Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 160
  1. #81
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    Quote Originally Posted by HoKogan View Post
    This is why I think a mid tier p5 job like Duke or Wake or UVA isn't as bad as some say. Those fans have expectations sure, but there is going to be an understanding that your on field results can vary to a wide variety of factors that you can't always control. Disappointment is always relative to expectations, and I'm sure there are Wake fans who are disappointed they finished 7-5. Are they going to want Clawson fired though? I doubt it. It really depends on what the coach and where he wants to take his career and what he wants to do with the program.
    Yes, I've been on this bandwagon for some time. Not every guy is motivated by thoughts of coaching at Alabama...Duke offers a very attractive package of a very competitive salary, good work environment, and most of all extremely good job security.
    That's going to suffice for some people...little we can do about it anyway, but I think Nina made a very good choice who will stick around...

  2. #82
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Yes, I've been on this bandwagon for some time. Not every guy is motivated by thoughts of coaching at Alabama...Duke offers a very attractive package of a very competitive salary, good work environment, and most of all extremely good job security.
    That's going to suffice for some people...little we can do about it anyway, but I think Nina made a very good choice who will stick around...
    I'm not sure that David Cutcliffe would agree with you 100% on this statement. Even at a non-football powerhouse like Duke, there are SOME expectations about wins and losses (obviously, not like at Alabama or ND or other "football" schools). But I don't dispute your point that coaching ANY sport at Duke, including football, can be a good gig.

  3. #83
    Quote Originally Posted by HoKogan View Post
    This is why I think a mid tier p5 job like Duke or Wake or UVA isn't as bad as some say. Those fans have expectations sure, but there is going to be an understanding that your on field results can vary to a wide variety of factors that you can't always control. Disappointment is always relative to expectations, and I'm sure there are Wake fans who are disappointed they finished 7-5. Are they going to want Clawson fired though? I doubt it. It really depends on what the coach and where he wants to take his career and what he wants to do with the program.
    I have 2 Wake grads in my family. And they are definitely disappointed. But they donít blame Clawson.

    Wake had a weird year. They were really good at the beginning of the season. Beat Florida St.by 10 and took Clemson to 2 overtimes. And were sitting at 6-1.

    But they had significant injuries, especially on defense and in the secondary. They (and Hartman) had 1 really terrible game against Louisville, and unfortunately let that affect their performance the next 2 weeks against State and Carolina. Early season Wake probably wins both of those games, or at least one. But they were not the same team late in the season that they were to begin the season.

    I think they are a lot like Duke imo - at a smaller school, itís hard to sustain significant injuries because you lack quality depth. I know against Carolina, Wake was starting their former 3rd string players in the secondary.

  4. #84
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by duke79 View Post
    I'm not sure that David Cutcliffe would agree with you 100% on this statement. Even at a non-football powerhouse like Duke, there are SOME expectations about wins and losses (obviously, not like at Alabama or ND or other "football" schools). But I don't dispute your point that coaching ANY sport at Duke, including football, can be a good gig.
    Well if Cut had been trading out losing years with winning years, he'd still be here. He was a downward spiral, however, with little sign that anything would be changing.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

  5. #85
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    On the Road to Nowhere
    Quote Originally Posted by duke79 View Post
    I'm not sure that David Cutcliffe would agree with you 100% on this statement. Even at a non-football powerhouse like Duke, there are SOME expectations about wins and losses (obviously, not like at Alabama or ND or other "football" schools). But I don't dispute your point that coaching ANY sport at Duke, including football, can be a good gig.
    I will be forever grateful for what David Cutcliffe did for Duke football. However, as the kids say, Duke football was not trending (well) the past few years. And it's not just a year or two's performance, it's about what you can read in the tea leaves of recruiting.
    Past is gone, thou canst not that recall; Future is not, may not be at all;
    Present is, [so] improve the flying hour; Present only is within thy power. - Friar Park Clock Tower [author unknown]

