanted to bring the tradition of their homeland to their new home. They began the tradition and the songs that are still sung to this day are mostly English and are not familiar to the average American. The style of singing is unusual. It's kind of like they're shouting which may be so the sound can travel outdoors. Are they pitch perfect? No. Do the brass instruments that accompany them blow a funky note every once in a while? Yes. But it is so beautiful to gather with hundreds at the square and share this time. It's on my bucket list to follow them for an entire night. Members of the group are currently on a trip to England and were able to locate the farm of one of the founders and sing a song or two there.

Their website is very dated looking but is a good source of info if you want to learn more or if you would like to hear a song or two. The lyrics of some of these songs are very beautiful. Hosanna is a favorite of many locals.
    http://162.214.200.122/~northbelltower/c/

You can also find some news stories and cell phone videos on youtube if you search Glen Rock Carolers.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by lmb View Post
    My favorite popular Christmas song is Nat King Cole's version of O Holy Night. Tears and chills every time.

Let me share a longer list of personal favorite songs with you. The tiny town I hail from, Glen Rock, Pennsylvania, has one of the best small town traditions. At midnight Christmas morning the Glen Rock Carolers gather at the town square to kick off seven hours of walking the town and singing carols. They've been doing this every year since 1848! The original founders of the town were English and wanted to bring the tradition of their homeland to their new home. They began the tradition and the songs that are still sung to this day are mostly English and are not familiar to the average American. The style of singing is unusual. It's kind of like they're shouting which may be so the sound can travel outdoors. Are they pitch perfect? No. Do the brass instruments that accompany them blow a funky note every once in a while? Yes. But it is so beautiful to gather with hundreds at the square and share this time. It's on my bucket list to follow them for an entire night. Members of the group are currently on a trip to England and were able to locate the farm of one of the founders and sing a song or two there.

Their website is very dated looking but is a good source of info if you want to learn more or if you would like to hear a song or two. The lyrics of some of these songs are very beautiful. Hosanna is a favorite of many locals.

You can also find some news stories and cell phone videos on youtube if you search Glen Rock Carolers.
    What a lovely story - thanks for sharing!

And I'm reminded of the Whos down in Whoville - in a good way! Gathering in the town square to sing on Christmas morning!

Religious — Chrissie Hynde, In the Bleak Midwinter (Blind Boys of Alabama album, Go Tell It on the Mt)

Secular — John Lennon, So This Is Christmas; Robt Earl Keen, Merry Christmas from the Family; Dar Williams, The Christians and the Pagans
    Last edited by gumbomoop; 12-06-2022 at 02:15 PM.

Do yourself a favor and delve into James Brown's Christmas album. It is absolute fire

https://youtu.be/WYLf5Jwb9Gs

Great share!

Great post and a great tradition.

Some of my favorite Christmas songs.

I can't see God (but I know He's there)
    Silent Night
    Mary did you know?
    O Little town of Bethlehem
    O Holy Night
    What child is this
    Hark The Herald Angels Sing
    Joy to the World
    O Come O Come Emmanuel
    The First Noel
    O Little Town of Bethlehem

These songs have been sung at our Church Christmas program in the past.

Merry Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Great post and a great tradition.

Some of my favorite Christmas songs.

I can't see God (but I know He's there)
    Silent Night
    Mary did you know?
    O Little town of Bethlehem
    O Holy Night
    What child is this
    Hark The Herald Angels Sing
    Joy to the World
    O Come O Come Emmanuel
    The First Noel
    O Little Town of Bethlehem

These songs have been sung at our Church Christmas program in the past.

Merry Christmas
    Fantastic list. We sing most of those at our Christmas Candlelight service every year.

One you don't see mentioned often but I have a fondness for is "I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day" by Longfellow.

We have a Jethro Tull Christmas album. LOL. It's actually quite good and I recommend it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Je...hristmas_Album

Quote Originally Posted by duke79 View Post
    We have a Jethro Tull Christmas album. LOL. It's actually quite good and I recommend it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Je...hristmas_Album
    any snot running down any noses?

I'm a fan of "I Believe in Father Christmas" by ELP.

Oh, and it isn't really a Christmas song, but we treat it that way:

"Stop the Cavalry", written by Jona Lewie, but the performance version that has become a family staple is the one by the Cory Band with the Gwalia Singers. Yuh-buh-duh-buh-dub dub.

I posted this in the Twitter thread because, in the spirit of A Christmas Carol, that thread really needed saving. But here are the performances of a few Christmas songs (mostly classics) that our family enjoys:

White Christmas by The Drifters
    Rudolph by The Temptations
    Christmas Wrapping by The Waitresses
    Children Go Where I Send Thee by Natalie Merchant
    Christmas Song by Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds
    Let It Snow by Boyz II Men

If you haven’t checked these performances out, give ‘em a try.

I will also share the new addition to our list, suggested by ClemmonsDevil:

Christmas in Dixie by Alabama

(I’m guessing a few members of this board were more familiar with that last one than this yankee.)
    Carolina delenda est