Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    https://twitter.com/espnrittenberg/s...W---GPAVnYB4xA

Paul Chryst out at Wisconsin
    2-3 start, 0-2 in conference play

Quote Originally Posted by PDDuke85 View Post

Interesting twist: Wisconsin’s second-winningest football coach was Bret Bielema, who had 68 wins there. Bielema now coaches Illinois. Chryst was fired after losing to Bielema and Illinois. Chryst is the third-winningest WI coach, with 67 wins. Bielema made sure his record stands. Nobody is going to catch Barry Alvarez.
    Last edited by AtlBluRew; 10-02-2022 at 08:14 PM. Reason: Fact corrected
    No soup for you!

Quote Originally Posted by AtlBluRew View Post
    Interesting twist: Wisconsin’s second-winningest football coach was Bret Bielema, who had 68 wins there. Bielema now coaches Illinois. Chryst was fired after losing to Bielema and Illinois. Chryst is the third-winningest WI coach, with 67 wins. Bielema made sure his record stands. Nobody is going to catch Barry Alvarez.
    And this abrupt action for a guy who played at Wisconsin, was a successful coordinator there, and went 67-26 during his tenure as Head Coach. He couldn't even coach the remainder of the season?

Is there more to this story or just another example of "what have you done lately"?

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    And this abrupt action for a guy who played at Wisconsin, was a successful coordinator there, and went 67-26 during his tenure as Head Coach. He couldn't even coach the remainder of the season?

Is there more to this story or just another example of "what have you done lately"?
    This is really unusual in that with a record of 67-26 he is relieved of his position after that record and going 2-3 in this year. Something we don't know about?

I half expected Oklahoma to fire Venables this week....I think Clemson fans were probably relieved to have both of their coordinators hired away last year. Venables seemed to have gone stale at DC...and why anyone thought Elliot was a good coach is beyond me. Considering the talent he had, I thought Clemson's offense was pedestrian at best. He's already ruined UVa's QB it seems....

Quote Originally Posted by 53n206 View Post
    This is really unusual in that with a record of 67-26 he is relieved of his position after that record and going 2-3 in this year. Something we don't know about?
    I've wondered whether recruiting has changed the coaching change game. Firing your coach in September/October seems to be en vogue. It was just delaying the inevitable November firing for most of the coaches on this thread. Chryst was the exception, but even Northwestern has gotten their fair share wins against them over the past 20 years.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post
    I've wondered whether recruiting has changed the coaching change game. Firing your coach in September/October seems to be en vogue. It was just delaying the inevitable November firing for most of the coaches on this thread. Chryst was the exception, but even Northwestern has gotten their fair share wins against them over the past 20 years.
    The early firing could also be deserved, especially if it's obvious the team won't be a winner. Or even improved.
    The coaches that have seen their backsides hit by the door, their season didn't start in September. It was way back in March when Spring ball got in gear. They had that practice season, and then the Summer block to get their team in shape and knowing the game plan. If it hasn't worked out by now, welp, seeeya.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Josh Conklin resigned as head coach of Wofford. They are 1-5 so far, after going 1-11 last season.

Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post
    I've wondered whether recruiting has changed the coaching change game. .
    Totally. NIL, portal, changed EVERYTHING....you will continue to see more mid season (and early season) firings as a result of this. It's already way up this season.

Now interesting to watch...will be how many of these "interim" coaches become permanent hires.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Totally. NIL, portal, changed EVERYTHING...you will continue to see more mid season (and early season) firings as a result of this. It's already way up this season.

Now interesting to watch...will be how many of these "interim" coaches become permanent hires.
    I suspect one of the most important factors may be the gigantic new TV contracts, with ultra lavish payouts. The Big 10 has hit the jackpot, plenty of opportunity for schools like Nebraska and Wisconsin to toss a current coach.

Colorado Buffs

My woeful Colorado Buffaloes are looking for a new coach.

Boulder is a great place to live but the community and the University don't place much importance on football. I think it is a difficult place for a coach to win at.

Bill McCartney was a unicorn, a master recruiter. Rick Neuheisel did well his first two years with McCartney's recruits. Gary Barnett didn't recruit very well but got the most out of his players (and self destructed with unfortunate comments about a female kicker who had been sexually assaulted). Mel Tucker did well for one season before taking the big bucks in East Lansing.

It really is a good school but they are going to have a hard time finding a coach who can turn the program around.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post

Boulder is a great place to live but the community and the University don't place much importance on football. I think it is a difficult place for a coach to win at.

Bill McCartney was a unicorn, a master recruiter. Rick Neuheisel did well his first two years with McCartney's recruits. Gary Barnett didn't recruit very well but got the most out of his players (and self destructed with unfortunate comments about a female kicker who had been sexually assaulted). Mel Tucker did well for one season before taking the big bucks in East Lansing.

It really is a good school but they are going to have a hard time finding a coach who can turn the program around.
    Former Duke coach and national Assistant Coach of the Year Mike Macintyre gave it a shot as well...I thought he'd succeed...

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post

Darrell was the OC at Vandy for a season. It was awful.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I suspect one of the most important factors may be the gigantic new TV contracts, with ultra lavish payouts. The Big 10 has hit the jackpot, plenty of opportunity for schools like Nebraska and Wisconsin to toss a current coach.
    The giant TV contracts are not new...just continuing to grow. NIL and portal are totally new situations....

https://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...losing-season/

Raise your hand if you floated the name Will Healy to succeed Coach Cutcliffe. Just me? I’ll have my crow with a side order of Texas Pete’s

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    https://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...losing-season/

Raise your hand if you floated the name Will Healy to succeed Coach Cutcliffe. Just me? I’ll have my crow with a side order of Texas Pete’s
    That says a lot about just how bad last year’s loss to Charlotte was.

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    That says a lot about just how bad last year’s loss to Charlotte was.
    That was my first thought when I saw this, and that they are 1-7 this season. Stinko.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    The giant TV contracts are not new...just continuing to grow. NIL and portal are totally new situations...
    https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...nt-fox-cbs-nbc

It's a bit more than that, as the linked article shows. The latest figures showed a payout of $54 million for Big Ten members, the latest non Covid year for which figures are available. The new contracts are expected to result in payouts in the $80-$100million range per school per year...as a result, teams in leagues like the SEC and Big 10 can be a lot more cavalier about ousting coaches and luring new ones with crazy high deals.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...nt-fox-cbs-nbc

It's a bit more than that, as the linked article shows. The latest figures showed a payout of $54 million for Big Ten members, the latest non Covid year for which figures are available. The new contracts are expected to result in payouts in the $80-$100million range per school per year...as a result, teams in leagues like the SEC and Big 10 can be a lot more cavalier about ousting coaches and luring new ones with crazy high deals.
    Has viewership increased that much? Do networks get a lot more money from advertisers these days than they used to? I'm just wondering the drivers that make this possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Has viewership increased that much? Do networks get a lot more money from advertisers these days than they used to? I'm just wondering the drivers that make this possible.
    I don't think raw viewers have increased that much. It's just that all the checks are massively larger across the board. My understanding is that it's all about how much money Direct TV or Spectrum (whoever) pays to get BigTen/ACC/SEC games, and then how much the viewer pays to get these packages.

I mean, sure, viewers may have increased, but it seems unlikely that "increased viewers" would explain a ten-fold increase in $$$.