  6. #86
    Quote Originally Posted by duke79 View Post
    I'm not sure that David Cutcliffe would agree with you 100% on this statement. Even at a non-football powerhouse like Duke, there are SOME expectations about wins and losses (obviously, not like at Alabama or ND or other "football" schools). But I don't dispute your point that coaching ANY sport at Duke, including football, can be a good gig.
    I don't think anyone indicated there were NO expectations at a job like Duke, but the expectations are far different. Cutcliffe coached 13 seasons at Duke with a
    74 and 88 record, which no doubt included a long leash early on to restore the program to being competitive (which wasn't until his 5th season). I'd think that most power 5 schools with moderate expectations would have considered moving on from Cut after 2016, and some programs possibly moving on after 2015, and we aren't talking the NDs or Alabamas of CFB. Cutcliffe didn't lose his job strictly on wins and losses, He lost the team, some would say after the Clemson game in 2018, it showed on the field, and who knows what on behind the scenes. If Cutcliffe was a regular 6-6, 7-5 game winner, he'd probably still be the coach strictly in terms of record. So yeah, Cutcliffe had extremely good job security, especially for a P5 program.

  7. #87
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    On the Road to Nowhere
    Quote Originally Posted by HoKogan View Post
    I don't think anyone indicated there were NO expectations at a job like Duke, but the expectations are far different. Cutcliffe coached 13 seasons at Duke with a
    74 and 88 record, which no doubt included a long leash early on to restore the program to being competitive (which wasn't until his 5th season). I'd think that most power 5 schools with moderate expectations would have considered moving on from Cut after 2016, and some programs possibly moving on after 2015, and we aren't talking the NDs or Alabamas of CFB. Cutcliffe didn't lose his job strictly on wins and losses, He lost the team, some would say after the Clemson game in 2018, it showed on the field, and who knows what on behind the scenes. If Cutcliffe was a regular 6-6, 7-5 game winner, he'd probably still be the coach strictly in terms of record. So yeah, Cutcliffe had extremely good job security, especially for a P5 program.
    Wow you're tough! Duke has won 6 bowls in their entire history, Cutcliffe won half of them, the last in 2018. Granted, bowls weren't nearly as prolific as they are now, but still, Duke wouldn't have qualified for many of them anyway. I know 6 is currently the magic number, but since 1963 Duke won 7+ games (possible chance at a decent bowl) only 3 times before Cutcliffe. Duke had only 1 season with more than 4 wins since Spurrier in 1989. I don't believe in miracles, but Cutcliffe came close.
    Past is gone, thou canst not that recall; Future is not, may not be at all;
    Present is, [so] improve the flying hour; Present only is within thy power. - Friar Park Clock Tower [author unknown]

  8. #88
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hot'Lanta... home of the Falcons!
    If you have already seen a reporter explicitly NOT ASK Deion Sanders about taking the head coaching job at Colorado today, then you need not watch the funniest interview of the day: https://twitter.com/CUBarstool/statu...96756426670081
    I don't know what you are doing right now, but if you aren't listening to the DBR Podcast, you're doing it wrong.

  9. #89
    Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Wow you're tough! Duke has won 6 bowls in their entire history, Cutcliffe won half of them, the last in 2018. Granted, bowls weren't nearly as prolific as they are now, but still, Duke wouldn't have qualified for many of them anyway. I know 6 is currently the magic number, but since 1963 Duke won 7+ games (possible chance at a decent bowl) only 3 times before Cutcliffe. Duke had only 1 season with more than 4 wins since Spurrier in 1989. I don't believe in miracles, but Cutcliffe came close.
    I think we're getting our wires crossed a bit. I'm just saying that Cutcliffe had great job security at Duke, and that results that may have landed him on the hot seat at other P5 institutions, even those with more moderate expectations, were not an issue at Duke. Also, the decision for Duke to move on wasn't strictly results driven, there were other issues that suggested that it was time for a culture change.

