Thread: Beaufort, NC

Beaufort, NC

The wife and I are spending a week in Beaufort NC starting Saturday. We have an eye towards that town as a possible relocation. We've spent two long weekends there, but wanted to get a better sense of the area.

Any hot local tips? We are pretty familiar with the waterfront and all the restaurants and bars. Inside information is greatly appreciated. Best seafood markets? Beach access points? Boat tours?

We love the park over on the oceanside with the fort. Very nice.

Thanks in advance! We are desperately in need of this trip.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    The wife and I are spending a week in Beaufort NC starting Saturday. We have an eye towards that town as a possible relocation. We've spent two long weekends there, but wanted to get a better sense of the area.

Any hot local tips? We are pretty familiar with the waterfront and all the restaurants and bars. Inside information is greatly appreciated. Best seafood markets? Beach access points? Boat tours?

We love the park over on the oceanside with the fort. Very nice.

Thanks in advance! We are desperately in need of this trip.
    Wave as you drive through New Bern. Good choice to go now and not the major holiday weekend of Labor Day. I don't know when it was that you last visited, but you'll notice that it's getting easier to get to, as 70 is being slowly transformed into an interstate. The bypass around Havelock will be open some time next year supposedly, and the conversion through James City (the collection of annoying stoplights on the other side of the New Bern bridges) is under way.
    Of course Beaufort itself isn't on "the beach", but my favorite beach access is at Fort Macon since it tends to be less crowded than the ones at Atlantic Beach, plus more parking and it's free. The best "boat tour" is driving down to Cedar Island (which I call "the end of the world") and getting on the ferry to Ocracoke. That can be a great day trip, and walking on or taking only your bikes is either free or dirt cheap.

We are actually going down to Atlantic Beach Saturday night, since it's a full moon. We enjoy being able to watch the sun go down on one end of the island, and the moon come up on the other.
    Have a great week, it looks like the weather is going to be in your favor.

And hey! You can stop in to Durham on your way home and catch the Duke - A&T Football game/tailgate!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I lived in Beaufort for ten years and just moved away a year ago, still go back all the time (just went for Labor Day weekend). It's a serene and beautiful place with abundant outdoor activities. It really just depends on what you like to do. If you like boating/fishing, that's huge this time of year (flounder season is only open for one month, and now's the month!). You can also fish from a dock or pier if you get sea sick and have an enjoyable experience. If you like to boat/sightsee, you could take one of several ferry services out to Shackleford Banks (home of the wild Spanish mustangs), or to Cape Lookout (beautiful protected national seashore). There's also a sailboat tour company that does sunset cruises out to Cape Lookout. This leaves from Front Street. We enjoy paddle boarding and kayaking in Taylor's creek, right there on the waterfront and over to Carrot Island (more wild horses). I've heard great things about Crystal Coast Ecotours, more of a private experience with some locals that will take you around the area by boat. Beaufort Grocery is the best food in Beaufort hands down, but several others are really good.
    You mentioned the beach and fort area... you must be thinking of Fort Macon-just remember this is not part of Beaufort and will require driving over two bridges to get there. Carteret County is partially along the ocean (Fort Macon, Atlantic Beach, Pine Knoll Shores, Emerald Isle), and partially on the sound and inland tidal water areas (Beaufort, Morehead City, and all the Downeast communties such as Harker's Island). They're all beautiful, but unique. You should try to check out several areas while you're there.

As far as relocating, there's a significant difference in visiting Beaufort vs living in Beaufort. I've lived in Asheville, and it's VERY different than Beaufort in many ways. I prefer visiting Beaufort over living there. If you'd like to know more about that, DM me. In the meantime, have a safe, wonderful trip!

