Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: US Open 2022

US Open 2022

Guess someone needs to start this thread.

Guess who WON'T be playing?

https://www.wralsportsfan.com/unvacc...ates/20431982/

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post

He does know the rules, and he was never going to be allowed to play in New York. More interesting question to me is whether or not he will be allowed into Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post

Disappointing, but he's made his choice. Back when he wasn't allowed into Australia, I remember thinking Labor Day was a long way away and by then there probably wouldn't still be a vax requirement for entry into the States, but c'est la vie. I also figured his 3-year ban from Australia would be lifted once they dropped their vax requirement (which they did last month), so we'll see about that.
    Demented and sad, but social, right?

Quote Originally Posted by howardlander View Post
    He does know the rules, and he was never going to be allowed to play in New York. More interesting question to me is whether or not he will be allowed into Australia.
    Well, it's not that he's not allowed in New York and the USTA has no rules about it either. It's simply that he cannot enter the United States without a US passport if he's unvaccinated (unless he was COVID positive in the last 90 days). To me, it doesn't make much sense that Tennys Sandgren can participate and Novak cannot. I have a family member living in Europe for the last 30 years who is unvaccinated but has traveled to the US three times because he happens to also have a US passport.

Most in the tennis world, including Johnny Mac, think it's a bit ridiculous...https://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/tennis/article-mcenroe-says-djokovic-missing-us-open-over-covid-19-vaccine-status/

Yes "he knows the rules" but they are being selectively applied and based on what we know now, the vaccines aren't a huge determining factor in getting a COVID infection with the latest variants anyways. (Of course, they're still hugely beneficial in reducing severe disease and death. But as it relates to the "travel restrictions", barring unvaccinated non Americans from entering isn't doing much of anything to slow transmission which was the original goal). I'm sure Novak would be willing to submit to testing even.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Yes "he knows the rules" but they are being selectively applied and based on what we know now, the vaccines aren't a huge determining factor in getting a COVID infection with the latest variants anyways. (Of course, they're still hugely beneficial in reducing severe disease and death. But as it relates to the "travel restrictions", barring unvaccinated non Americans from entering isn't doing much of anything to slow transmission which was the original goal). I'm sure Novak would be willing to submit to testing even.
    No, that's not true at all. The requirement of a U.S. passport is part of the rule. The rule is selective. The application of it is not. You obviously think the rule itself is stupid, and I understand that argument. But your words imply some kind of corruption on the part of U.S. officials, and that is simply not the case.

Djokovic is ok to enter in 2020 and play
    Djokovic is ok to enter in 2021 and play
    Djokovic is not ok to enter in 2022 and play

Makes perfect sense.
    Last edited by pfrduke; 08-26-2022 at 12:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    No, that's not true at all. The requirement of a U.S. passport is part of the rule. The rule is selective. The application of it is not. You obviously think the rule itself is stupid, and I understand that argument. But your words imply some kind of corruption on the part of U.S. officials, and that is simply not the case.
    I'm not suggesting "corruption" of US officials. That's too strong of a word. I think I agree with your statement here: "The requirement of a U.S. passport is part of the rule. The rule is selective." yes, agreed. The rule itself is selective to allow US passport holders but not others. Of course that's the right of US officials to do it that way, but from a COVID reduction strategy perspective at this point, it makes little to no sense. It's an outdated mitigation strategy at this point that was trying to quell variants from entering the US from other countries (of course, US passport holders have done a fine job of that I'm sure).

In non-COVID related US Open news, there are several interesting possibilities in the Women's draw. If Serena wins her first round (opponent is ranked #80 in the world, so at this point in her career, I would postulate Serena winning is far from a certainty), she would likely play the #2 seed in the second round; if Sloan Stephens wins her first round, she would likely get #1 seed Iga Swiatek; and Naomi Osaka gets seeded American Danielle Collins in the first round.

I'm not suggesting "corruption" of US officials. That's too strong of a word. I think I agree with your statement here: "The requirement of a U.S. passport is part of the rule. The rule is selective." yes, agreed. The rule itself is selective to allow US passport holders but not others. Of course that's the right of US officials to do it that way, but from a COVID reduction strategy perspective at this point, it makes little to no sense. It's an outdated mitigation strategy at this point that was trying to quell variants from entering the US from other countries (of course, US passport holders have done a fine job of that I'm sure).
    The rule makes sense in that they are trying to minimize the risk as best they can. There is at least some evidence that vaccination helps reduce the spread. So reducing the number of unvaccinated people from entering the country makes sense.

I think they would prefer to ban ANY non-vaccinated person from entering the US. But you can't ban US citizens from entering their own country without at least them breaking a law (and it isn't against the law to be unvaccinated). So they can't keep all the unvaccinated people out. But it would make little sense to say "well, since we can't ban our own citizens from entering the country, screw it let's just let everybody do it!" That's somewhat like saying "well, we can't catch every drunk driver, let's just not try to catch any."

Is it the most efficient means of mitigation? No. But saying that it doesn't make any sense is a big overstatement.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    The rule makes sense in that they are trying to minimize the risk as best they can. There is at least some evidence that vaccination helps reduce the spread. So reducing the number of unvaccinated people from entering the country makes sense.

I think they would prefer to ban ANY non-vaccinated person from entering the US. But you can't ban US citizens from entering their own country without at least them breaking a law (and it isn't against the law to be unvaccinated). So they can't keep all the unvaccinated people out. But it would make little sense to say "well, since we can't ban our own citizens from entering the country, screw it let's just let everybody do it!" That's somewhat like saying "well, we can't catch every drunk driver, let's just not try to catch any."

