Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I saw a headline that made specific mention of Mack Brown's buyout numbers.
    “You can’t go home again.”

Quote Originally Posted by BigWayne View Post
    Well, he's just using "prime" now, dropping the time part. With the way TV is consumed now, I wonder if college age kids even know what prime time is referring to.
    I also wonder if they associate "prime" more with the evening TV time slot, or fine cuts of beef.
    These are scholar-athletes and college students -- surely they associate it with the number theory concept.

Here's one for rumors dispelled...or more rumblings and potential targets. Since OC Kenny Dillingham left Oregon for the Arizona St HC job, they were looking at who to replace him with and apparently Kevin Johns was a target. They opted for Will Stein from UTSA. Johns has definitely generated notice for what he's done at Duke, and there may be others who inquire. To me thats the sign that you have a healthy program. Elko has a good staff.

Quote Originally Posted by HoKogan View Post
    Here's one for rumors dispelled...or more rumblings and potential targets. Since OC Kenny Dillingham left Oregon for the Arizona St HC job, they were looking at who to replace him with and apparently Kevin Johns was a target. They opted for Will Stein from UTSA. Johns has definitely generated notice for what he's done at Duke, and there may be others who inquire. To me thats the sign that you have a healthy program. Elko has a good staff.
    yeah, I fear he could be gone relatively soon because of the terrific job he has done, so I'm enjoying him while we have him...better than having staff members no one would want...

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    I am excited about the hiring. But Deion, with his swagger, jewelry and verve is a real change in style for a coach in Boulder. I hope he can co-exist with the University administration and the community. I think the fans are more than prepared to welcome him and, if he wins, he will be idolized. I think there will be some adjustment for both Deion and the administration.

Long winded way of saying that I think it is a good hire but it has some risk, apart from wins and losses, for Deion.
    I have to think that if Deion is even mildly successful, one of the bigger football powers is going to come calling in a couple years. Mike Norvell did a nice job with FSU this season, but the moment he has a season where he only wins 7 games (or less) the cries for Deion to come home are going to be deafening.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    “You can’t go home again.”
    It's amazing that the fans are turning on him. Their previous coach was a disaster, and Mack made them a team that will consistently be ranked, sometimes in the top 10 (even though unjustifiably so). It seems like fans are upset as if they thought they were going to win a championship. I am very much looking forward to Mack's retirement. It seems like he is a good recruiter. When that falls off, they are in trouble. I like the idea of UNC basketball remaining a top team because I want to beat them when they are at their best. In football, not so. I'd like an opportunity to stomp them.

Any guesses on when Mack will retire? I'm hoping this is the season. He's 71. Interestingly enough, so is Saban, but he looks younger. Don't get me started on Leonard Hamilton, the timeless enigma.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Louisville has found their coach, and now there's an opening at Purdue.

After six seasons at Purdue, Brohm is close to becoming the head coach at Louisville, his alma mater and hometown university.
    Brohm turned down the Louisville job back in 2018, feeling like he couldn’t leave Purdue after being there only two seasons. But now, after leading Purdue to a nine-win season in 2021 (its most in 18 seasons) and a Big Ten West title this season, Brohm decided the time was right to head back to Louisville.
    https://www.yahoo.com/sports/reports...163513652.html
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by Southgate0809 View Post
    It's amazing that the fans are turning on him. Their previous coach was a disaster, and Mack made them a team that will consistently be ranked, sometimes in the top 10 (even though unjustifiably so). It seems like fans are upset as if they thought they were going to win a championship. I am very much looking forward to Mack's retirement. It seems like he is a good recruiter. When that falls off, they are in trouble. I like the idea of UNC basketball remaining a top team because I want to beat them when they are at their best. In football, not so. I'd like an opportunity to stomp them.

