Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by HoKogan View Post
    If he leaves for a bigger job he was clearly tempted by the fruit of another.

Does he have coaching experience? I know he did analysis for ESPN after his pro career ended, but like with Jeff Saturday and herm Edwards, I don't know how that is supposed to translate to coaching success.

I've heard GT is looking to either hire Willie Fritz or stick with Brent Key. Its a hard situation. I think Key can coach, but thats just a fraction of the overall job. Fritz is old and like Collins before him, has success at the GOF level, which may not translate to a power 5.

If you want to feel slimy is disgusted, you can read about Hugh Freeze since his hire to Auburn. I knew about some of the stuff at Ole Miss but not all. Supposedly he's still been something of a creep at Liberty as well.

Fritz staying at Tulane as GT takes the interim title off Brent Key.

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    David Cutcliffe had great job security. Very, very few people would argue that he should have been given more time at Duke.

In fact, I can’t think of any.
    Yes. Rehashing for the nth time how few wins Duke had before he arrived is irrelevant, since we ALL note and thank him for rejuvenating Duke football. No one questions that.

But the current discussion is about job security, and what Duke offers vis a vis other schools...and any notion that Cut was not given an ultra long leash is just laughable. In fact I would say that, of all 131 FBS teams, he had the very longest leash of anyone during his last season. By many measurements, at the end of last year Duke was the worst P5 program by a fairly wide margin. He'd completely lost the team. (and yes, we still thank him for his contribution).

Point being that Elko may (emphasis) not necessarily be looking to rise up the coaching ranks...The very reasonable Duke salary (estimated to be $4 million plus), good work environment (good AD) and very solid job security is not to be sneezed at.
    Ask Paul Chryst whom Wisconsin fired after going 67-26...that would not happen at Duke, of this I'm quite certain. Get to a bowl more often than not at Duke and the job is very very secure. But who knows what Mike Elko is thinking. Much (as always) may be determined by how much his family likes living in NC...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Much (as always) may be determined by how much his family likes living in NC...
    As he made the typical rise up the coaching ranks, they will have lived in enough places to know. This is his 11th coaching stop covering 7 states. If anything, his family may want to stay put for a while. He and his wife are both from New Jersey so close enough to family, and they've got 3 kids.

Look at the grousing going on at Ohio State. What a miserable job.
    Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote. - George Jean Nathan

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    As he made the typical rise up the coaching ranks, they will have lived in enough places to know. This is his 11th coaching stop covering 7 states. If anything, his family may want to stay put for a while. He and his wife are both from New Jersey so close enough to family, and they've got 3 kids.

Look at the grousing going on at Ohio State. What a miserable job.
    I agree. As the positions rise so does the incessant pressure. Not everything in life is a move up. Sometimes that is, effectively, a move down in quality of life. If $4 million is not enough to live on and provide for the future, you got real messed up priorities.

My friend Bud Womble wrote:
    But the current discussion is about job security, and what Duke offers vis a vis other schools...and any notion that Cut was not given an ultra long leash is just laughable. In fact I would say that, of all 131 FBS teams, he had the very longest leash of anyone during his last season. By many measurements, at the end of last year Duke was the worst P5 program by a fairly wide margin. He'd completely lost the team. (and yes, we still thank him for his contribution).
    I tend to agree, although I think there was a reluctance to terminate Cut after 2020 because it was a Covid year, which disrupted games, training, practice etc.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Well if Cut had been trading out losing years with winning years, he'd still be here. He was a downward spiral, however, with little sign that anything would be changing.
    Agreed completely that Cut’s time was up, but the shocker is how much talent he left behind. Admittedly if he had stayed most might have transferred. Credit to him and his assistants, who I have constantly complained about, for having a good eye for finding under recruited players. In the final years Cut didn’t have the staff to teach and coach up those players. If Elko and company can recruit well the sky’s the limit.

Louisville's Scott Satterfield leaves for Cincinnati. I'm rooting for a repeat of their basketball search. Louisville is the new Maryland based on my experience.

Link: https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...e-luke-fickell

Surprised nobody mentioned Deion to Colorado finally happening.

Interesting video of him on various platforms addressing the CO team where he tells them to jump in the portal to make room for guys he wants to bring in.

Quote Originally Posted by BigWayne View Post

Interesting video of him on various platforms addressing the CO team where he tells them to jump in the portal to make room for guys he wants to bring in.
    Made me laugh. I actually appreciate the honesty.

I certainly don't begrudge Deion for going to a bigger school. What I *do* have an issue with is how he presented himself as an HBCU savior only to leave after 2-3 years and *how* he's leaving.

- Gives speech to his current players about how coaching is basically "leave or be fired" while ignoring that guys like Eddie Robinson stuck around Grambling for 56 years. If he truly cared about HBCUs, he'd stick around longer rather than just using Jackson St as a springboard.

