Page 8 of 38 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 NFL Season

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    I’m almost scared to say it. Is the NFC East good this year?
    Not sure any team in that division has a victory over a likely playoff team. Maybe the one pointer on opening day that the Giants had over the Titans, if one would even consider the Titans a likely playoff team. Other than that, who have any of these teams beaten? Minnesota? Meh. Cincinnati has been OK this year. Nobody really solid. Let's see how they do against serious teams before making this judgment.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Not sure any team in that division has a victory over a likely playoff team. Maybe the one pointer on opening day that the Giants had over the Titans, if one would even consider the Titans a likely playoff team. Other than that, who have any of these teams beaten? Minnesota? Meh. Cincinnati has been OK this year. Nobody really solid. Let's see how they do against serious teams before making this judgment.
    Ok, phew, thanks for walking me back from the ledge!

Apologies if this has already been posted. But, uh oh…… 😮

https://www.palmbeachpost.com/story/...oa/8114280001/

Tom and Gisele

https://www.cnn.com/2022/10/04/enter...eys/index.html

Tom seems to be taking a page from former Duke coach Mike McGee's playbook...to paraphrase him (originally regarding kickers) wives are like trolley cars, if you miss one another comes along in ten minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Can't imagine why Rivera agreed to hook his wagon to that entity.
    The same reason everyone else is there - lack of better options. But as soon as one comes along, any talented people will bolt. I think there are 5 current head coaches (Kyle Shanahan, Sean McVay, Matt Lafleur, Mike McDaniel, Kevin O'Connell) who have escaped Snyder's cesspool.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post

Tom seems to be taking a page from former Duke coach Mike McGee's playbook...to paraphrase him (originally regarding kickers) wives are like trolley cars, if you miss one another comes along in ten minutes.
    Well, yeah, if you're Tom Brady they do...but what if you're closer to a troll who lives under a bridge?

Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post
    The same reason everyone else is there - lack of better options. But as soon as one comes along, any talented people will bolt. I think there are 5 current head coaches (Kyle Shanahan, Sean McVay, Matt Lafleur, Mike McDaniel, Kevin O'Connell) who have escaped Snyder's cesspool.
    Exactly! I see people all the time saying we should fire Ron. They don't really know what to say when I respond that if we fire Ron we won't be able to hire anyone better because nobody worth anything is going to come here as long as Dan is running a cesspool. The only time I feel any real hope is when I hear that the other owners might force him to sell (say Hi to Don Sterling Danny).

I bet Pete Davidson is pretty excited right about now.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post

Another one like this?

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    Exactly! I see people all the time saying we should fire Ron. They don't really know what to say when I respond that if we fire Ron we won't be able to hire anyone better because nobody worth anything is going to come here as long as Dan is running a cesspool. The only time I feel any real hope is when I hear that the other owners might force him to sell (say Hi to Don Sterling Danny).
    Agree. Ron is the least of our problems.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    I bet Pete Davidson is pretty excited right about now.
    Haha very good.

I am a HUGE fan of Russell Wilson. He has had a GREAT (and probably HOF) career. But when Denver got him I initially thought: "Oh. What year? If they are getting 2016 Russell Wilson then this is a great signing." I feel vindicated.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    I am a HUGE fan of Russell Wilson. He has had a GREAT (and probably HOF) career. But when Denver got him I initially thought: "Oh. What year? If they are getting 2016 Russell Wilson then this is a great signing." I feel vindicated.
    That game was absolutely painful to watch. But as it stayed close I kept it on. I have a lot of respect for what Wilson has achieved as a player but I am generally not a fan of his so I am not sad to see what has been happening.

It was great to see Deon Jackson contributing and I always have a soft spot for Ivy League guys so it was good to see the Yale defensive back on the Colts as well.

As a Seahawks fan who was very sad to see him go, I also feel vindicated. It was a smart decision by my Seahawks. In fact, they made three good decisions this off-season:

- Not paying Russell getting good value in return
    - Not getting Deshawn Watson and all the accompanying baggage and bad mojo
    - Not making a play for Baker

Turns out, Geno is playing really really well. He isn't being asked to do my much, but he is excelling when needed. By almost any metric he is outplaying Wilson (by far!). Our team isn't very good and would be a surprise to make the playoffs, but it isn't due to QB play.