Any guesses on when Mack will retire? I'm hoping this is the season. He's 71. Interestingly enough, so is Saban, but he looks younger. Don't get me started on Leonard Hamilton, the timeless enigma.
    ESPN reporting the Cheats OC (Longo?) headed to Wisconsin. That’s not gonna help ole Mack.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    ESPN reporting the Cheats OC (Longo?) headed to Wisconsin. That’s not gonna help ole Mack.
    The DC sure ain't gonna get any calls this off season.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Their OL coach is gone too, apparently. Jack Bicknell going with Longo.

Why do you want him to retire?

Mack is the gift that keeps giving. UNC fans should demand he leave but for the rest of the league he's hilarious. UNC is like the big football powers in that 5* players are leaving in the TP. Mack though has a worse record than Larry Fedora through the same number of games (51). He was fired from Texas because he took a top 10 recruiting class all the way to 0 players being drafted. Not a single player was drafted by the NFL from Texas top 10 recruiting class. Mack is the biggest joke out there, brown bags full of cash for recruitment, fun guy for the parents. He doesn't have a clue anymore and fired his DC last year...who went to UGA and...wow UGA D was best in the country. His OC just got fired and went to Wisky. I bet Wisky O goes gangsta next year and they challenge for Big10.

Mack is so bad, taking top 20 recruiting classes into oblivion that when you compare * rankings with field success UNC stands out for being crap. Why do you want that kind of guy fired. Coach for life.

Quote Originally Posted by dukewolf View Post
    Mack is the gift that keeps giving. UNC fans should demand he leave but for the rest of the league he's hilarious. UNC is like the big football powers in that 5* players are leaving in the TP. Mack though has a worse record than Larry Fedora through the same number of games (51). He was fired from Texas because he took a top 10 recruiting class all the way to 0 players being drafted. Not a single player was drafted by the NFL from Texas top 10 recruiting class. Mack is the biggest joke out there, brown bags full of cash for recruitment, fun guy for the parents. He doesn't have a clue anymore and fired his DC last year...who went to UGA and...wow UGA D was best in the country. His OC just got fired and went to Wisky. I bet Wisky O goes gangsta next year and they challenge for Big10.

Mack is so bad, taking top 20 recruiting classes into oblivion that when you compare * rankings with field success UNC stands out for being crap. Why do you want that kind of guy fired. Coach for life.
    Why do we want him to leave? Because after Spurrier humiliated him, he has beaten us constantly. I vote to bring back Fedora. He’s classless and fits in well with the “Carolina way.”

So Jason Garrett is a finalist for the Stanford job according to some site that was on the MSN news page. The article claims that he was "very nearly" the Duke coach until they went with Elko. Now, other than a couple of reporters that tweeted that Garrett was interested in the Duke job, I never heard anything more than that, certainly nothing that suggested he was "very nearly" the next coach. Same sort of thing that states that Tony Elliott was definitely the second choice until he took the UVA job. I know Elliott was a finalist but he and Mike Elko interviewed at the same time, and by taking the UVA job he essentially took himself out of the running. Just as possible that if he never takes the job, nina King might have liked Mike Elko a bit better.

So Jason Garrett is a finalist for the Stanford job according to some site that was on the MSN news page. The article claims that he was "very nearly" the Duke coach until they went with Elko. Now, other than a couple of reporters that tweeted that Garrett was interested in the Duke job, I never heard anything more than that, certainly nothing that suggested he was "very nearly" the next coach. Same sort of thing that states that Tony Elliott was definitely the second choice until he took the UVA job. I know Elliott was a finalist but he and Mike Elko interviewed at the same time, and by taking the UVA job he essentially took himself out of the running. Just as possible that if he never takes the job, nina King might have liked Mike Elko a bit better.
    I remember we interviewed the Notre Dame coach. I guess it was a win for even getting him to agree to an interview, but I don't think anyone had any expectations that we were going to land him. Then I knew they were considering Elliott. I had kind of gotten the impression that he was the next choice, but he opted to go to UVA, so we went with Elko, but I don't think any of us outsiders have an actual clue what went on with the hiring process. Garrett seemed to be like a guy that people were talking about at the time, but that there was less concrete evidence about him being an actual candidate. I'm surprised like you on the idea that he was almost our coach.

