Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Johnny Rotten weighs in. (For the most part this is about some quotes he shared a couple months ago, but they are still pertinent today.)

“God bless the Queen. She’s put up with a lot,” he wrote in an op-ed for British publication The Times. “I’ve got no animosity against any one of the royal family. Never did. It’s the institution of it that bothers me and the assumption that I’m to pay for that. There’s where I draw the line. It’s like, ‘No, you’re not getting ski holidays on my tax.’”

With all of that in mind, it’s no surprise to see him respectfully, and slightly self-referentially, paying his respects on his website the morning after the Queen’s death was announced.

It simply says, “Rest in Peace Queen Elizabeth II.

“Send her victorious."
    220px-Sex_Pistols_-_God_Save_the_Queen.jpg
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Johnny Rotten weighs in. (For the most part this is about some quotes he shared a couple months ago, but they are still pertinent today.)

220px-Sex_Pistols_-_God_Save_the_Queen.jpg
    Nuanced and thoughtful statement.

I'll take Sir Paul McCartney's statement over anyone else's:

https://www.facebook.com/PaulMcCartney
    Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote. - George Jean Nathan

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    I'll take Sir Paul McCartney's statement over anyone else's:

https://www.facebook.com/PaulMcCartney
    That's great. Love the essay background story.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I've had my thoughts about the Monarchy (rich, entitled, etc.), but watching The Crown changed my views and I heartily recommend it. It's credited as being rooted in fact even if it's obviously not a documentary. It does an excellent job of showing how challenging that life really is, the circumstances she was thrust into, and her maturation as queen, not to mention the dysfunction that exists within the royal family and its role in British politics.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Stray Gator View Post
    I've always thought that the old adage, "Don't speak ill of the dead," was a wise admonition -- not because such post-mortem disparagement has any effect on the decedent (it obviously never does), or because it is likely to influence how others feel about the decedent (it rarely, if ever, does). Rather, except in cases of widely despised malefactors, it seems to me that such a gratuitous expression of scorn in the immediate aftermath of the subject's death does little more than reflect poorly on the judgment of those who feel compelled to disrupt what should be a brief period of respect to interpose their personal expressions of antipathy towards the departed. Stated another way, people are entitled to voice their feelings about the Queen; and others are free to agree or disagree on whether those feelings are fairly justified. But I think the most important and enduring impression left by the posting of those sentiments is not about the deceased, but about how the expression of those sentiments, in timing as well as content, reflects upon the person who posted them.
    Well stated, Stray. Not throwing shade at anyone in this thread (seriously, I'm not) - but I have been pretty disgusted with the "twitter mob" that has been blasting hateful stuff for the last day or so.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    https://twitter.com/davidmackau/stat...5rvaLlEwtVY0wg

She had a delightful sense of humor. The link is to a story about the Queen's encounter with some American hikers that didn't recognize her. I wonder if anyone ever found these hikers for a follow-up story.

RiP, Your Majesty.
    Thank you so much for sharing this. Great stuff that I'm passing on to others.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray Gator View Post
    I've always thought that the old adage, "Don't speak ill of the dead," was a wise admonition -- not because such post-mortem disparagement has any effect on the decedent (it obviously never does), or because it is likely to influence how others feel about the decedent (it rarely, if ever, does). Rather, except in cases of widely despised malefactors, it seems to me that such a gratuitous expression of scorn in the immediate aftermath of the subject's death does little more than reflect poorly on the judgment of those who feel compelled to disrupt what should be a brief period of respect to interpose their personal expressions of antipathy towards the departed. Stated another way, people are entitled to voice their feelings about the Queen; and others are free to agree or disagree on whether those feelings are fairly justified. But I think the most important and enduring impression left by the posting of those sentiments is not about the deceased, but about how the expression of those sentiments, in timing as well as content, reflects upon the person who posted them.

In the 1950s my English grandfather managed dining cars on trains in the U.S. and he had Elizabeth on a trip down to Washington...I still have the royal cuff links she gave him.

(Back in those days there was no Air Force One, so he often handled dining arrangements for Harry Truman traveling from DC to St. Louis and some other routes. Got some Winston Churchill swag from him as well)...