    I know there is a small enclave of Duke fans that didn't care for Cutcliffe, or they try to mitigate what he accomplished during his time here. Thats not me. I 100% appreciate what he did and the effort he tried to exert to salvage a 2 decade long moribund disaster. When the pundits say Coach Elko had to rescue Duke Football from falling back to pre Cutcliffe levels of futility, I have to roll my eyes. I totally appreciate Elko's shot in the arm and his approach, but the 2 are not remotely comparable.

  10. #90
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTrain View Post
    They are not looking this way

    The early list from my Stanford sources is:
    Chris Petersen
    Dan Quinn
    Greg Roman
    Troy Taylor; and
    Troy Walters
    Per The Athletic and the Baltimore Sun, Stanford has met with Roman. John Harbaugh confirmed at the Ravens presser

  11. #91
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Steamboat Springs, CO
    Greg Roman was an assistant at Stanford for the 2009 and 2010 seasons.

  12. #92
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Santa Cruz CA
    Quote Originally Posted by HoKogan View Post
    If he leaves for a bigger job he was clearly tempted by the fruit of another.

    Does he have coaching experience? I know he did analysis for ESPN after his pro career ended, but like with Jeff Saturday and herm Edwards, I don't know how that is supposed to translate to coaching success.
    He's been coaching HS football in Nashville for a few years.

  13. #93
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by BigWayne View Post
    He's been coaching HS football in Nashville for a few years.
    One could say that's more experience than Kara had when she was hired at Duke.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

  14. #94
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    Quote Originally Posted by HoKogan View Post
    I don't think anyone indicated there were NO expectations at a job like Duke, but the expectations are far different. Cutcliffe coached 13 seasons at Duke with a
    74 and 88 record, which no doubt included a long leash early on to restore the program to being competitive (which wasn't until his 5th season). I'd think that most power 5 schools with moderate expectations would have considered moving on from Cut after 2016, and some programs possibly moving on after 2015, and we aren't talking the NDs or Alabamas of CFB. Cutcliffe didn't lose his job strictly on wins and losses, He lost the team, some would say after the Clemson game in 2018, it showed on the field, and who knows what on behind the scenes. If Cutcliffe was a regular 6-6, 7-5 game winner, he'd probably still be the coach strictly in terms of record. So yeah, Cutcliffe had extremely good job security, especially for a P5 program.
    Yeah, Cut hardly disproved the notion that the Duke coaching job comes with very very good job security. In 14 seasons he had five winning records, only three winning ACC records, and his final years were dumpster fires that would have gotten him fired anywhere. His teams were 4-22 in the ACC for his final three seasons.

  15. #95
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Steamboat Springs, CO
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Yeah, Cut hardly disproved the notion that the Duke coaching job comes with very very good job security. In 14 seasons he had five winning records, only three winning ACC records, and his final years were dumpster fires that would have gotten him fired anywhere. His teams were 4-22 in the ACC for his final three seasons.
    Duke win totals the eight seasons before Cut:
    0-0-2-4-2-1-0-1 -- Ave. of 1.25

    Win totals under Cut:
    4-5-3-3-6-10-9-8-4-7-8-5-2-3
    Ave. of 5.5.

    He earned some patience from Duke.

  16. #96
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Duke win totals the eight seasons before Cut:
    0-0-2-4-2-1-0-1 -- Ave. of 1.25

    Win totals under Cut:
    4-5-3-3-6-10-9-8-4-7-8-5-2-3
    Ave. of 5.5.

    He earned some patience from Duke.
    And then he lost it. The prognostication for a turnaround wasn't there, as evidenced by the media predicting a dead last ACC finish. And had Cutcliffe still been at the helm, that would have been my prediction, too.

