Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

MLB Rules Changes

Major League Baseball passed a sweeping set of rules changes it hopes will fundamentally overhaul the game, voting Friday to implement a pitch clock and ban defensive shifts in 2023 to hasten the game's pace and increase action.

The league's competition committee, composed of six ownership-level representatives, four players and one umpire, approved a pitch clock of 15 seconds with empty bases and 20 seconds with runners on, a defensive alignment that must include two fielders on each side of the second-base bag with both feet on the dirt as well as rules limiting pick-off moves and expanding the size of bases.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...fensive-shifts

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    Major League Baseball passed a sweeping set of rules changes it hopes will fundamentally overhaul the game, voting Friday to implement a pitch clock and ban defensive shifts in 2023 to hasten the game's pace and increase action.

The league's competition committee, composed of six ownership-level representatives, four players and one umpire, approved a pitch clock of 15 seconds with empty bases and 20 seconds with runners on, a defensive alignment that must include two fielders on each side of the second-base bag with both feet on the dirt as well as rules limiting pick-off moves and expanding the size of bases.

Not sure what expanding the size of the bases is going to accomplish but thank God the shift is dead. That was killing so much of baseball’s action. Now what needs to happen is a limitation on the number of pitching changes each team can make in a game.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Now what needs to happen is a limitation on the number of pitching changes each team can make in a game.
    With the current rule that a relief pitcher must pitch to 3 batters minimum in the current inning (in place for a couple of years now, at least), along with the upcoming change to limit rosters to 13 pitchers, are you suggesting more needs to be done?

Increasing the base size increases player safety and stolen bases. Both of which would be a good thing.

Plus it should cut down on ridiculous reviews where there is an over slide by a finger tip.

I like the pitch clock but I don't think it will be enforced well unless someone goes way over - they really need to tighten up the rules on when it really starts. I like that this seems to apply to both pitchers and batters.

I generally am strongly against the big shifts so I think I like the shift move. Though there is a part of me that would prefer that players just learned to hit against the shifts, bunt, etc.

The pick off change doesn't do a lot for me. If a pitcher is out of pickoffs can the runner just basically start running really early since there is nothing the pitcher can do? Not clear on this.

Bigger base also doesn't do much. Just wish I had invested in a company that makes bases as I don't know if this will trickle down to other levels so the whole world will need to go out and buy new bases.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    I like the pitch clock but I don't think it will be enforced well unless someone goes way over - they really need to tighten up the rules on when it really starts. I like that this seems to apply to both pitchers and batters.

I generally am strongly against the big shifts so I think I like the shift move. Though there is a part of me that would prefer that players just learned to hit against the shifts, bunt, etc.

The pick off change doesn't do a lot for me. If a pitcher is out of pickoffs can the runner just basically start running really early since there is nothing the pitcher can do? Not clear on this.

Bigger base also doesn't do much. Just wish I had invested in a company that makes bases as I don't know if this will trickle down to other levels so the whole world will need to go out and buy new bases.
    The pitch clock will be enforced, because people will be watching to see if it is enforced. The thing is, the pitch clock has been in place in the minors for awhile, and pitchers getting the call to the big leagues are working faster because they are used to it. Eventually everybody will get used to it, and it's good for the game.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    It certainly gives the runner an advantage, but the pitcher can still throw over - he just better get him. The third throw over is either a successful pick-off or a balk. So a big lead is not without risk for a runner, but it's less risky than when there haven't already been two throws over. I would think pitchers will therefore be more stingy with even a 2nd throw over than they are now too, benefiting runners that little bit more.
    Demented and sad, but social, right?

I like the new rules as it should bring more action to the game. The pitch clock rule, number of pick off attempts and bigger bases should bring the stolen base back as an offensive weapon. I'm all for "Whitey Ball". The shift should mean more base runners and more runs. I noticed they included in the shift rule that a team cannot bring their best defender over to side of the infield that a hitter is more likely to hit to. In other words, you can't move your slick fielding shortstop over to the second base side of the infield when a left-handed hitter is at the plate and move your second baseman to the SS position. The league had already added the 3-batter minimum to relief pitchers in an attempt to speed up the game and bring more offense to the game. Next Spring Training is going to be interesting when coaching staffs and players work on the new rules.

I have no dog in this hunt because I don't even like baseball, but here is another thing I would change. Once the batter gets his third strike he should be out, regardless of whether the catcher gathers the ball or not. If it's 'three strikes you're out' then you should be out before the ball reaches the catcher's mitt, because you already whiffed the ball. How does what happens AFTER you have three strikes matter?