- Announces how he's taking his best players with him.

- Gives a speech to the Colorado players that basically tells them he's cleaning house. Before he's even coached his last Jackson St game.

Prime has always had an issue with making everything about himself, but this is just pathetic.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

And introducing his son as the new QB.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    And introducing his son as the new QB.
    Oh man, I forgot about that one.

Even if his son is light years better than what they have, you don't announce a new QB without even the illusion of a competition. Especially when it's your son.

Asking to lose the locker room before you even start.

Ok, in fairness if you listen to Deion's entire speech, he is telling the players to either shape up or get out. He isn't saying he wants all of them to leave. In fact, a Colorado WR who had already entered the portal prior to Deion being hired has tweeted that he is coming back because he wants to play for Prime Time!

Sanders is a big deal. According to On3 recruiting analyst Josh Newberg, Colorado is being inundated with recruits and portal players who want to come there. Deion may remake that team darn quick. He connects with kids and they want to play for him.
    A source at Colorado tells me over 200 recruits and portal transfers have reached out in the last 12 hours.

Some of them are 4 and 5-star caliber players. Deion Sanders has a chance to make some noise before Signing Day.

NIL money is also rolling in, I'm told.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Ok, in fairness if you listen to Deion's entire speech, he is telling the players to either shape up or get out. He isn't saying he wants all of them to leave. In fact, a Colorado WR who had already entered the portal prior to Deion being hired has tweeted that he is coming back because he wants to play for Prime Time!

Sanders is a big deal. According to On3 recruiting analyst Josh Newberg, Colorado is being inundated with recruits and portal players who want to come there. Deion may remake that team darn quick. He connects with kids and they want to play for him.
    Maybe he's perfect for the changing college NIL landscape, and that's fine.

He's still doing it in a way that seems pretty tasteless. I was really rooting for him to spend a little more time at Jackson St and really build that school up like he said he wanted to. But turns out that was all smoke.

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    Maybe he's perfect for the changing college NIL landscape, and that's fine.

He's still doing it in a way that seems pretty tasteless. I was really rooting for him to spend a little more time at Jackson St and really build that school up like he said he wanted to. But turns out that was all smoke.
    I'm a long term Buffs fan. I have a few connections in the administration and have occasionally represented, or at least talked about legal issues, with football players. I've been a guest lecturer at the law school and have built a few relationships there.

Coach Prime represents a major cultural change, in my opinion, for the Buffs. He is the fourth black head coach which is pretty amazing.

I started going to Buffs games just when Bill McCartney began to turn the program around. I kept my tickets through the Neuheisel and Barnett days but the Buffs became so bad that I could no longer justify the expense of a season ticket when, occasionally, I would go to a Buffs game and get a ticket for less than face value.

The University of Colorado, while not Stanford or Duke, has been historically hesitant to accept transfer players or, in the old days, Prop 48 recruits. Boulder and the University of Colorado don't have many black residents or students. Some of the football players I have talked to in the past have not felt very comfortable in Boulder. While "The People's Republic of Boulder" has a reputation for leaning left, I suspect that Boulder can seem a bit snooty and unwelcoming to a kid from a different background.

I am excited about the hiring. But Deion, with his swagger, jewelry and verve is a real change in style for a coach in Boulder. I hope he can co-exist with the University administration and the community. I think the fans are more than prepared to welcome him and, if he wins, he will be idolized. I think there will be some adjustment for both Deion and the administration.

Long winded way of saying that I think it is a good hire but it has some risk, apart from wins and losses, for Deion.

I saw a rumor (?) that Tim Beck the NCSU OC was taking the Coastal Carolina job since Chadwell is now off to Liberty

Quote Originally Posted by HoKogan View Post
    I saw a rumor (?) that Tim Beck the NCSU OC was taking the Coastal Carolina job since Chadwell is now off to Liberty
    Please don't post rumors.

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/...269591161.html

"Coastal Carolina University announced Sunday afternoon it has hired Wolfpack offensive coordinator Tim Beck to replace Jamey Chadwell, who is leaving to take the head coaching job at Liberty."

-jk

I saw a headline that made specific mention of Mack Brown's buyout numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

Agree on the speech and on Deion in general.

He still ruined the best nickname in all of sports history when he went for the vanilla "Prime Time" in lieu of Neon Deion....

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Agree on the speech and on Deion in general.

He still ruined the best nickname in all of sports history when he went for the vanilla "Prime Time" in lieu of Neon Deion...
    Well, he's just using "prime" now, dropping the time part. With the way TV is consumed now, I wonder if college age kids even know what prime time is referring to.
    I also wonder if they associate "prime" more with the evening TV time slot, or fine cuts of beef.