I assume that there was pressure and/or desire from the university to hire a black head coach for the football or basketball team. Not making a comment on that being good or bad and not inviting there to be a discussion about that, but all the circumstances make me wonder how high up the list Elko was originally. I assume if Notre Dame's coach (I'm blanking on his name) wanted to come to Duke, that would be a huge get and hard to say no to. Was Elko pick #3 after Elliott? Or #4 behind Elliott and Garrett? After this season, I think we all feel like he is the right guy, but it would be discouraging to hear that we were going to hire 2 or 3 people ahead of him. It would also be discouraging to learn that we were actually going to hire Amaker ahead of Scheyer. Did anyone read that book that talked about that? I don't feel like the situation was ever fully explained.

I remember we interviewed the Notre Dame coach. I guess it was a win for even getting him to agree to an interview, but I don't think anyone had any expectations that we were going to land him. Then I knew they were considering Elliott. I had kind of gotten the impression that he was the next choice, but he opted to go to UVA, so we went with Elko, but I don't think any of us outsiders have an actual clue what went on with the hiring process. Garrett seemed to be like a guy that people were talking about at the time, but that there was less concrete evidence about him being an actual candidate. I'm surprised like you on the idea that he was almost our coach.

I assume that there was pressure and/or desire from the university to hire a black head coach for the football or basketball team. Not making a comment on that being good or bad and not inviting there to be a discussion about that, but all the circumstances make me wonder how high up the list Elko was originally. I assume if Notre Dame's coach (I'm blanking on his name) wanted to come to Duke, that would be a huge get and hard to say no to. Was Elko pick #3 after Elliott? Or #4 behind Elliott and Garrett? After this season, I think we all feel like he is the right guy, but it would be discouraging to hear that we were going to hire 2 or 3 people ahead of him. It would also be discouraging to learn that we were actually going to hire Amaker ahead of Scheyer. Did anyone read that book that talked about that? I don't feel like the situation was ever fully explained.
    I think it was strongly intimated that Marcus Freeman was Nina's #1 target. The Brian Kelly to LSU thing happened so fast that Duke never stood a chance. Beyond that, the first names I heard leak were Todd Monken, Tony Elliott and Mike Elko, with no real emphasis put on either. The pundits threw Josh Gattis and Jason Garrett in there, but there was nothing substantive to back that up. I don't know if Monken ever interviewed, but Duke was high on both Elliott and Elko and no real tell on who the favorite was.

I don't know if it is true but I was a little surprised to read the news story that Jason Garrett is apparently one of the finalists for the Stanford head coaching job. I don't have any inside knowledge but I never believed he was seriously in the running for the Duke job. It sounded like some sort of rumor a put out there by a sportswriter or someone in the Garrett camp. I would guess Stanford, despite some lean years recently, should have some very good choices for their football job and Jason Garrett has no college football experience and a mixed record in the pros.

I think it was strongly intimated that Marcus Freeman was Nina's #1 target. The Brian Kelly to LSU thing happened so fast that Duke never stood a chance. Beyond that, the first names I heard leak were Todd Monken, Tony Elliott and Mike Elko, with no real emphasis put on either. The pundits threw Josh Gattis and Jason Garrett in there, but there was nothing substantive to back that up. I don't know if Monken ever interviewed, but Duke was high on both Elliott and Elko and no real tell on who the favorite was.
    that's my interpretation as well. Very happy we ended up with Elko, that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    that's my interpretation as well. Very happy we ended up with Elko, that's for sure.
    Agreed on both counts. Don't think Garrett was ever seriously in the mix, much less "very nearly" the Duke coach. And couldn't be any happier that we have Elko.

When you have the worst team in the Power-5, why would you expect to get your 1st or 2nd choice for head coach when 10 or more other teams are also searching?

Stanford hires FCS coach. FCS carousel: https://theanalyst.com/na/2022/12/20...lege-football/

Didn't realize Ed McCaffrey got fired.