Great article looking at how defenses have answered the air raid style offenses of today by going to Cover 2 (2 deep safeties) on early downs to take away the big play. It's almost like selling out to stop 3s in basketball at the risk of giving up 2s, because 2s are waaaaay less efficient. You can give up running yards and short passes because they are less efficient.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2022/1...backs-run-game

I wouldn't say with certainty, yet. that Wilson is washed up at age 34. But he might be. Just doesn't have the same zip, either with arm or his legs. Denver is obviously not getting the kind of bounce into AFC relevance they thought they were getting with this trade.

Is the NFC East the best division in the NFL this year sans the Commanders?

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    Is the NFC East the best division in the NFL this year sans the Commanders?
    Just like everyone predicted?

Not sure if folks saw it, but the Falcons got jobbed by the refs in a really bad way on Sunday against the Bucs.

After looking utterly inept and dead in the water for the first three quarters, the Falcons suddenly remembered how to play football and were in the midst of an incredible comeback. They had scored 15 unanswered points in the 4th (including going for 2) to put them only down 6 points with about 4 1/2 minutes left in the game. All the D had to do was hold Tom Brady and Tampa to give the ball back to a Falcons offense that was clicking.

So, with a little more than 3 minutes left and Tampa facing a 3rd and 4, the Falcons appear to have forced an incomplete pass... but the refs threw a flag for defensive holding. The announcers watched the replay and were a bit surprised. There really didn't seem to be any holding on the play but maybe something happened they could not see.

Anyway, the Falcons then forced Tampa and Brady into another 3rd down. This time, Brady was sacked by All-Pro Grady Jarrett. Jarrett was twisting a bit as he grabbed Brady around the waist as they fell to the ground. Again, the flag came out and the refs called a roughing the passer penalty, effectively giving the game to Tampa (the penalties had put the Bucs in field goal range, though they eventually just ran out the clock).

The announcers were shocked at the call. They basically said there was no safer way to sack Brady in that situation. NFL Twitter was a wee bit outraged: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...tom-brady-bucs

I'm very impressed with Arthur Smith, the Falcon's coach. I would have walked into the post-game press conference with my checkbook and said, "I'm gonna say some stuff that is gonna get me fined..." and then proceeded to use four-letter words for about ten minutes.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Not sure if folks saw it, but the Falcons got jobbed by the refs in a really bad way on Sunday against the Bucs.

After looking utterly inept and dead in the water for the first three quarters, the Falcons suddenly remembered how to play football and were in the midst of an incredible comeback. They had scored 15 unanswered points in the 4th (including going for 2) to put them only down 6 points with about 4 1/2 minutes left in the game. All the D had to do was hold Tom Brady and Tampa to give the ball back to a Falcons offense that was clicking.

So, with a little more than 3 minutes left and Tampa facing a 3rd and 4, the Falcons appear to have forced an incomplete pass... but the refs threw a flag for defensive holding. The announcers watched the replay and were a bit surprised. There really didn't seem to be any holding on the play but maybe something happened they could not see.

Anyway, the Falcons then forced Tampa and Brady into another 3rd down. This time, Brady was sacked by All-Pro Grady Jarrett. Jarrett was twisting a bit as he grabbed Brady around the waist as they fell to the ground. Again, the flag came out and the refs called a roughing the passer penalty, effectively giving the game to Tampa (the penalties had put the Bucs in field goal range, though they eventually just ran out the clock).

The announcers were shocked at the call. They basically said there was no safer way to sack Brady in that situation. NFL Twitter was a wee bit outraged: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...tom-brady-bucs

I'm very impressed with Arthur Smith, the Falcon's coach. I would have walked into the post-game press conference with my checkbook and said, "I'm gonna say some stuff that is gonna get me fined..." and then proceeded to use four-letter words for about ten minutes.
    As bad as that roughing the passer call was (and it was awful) the one against KC last night was even worse. Luckily KC was able to pull off a miracle comeback and overcome the massive momentum and points swing the refs gifted LV, and went on to win by 1. Still the botched call kept KC from covering and ended up costing me and thousands of KC bettors lots of $’s.