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by dukebluesincebirth View Post
    As far as relocating, there's a significant difference in visiting Beaufort vs living in Beaufort. I've lived in Asheville, and it's VERY different than Beaufort in many ways. I prefer visiting Beaufort over living there. If you'd like to know more about that, DM me. In the meantime, have a safe, wonderful trip!
    I'd vote for moving to New Bern. I love living here, and it makes for visiting the beach towns convenient. (And it's only 2 hours from Duke as opposed to 3. )
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Thanks for the thoughtful responses. It's almost assured that we will do a day trip to Ocracoke - it's our favorite on the planet.

And yes, Fort Macon is the only beach access we've really investigated in that direction. It's quite nice, and easy to find some more remote areas. Crowded beaches don't hold much appeal to us, to be honest.

Thanks for the thoughtful responses. It's almost assured that we will do a day trip to Ocracoke - it's our favorite on the planet.

And yes, Fort Macon is the only beach access we've really investigated in that direction. It's quite nice, and easy to find some more remote areas. Crowded beaches don't hold much appeal to us, to be honest.

New Bern has always been recommended highly. How loud are the jets? Not meaning to be picky - my wife has extremely sensitive ear problems, and I don't want to put ourselves in position for an unpleasant day

T
    You might also consider a day trip out to Bear Island, if you've never done that before.

Quote Originally Posted by Nepos View Post
    You might also consider a day trip out to Bear Island, if you've never done that before.
    I haven't! I'll definitely check it out.

New Bern has always been recommended highly. How loud are the jets? Not meaning to be picky - my wife has extremely sensitive ear problems, and I don't want to put ourselves in position for an unpleasant day
    You don't hear the jets here, those are in Havelock at Cherry Point, which is 15 minutes down the road. Once in a blue moon, there is a squadron that runs drills using the New Bern air port, but it's so infrequent that it's not worth mentioning.
    The most air traffic that I'm witness to are the occasional helicopters bringing patients to the hospital which is a mile from our house.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    You don't hear the jets here, those are in Havelock at Cherry Point, which is 15 minutes down the road. Once in a blue moon, there is a squadron that runs drills using the New Bern air port, but it's so infrequent that it's not worth mentioning.
    The most air traffic that I'm witness to are the occasional helicopters bringing patients to the hospital which is a mile from our house.
    Thanks! That's very reassuring.

Checking in to see how your week's going. We drove down Saturday to Atlantic Beach the watch the sunset and the full moon rise, but the weather laughed at us as it rained.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Checking in to see how your week's going. We drove down Saturday to Atlantic Beach the watch the sunset and the full moon rise, but the weather laughed at us as it rained.
    Got rearended about an hour ago. I've had better vacations.

Got rearended about an hour ago. I've had better vacations.
    Ugh, that sucks. Irony, never before in my life have I ever been pulled over for "following too close", until I lived in Morehead City. The cops there use it as a constant excuse, even though the cars in front of me were always well past the 2 car length suggested cushion.
    I got pulled over three times using that as an excuse (which finally prompted me to buy a dash came in case one ever turned in more than a warning*). I learned from a law office client of mine that it was not just me, it was prevalent.

I began to joke that the "Welcome to Morehead City" sign should be amended with "and pull over".
    So you got hit by someone that was actually too close to you, sigh.

*Warning = excuse to pull a driver over and see what else they can get you for.

Nephew was pulled over in Dunn and ticketed for not wearing a seat belt. Next day, same cop pulled him over again, another ticket for seat belt. Cop asked nephew if he learned his lesson. Nephew told him that yes, he learned not to drive through Dunn anymore.

Wife is getting xrays.

Wife is getting xrays.
    I hope she's OK, and that the accident didn't do any real damage.

Wife is getting xrays.
    Oh wow, vibes your way. wizard.gif

No broken bones. Vehicle driveable for short distances. Will need a better assessment before driving 400 miles home this coming weekend. Bummer of a vacation scenario!

No broken bones. Vehicle driveable for short distances. Will need a better assessment before driving 400 miles home this coming weekend. Bummer of a vacation scenario!
    That truly sucks! Eat some good seafood tonight!

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    That truly sucks! Eat some good seafood tonight!
    Leftover pizza is doing the trick today.