Page 25 of 38 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 NFL Season

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Most fun NFL game I've ever attended was in Dallas in Decmeber 1982 or so, got invited down by a school chum who turned out to be a young billionaire (rare in those days) and the scene in the Stadium CLub or whatever they called the venue for the high rollers was phenomenally entertaining. Margaritas the diameter of frisbees, and a chimpanzee in a Santa suit (seriously). Chat with Roger Staubach. Long chat at halftime up in Sky Box territory with a gaggle of models who had been imported for the occasion en masse for the benefit of a group of eligible bachelors...all very logical and transactional.
    I’m jealous of your memory.

Quote Originally Posted by AGDukesky View Post
    I actually thought SF was better but I think that weak schedule inflated those numbers. SF can get after it on defense but the Cowboys defense was more impressive yesterday. Dak just made his usually poor throws/decisions. On offense, SF is solid if they can run the ball but is the worst unit left in the playoffs.
    How was the Cowboys d more impressive? Maybe from a pass rushing standpoint. Cowboys had more turnovers, less yards, less first downs.

Quote Originally Posted by kshepinthehouse View Post
    How was the Cowboys d more impressive? Maybe from a pass rushing standpoint. Cowboys had more turnovers, less yards, less first downs.
    SF’s D was good but a lot of the Cowboys’ offensive issues were self-inflicted. Dax not seeing the field, forcing throws and missing open targets didn’t help. Plus bad play calling and critical decision making errors by the offensive coordinator.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Most fun NFL game I've ever attended was in Dallas in Decmeber 1982 or so, got invited down by a school chum who turned out to be a young billionaire (rare in those days) and the scene in the Stadium CLub or whatever they called the venue for the high rollers was phenomenally entertaining. Margaritas the diameter of frisbees, and a chimpanzee in a Santa suit (seriously). Chat with Roger Staubach. Long chat at halftime up in Sky Box territory with a gaggle of models who had been imported for the occasion en masse for the benefit of a group of eligible bachelors...all very logical and transactional.
    Roger Staubach, aka Captain America, is my all-time sports hero, along with the great Roger Federer. He was my inspiration for wearing #12 when I played QB in high school.

When I was a kid I attended a Cowboys spring training session in Thousand Oaks, California. In those days there was zero security. When practice was over you could just walk right up to the players and start talking to them. So of course I made a beeline for Roger before even considering anyone else. I had no idea what to say because I was only seven years old, but he was very friendly and welcoming and happily signed his autograph and gave me a wristband!

I also got the autographs of Tony Dorsett, Drew Pearson, Randy White, Harvey Martin, Charlie Waters, Cliff Harris, Too Tall Jones, Rayfield Wright, Golden Richards, and several others. What a happy memory, my gosh. 😍

Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    SF’s D was good but a lot of the Cowboys’ offensive issues were self-inflicted. Dax not seeing the field, forcing throws and missing open targets didn’t help. Plus bad play calling and critical decision making errors by the offensive coordinator.
    All true, unfortunately. But honestly, I think the Cowboys were going to win the game if Tony Pollard had not gotten hurt when the Boys were driving for the go-ahead score with under two minutes to go in the first half. Pollard had just made an 8-yard gain and gotten the ball to maybe the 49ers 25 when he was injured on a brutal tackle that ended up breaking his leg and giving him a high ankle sprain.

Without Pollard in the game San Francisco no longer had to worry about his lightning-quick bursts of speed and scary playmaking ability. Dallas does not have anyone who can come close to approximating what Pollard does. So San Francisco was able to stop worrying about stopping the run and focus almost entirely on the Dallas passing game — and you could see the results of that as the tenor of the game changed immediately. In fact, San Francisco had said before the game that their primary focus was on stopping Pollard. Well, with his injury that problem was instantly solved. 😞

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Roger Staubach, aka Captain America, is my all-time sports hero, along with the great Roger Federer. He was my inspiration for wearing #12 when I played QB in high school.

When I was a kid I attended a Cowboys spring training session in Thousand Oaks, California. In those days there was zero security. When practice was over you could just walk right up to the players and start talking to them. So of course I made a beeline for Roger before even considering anyone else. I had no idea what to say because I was only seven years old, but he was very friendly and welcoming and happily signed his autograph and gave me a wristband!

I also got the autographs of Tony Dorsett, Drew Pearson, Randy White, Harvey Martin, Charlie Waters, Cliff Harris, Too Tall Jones, Rayfield Wright, Golden Richards, and several others. What a happy memory, my gosh. 😍
    Staubach's son played baseball at Duke. He actually overlapped with Grant Hill for a year so there was a lot of early 70s Cowboys representation on campus at that time.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    I’m jealous of your memory.
    That one of Budwom's in particular, or just in general?
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Staubach's son played baseball at Duke. He actually overlapped with Grant Hill for a year so there was a lot of early 70s Cowboys representation on campus at that time.
    Wow, that’s pretty cool. Thanks for the info. 👍

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    That one of Budwom's in particular, or just in general?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post

Steven, your Cowboys post reminds me of Hank Hill.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post

Love me some Hank Hill! Used to watch that show religiously. I was especially fond of Hank’s love of the Texas Longhorns and Dallas Cowboys.

https://kingofthehill.fandom.com/wik...ells_of_Excess

Here’s a scene with Dandy Don Meredith, former Cowboys legend.

https://youtu.be/Co8Wi0pcwt0

Your yearly NFL prayer, Steven?

Your yearly NFL prayer, Steven?

Am I really that transparent?? Apparently so. 😞

Hey man, the 90’s are coming back any year now! You’ll see. 😜

Let go mah purse!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Let go mah purse!!!
    The absolute best KOTH ever.

Impressive opening drive.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    Impressive opening drive.
    Yeah. They’ve been ballsy with 4th downs all year. Miners should have challenged.

Yeah. They’ve been ballsy with 4th downs all year. Miners should have challenged.
    Yep. Bad miss not to by them.

Game over

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Game over
    Looks like it.