My other suggestion would likely be extremely unpopular and bordering on outrageous, but I think once you have two strikes, there should be a limit on how many times you can hit a foul ball. Maybe say that on the fifth or sixth foul you are out? I know it's probably sacrilege.

Anything that speeds up the game is welcome.

I’d get rid of reviews too, or limit them to 90 seconds. If you can’t see it’s wrong in that time, the play stands.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Anything that speeds up the game is welcome.

I’d get rid of reviews too, or limit them to 90 seconds. If you can’t see it’s wrong in that time, the play stands.
    I'm with getting rid of the reviews but I want to see automated balls and strikes. I think Stevie Wonder could do a better job than some of these umpires. I think the time clock on pitchers and batters and the number of pick off throws and step offs will help speed up the game. The pitchers 3 batter rule that was added 2 seasons ago has helped speed up the game as well. I don't mind a longer game if it's because of more offense.

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    I'm with getting rid of the reviews but I want to see automated balls and strikes. I think Stevie Wonder could do a better job than some of these umpires. I think the time clock on pitchers and batters and the number of pick off throws and step offs will help speed up the game. The pitchers 3 batter rule that was added 2 seasons ago has helped speed up the game as well. I don't mind a longer game if it's because of more offense.
    Tennis has done this to make line calls and it has actually gotten rid of a lot of the complaining. I assume the strike zone is able to be modified according to the batter by a computer fairly easily --- I assume they do it on the graphics they sometimes show, but maybe not. But baseball is full of traditionalists...

I personally would stop the ability of the team on defense to disable the opponent's offense by issuing a base on balls -- intentional or not. The fans come to the game to see the star hitters! How does one make sure they get to hit? Well, the team whose player is walked can turn it down. Well, then just walk him again. Well, the second time he gets second base, and the third time third base.

I mean, give me a break! The best offensive players in the NFL and NBA aren't disabled by "intentional walks." Oh, yeah -- hack-a-Shaq -- but a minor, minor feature of hoops.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I personally would stop the ability of the team on defense to disable the opponent's offense by issuing a base on balls -- intentional or not. The fans come to the game to see the star hitters! How does one make sure they get to hit? Well, the team whose player is walked can turn it down. Well, then just walk him again. Well, the second time he gets second base, and the third time third base.

I mean, give me a break! The best offensive players in the NFL and NBA aren't disabled by "intentional walks." Oh, yeah -- hack-a-Shaq -- but a minor, minor feature of hoops.
    Your idea sounds good, but teams would just go back to the old rule where the pitcher throws 4 balls way outside and then the hitter jogs to first base.

Your idea sounds good, but teams would just go back to the old rule where the pitcher throws 4 balls way outside and then the hitter jogs to first base.
    You may have missed the part in the middle where he gave options for countering this still (regardless of whether or not it was intentional):

Well, the team whose player is walked can turn it down. Well, then just walk him again. Well, the second time he gets second base, and the third time third base.
    A text without a context is a pretext.

There’s a story about Don Drysdale (IIRC). The catcher shot out the intentional walk sign, and Big D shook him off. The catcher flashed it again, and again Drysdale shook him off.

The catcher called time and went out to the mound.

“The manager wants you to walk this guy,” the catcher explained.

“Like Hell I will,” Drysdale responded. “I’ll drill the guy in the ribs instead.”

Next pitch, hit batsman.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    There’s a story about Don Drysdale (IIRC). The catcher shot out the intentional walk sign, and Big D shook him off. The catcher flashed it again, and again Drysdale shook him off.

The catcher called time and went out to the mound.

“The manager wants you to walk this guy,” the catcher explained.

“Like Hell I will,” Drysdale responded. “I’ll drill the guy in the ribs instead.”

Next pitch, hit batsman.
    That could have been Bob Gibson just as easy.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post

But why would the offensive team turn down a walk? That's a very advantageous thing to receive in just about any situation. Even the best hitters make outs almost 70% of the time. Taking a sure thing of getting onto first base with any forced runners also advancing would be the high percentage play just about every time.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    But why would the offensive team turn down a walk? That's a very advantageous thing to receive in just about any situation. Even the best hitters make outs almost 70% of the time. Taking a sure thing of getting onto first base with any forced runners also advancing would be the high percentage play just about every time.
    Why?

See: Judge, Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by acdevil View Post
    Why?

See: Judge, Aaron
    A great player, obviously, but he also makes an out almost 70% of the time.