    This thread is getting off the rails, but I think we all can agree that a school like Duke does offer SOME job security, but it's not in stone, and for the money you get paid in a sport that brings in the big bucks, you have to toss the fans a bone every other year or so.
    Our bones were coming from turkeys, not cows. (Check out the smoked meats thread to see which is preferred. )
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

  17. #97
    Quote Originally Posted by duke79 View Post
    I'm not sure that David Cutcliffe would agree with you 100% on this statement. Even at a non-football powerhouse like Duke, there are SOME expectations about wins and losses (obviously, not like at Alabama or ND or other "football" schools). But I don't dispute your point that coaching ANY sport at Duke, including football, can be a good gig.
    David Cutcliffe had great job security. Very, very few people would argue that he should have been given more time at Duke.

    In fact, I canít think of any.

  18. #98
    Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Wow you're tough! Duke has won 6 bowls in their entire history, Cutcliffe won half of them, the last in 2018. Granted, bowls weren't nearly as prolific as they are now, but still, Duke wouldn't have qualified for many of them anyway. I know 6 is currently the magic number, but since 1963 Duke won 7+ games (possible chance at a decent bowl) only 3 times before Cutcliffe. Duke had only 1 season with more than 4 wins since Spurrier in 1989. I don't believe in miracles, but Cutcliffe came close.
    ...and then he stayed two years too long...squandered some of the goodwill I had.

  19. #99
    Quote Originally Posted by SavDukeGrad View Post
    I have 2 Wake grads in my family. And they are definitely disappointed. But they don’t blame Clawson.

    Wake had a weird year. They were really good at the beginning of the season. Beat Florida St.by 10 and took Clemson to 2 overtimes. And were sitting at 6-1.

    But they had significant injuries, especially on defense and in the secondary. They (and Hartman) had 1 really terrible game against Louisville, and unfortunately let that affect their performance the next 2 weeks against State and Carolina. Early season Wake probably wins both of those games, or at least one. But they were not the same team late in the season that they were to begin the season.

    I think they are a lot like Duke imo - at a smaller school, it’s hard to sustain significant injuries because you lack quality depth. I know against Carolina, Wake was starting their former 3rd string players in the secondary.
    AGREED:
    Wake and Duke are a lot alike in this regard...and it's VERY rare that both schools have more than 5 wins in the same year. The "private school success lane for NC schools in football" is normally a winding trail with one lane at most. Its so exhausting to keep winning with such a small margin of error. This is why I'm shocked Clausen stayed at Wake. He's probably been the best coach in the ACC the last few seasons...(almost impossible to compare Clemson and Wake in that regard)...and he surely had opportunities last year. Purely from a career standpoint...the way most coaches look at it...he should have taken the bigger job last season.

    If Wake starts to show slippage...he may never have that shot again. Maybe he's not interested in the big time...but he strikes me as the kind of guy who is.

  20. #100
    Quote Originally Posted by HoKogan View Post
    If you want to feel slimy is disgusted, you can read about Hugh Freeze since his hire to Auburn. I knew about some of the stuff at Ole Miss but not all. Supposedly he's still been something of a creep at Liberty as well.
    So Auburn boosters tried to dig up/create dirt on Bryan Harsin so they could hire Hugh Freeze. Yes, Auburn, he is ďthe best fit.Ē

    https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/au...lege-football/

Similar Threads

  1. MBB: 2022 Coaching Carousel
    By Tripping William in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 258
    Last Post: 06-18-2022, 07:21 PM
  2. 2016 College Football Coaching Carousel
    By A-Tex Devil in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 12-04-2016, 01:09 AM
  3. College FB coaching carousel (2014-15 edition)
    By Reilly in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 80
    Last Post: 02-02-2015, 03:08 PM
  4. 2013 College Football Coaching Carousel
    By Duvall in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 104
    Last Post: 01-11-2014, 04:29 PM
  5. MBB: [non-ACC] Coaching Carousel - 2011 edition
    By -jk in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 146
    Last Post: 04-04-2011, 07:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •