Page 33 of 38 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 NFL Season

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    And the GOAT has now officially, and finally, retired. The end of an era.
    [obligatory] How deflating. [/obligatory]

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    [obligatory] How deflating. [/obligatory]
    Et tu, Brute?

Brady in the booth

Anyone else wonder what the Fox people will get out of Brady as an analyst for a reported $37 million/year? A great players does not necessarily make a great analyst, and I think this will end up being a very dubious move. People pay to watch Brady play, not talk...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Anyone else wonder what the Fox people will get out of Brady as an analyst for a reported $37 million/year? A great players does not necessarily make a great analyst, and I think this will end up being a very dubious move. People pay to watch Brady play, not talk...
    I think Brady will be fine in the role but agree the draw won’t be there. I can see people tuning in initially just to see if it is a trainwreck or not- so maybe that could bring in some new eyeballs. Personally, I don’t pay attention to which channel I’m watching as much as look at show titles in the guide. I could not tell you which guys are on which channel.

Quote Originally Posted by AGDukesky View Post
    I think Brady will be fine in the role but agree the draw won’t be there. I can see people tuning in initially just to see if it is a trainwreck or not- so maybe that could bring in some new eyeballs. Personally, I don’t pay attention to which channel I’m watching as much as look at show titles in the guide. I could not tell you which guys are on which channel.
    I'm the same way, and often use the mute button. I'm just skeptical of how much value Fox will get out of this ridiculously expensive move. Brady has never struck me as being articulate.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    I’m honestly kind of shocked. I thought for sure Brady would go to a new team — perhaps, Miami — and play for two more seasons..

Fox Sports is broadcasting the Super Bowl this year and Brady has already signed for $375 million to be their lead NFL analyst as soon as he retires. I wonder if he’s going to begin that job immediately?
    I don't understand who wants this.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I don't understand who wants this.
    Having Brady be on the mic is a negative for me. I will be less likely to leave a game on if he's blabbering. GOAT QB, respect what he's done on the field (and understand how much help he had) but I don't want to listen to him (I'll leave the name calling out). There's also the aspect that I'm Brady'd out and have been for years. Not his fault that he's been over covered by the media (ESPN) but it's there. It would be great if he took the silent retirement route where people wonder if he became a recluse or something.

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    Having Brady be on the mic is a negative for me. I will be less likely to leave a game on if he's blabbering. GOAT QB, respect what he's done on the field (and understand how much help he had) but I don't want to listen to him (I'll leave the name calling out). There's also the aspect that I'm Brady'd out and have been for years. Not his fault that he's been over covered by the media (ESPN) but it's there. It would be great if he took the silent retirement route where people wonder if he became a recluse or something.
    Honestly, I feel like Fox/ESPN/etc. are tapping the star player-> media personality pipeline way too hard. Very few of my favorite sports media folks over the years have been former star athletes (of course some of them have also been very good, not saying I'm universally opposed) but it feels like that is all we get anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    I’m just waiting for monotone Aaron Rodgers to join the booth

Beats me. Gronk was on the Fox halftime panel last week. I wasn't paying very close attention, but it seemed he didn't say a word, just nodded at what others said. I hope for $37m, Tom might have something to say.

Greg Olsen has been tremendous in the booth in my opinion. Sad it looks like Brady is going to take his place.

Quote Originally Posted by kshepinthehouse View Post
    Greg Olsen has been tremendous in the booth in my opinion. Sad it looks like Brady is going to take his place.
    And how likely is it that Brady will do a better job? I don't expect Brady to last ten years in that role...

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Beats me. Gronk was on the Fox halftime panel last week. I wasn't paying very close attention, but it seemed he didn't say a word, just nodded at what others said. I hope for $37m, Tom might have something to say.
    To be fair, I am not sure he knows very many words.

And how likely is it that Brady will do a better job? I don't expect Brady to last ten years in that role...
    Doesn’t he have a $375 million contract?

Quote Originally Posted by kshepinthehouse View Post
    Doesn’t he have a $375 million contract?
    he does, but that doesn't mean he'll have ten years worth of interest in the job. He may not like it at all, for that matter. All that contract is likely to do is prevent him from announcing for another network...I just don't see him as a booth kind of guy at all.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    I'll say it. I like Gronk. He's a total goofball. A ridiculous athlete. He seems like someone I probably should despise, but I can't make myself do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I'll say it. I like Gronk. He's a total goofball. A ridiculous athlete. He seems like someone I probably should despise, but I can't make myself do it.
    I’m right there with you. He’s like a big, dopey dog that just wants to have fun and doesn’t hurt anyone.

I’ll put the over-under on Brady’s booth performance level as “Trent Dilfer.”

Now I need to figure whether I’m taking the over or the under.

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    I’ll put the over-under on Brady’s booth performance level as “Trent Dilfer.”

Now I need to figure whether I’m taking the over or the under.
    sounds about right. I see this experiment lasting 2-3 years tops, if that.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    Tom Brady is actually a really smart, thoughtful, articulate guy with a surprisingly good sense of humor. I think he has the potential to be great at commentating.

The reason he comes across as safe and monotone during his press conferences is because unlike Aaron Rodgers he is smart and savvy enough to know how to play it, and to protect his team and his teammates and his brand. But he won’t need to do that anymore now that he is no longer part of a football team.