Is it the most efficient means of mitigation? No. But saying that it doesn't make any sense is a big overstatement.
    Maybe. But seems like most countries have abandoned this rule. Even Australia which was really strict about COVID precautions for a long time. Djoker was allowed to play in England and France. I think it's a "message" rule rather than something that is actually impactful. I don't think the drunk driving analogy holds water in this case. But I'm okay with you disagreeing with me. It's all good. If the vaccine was still 95% effective, it might make more sense -- but then I'd suggest that those unvaccinated (even U.S. passport holders) should be required to test negative to enter the U.S., which they do not have to do. I'm very pro-vaccine, but find this rule outdated at this juncture as many countries clearly agree with me as they've removed this restriction from their official policies.

Maybe. But seems like most countries have abandoned this rule. Even Australia which was really strict about COVID precautions for a long time. Djoker was allowed to play in England and France. I think it's a "message" rule rather than something that is actually impactful. I don't think the drunk driving analogy holds water in this case. But I'm okay with you disagreeing with me. It's all good. If the vaccine was still 95% effective, it might make more sense -- but then I'd suggest that those unvaccinated (even U.S. passport holders) should be required to test negative to enter the U.S., which they do not have to do. I'm very pro-vaccine, but find this rule outdated at this juncture as many countries clearly agree with me as they've removed this restriction from their official policies.
    I was using the analogy less as a comparison in the actual effect, more in the conceptual effect. Conceptually, if you believe the bans help reduce the spread, then the point is identical.

One can disagree with the rule in general. But arguing that it is silly because it is being applied selectively holds no water with me. The US can’t prevent US citizens from returning to the US, it is kind of a core principle of the country. So they can only impose that restriction to noncitizens.

I also wouldn’t necessarily use the “but other countries are relaxing” argument. There is a lot of stuff feeding into a country’s decision to ban or not. Economic, social, and epidemiological considerations are at play. It may very well be true that a ban on unvaccinated international travel doesn’t help enough to matter. Or it may not be true.

But again, there is nothing questionable about the “selectivity” of the rule. They believe the unvaccinated ban helps, so they are banning all those they can ban.

In my mind, the US ban on unvaccinated visitors and Djokovic’s inability to participate in the Open are two separate issues. One could argue whether the ban is still necessary, but right now it is still the rule. Djokovic’s decision to not get vaccinated was one he made recognizing that it would affect his ability to play in some tournaments. He was actually fortunate that the rules changed in France and England in time for him to play. And while people can make their own decisions about their personal health, it’s my opinion that some (or many) of those who refused to get vaccinated were being selfish. Given that the rule is still in effect, I would have been very disappointed if Djokovic had been given an exemption. I probably also would have been disappointed if the ban had been lifted just in time for him to travel to the US, because I want the decision to be based on the assessment of the risk, and not because of pressure from fans or politicians. It is a shame he is not playing in the Open, but (IMO) he has only himself to blame.

I am heading to the Open on Tuesday, which will feature the players in the bottom half of the draw. I am hoping to see Nadal, but I would guess he will play in the night session, especially since on Monday Medvedev is scheduled to play in the afternoon. Since the #1 male is playing in the day session on Monday, I would think the Tuesday evening session would get the #2 male..

Quote Originally Posted by Tooold View Post
    I am heading to the Open on Tuesday, which will feature the players in the bottom half of the draw. I am hoping to see Nadal, but I would guess he will play in the night session, especially since on Monday Medvedev is scheduled to play in the afternoon. Since the #1 male is playing in the day session on Monday, I would think the Tuesday evening session would get the #2 male..

Have a great time.

I’m guessing/assuming you are going to the Tuesday day session? Looks like you will have Carlos Alcaraz then Venus on Arthur Ashe stadium court. And the evening is Nadal, as you predicted, followed by Danielle Collins and Naomi Osaka, which should be a great match.

Have fun. Look forward to reading your on the scene report. 😎

Canada still enforces the vaccine mandate. Unvaccinated MLB players can’t enter when their teams play Toronto.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Canada still enforces the vaccine mandate. Unvaccinated MLB players can’t enter when their teams play Toronto.
    I assume this would be a larger issue for hockey...given the number of teams in Canada. There's also a lot of eastern European players and those regions have had relatively low vaccine uptakes.

Edit: looks like there's only one player in the entire NHL who was unvaccinated by December 2021, and he didn't go to Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Wave Dukie View Post
    Have a great time.

I’m guessing/assuming you are going to the Tuesday day session? Looks like you will have Carlos Alcaraz then Venus on Arthur Ashe stadium court. And the evening is Nadal, as you predicted, followed by Danielle Collins and Naomi Osaka, which should be a great match.

Have fun. Look forward to reading your on the scene report. ��
    Yes. Going to day session tomorrow and I am very excited to see Alcaraz! I may stay late to watch Nadal on the big screen. There are also some great players on the outer courts. Swiatek on Armstrong, Dmitrov vs Stevie Johnson, tiafoe, Rublev…I will report back! It looks very crowded today.

Wonderful tributes to Serena last night. Hope the ride continues this week.

Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    Wonderful tributes to Serena last night. Hope the ride continues this week.
    Tough out tomorrow in #2 Kontaveit. Serena will have to play better than she did last night to get through that one. If she does make it, though, she could make a fairly deep run. I personally don't think she wins tomorrow, but I'll be rooting for her to power through.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    Tough out tomorrow in #2 Kontaveit. Serena will have to play better than she did last night to get through that one. If she does make it, though, she could make a fairly deep run. I personally don't think she wins tomorrow, but I'll be rooting for her to power through.
    I saw the blue, black and white striped flag and honestly didn't know what country it was. Who knew the #2 seed was from Estonia? I need to pay more attention. I'm sure Kontaveit isn't happy to have to play Serena in the second round either. Serena will certainly have the crowd on her side.