Page 8 of 29 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    Looks like GT may be getting ready to fire Collins.
    https://www.ajc.com/sports/georgia-t...=snd-autopilot
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Brutal. The combination of Location and Academic Scope spells doom. Tech is surrounded by FB powerhouses and their academic programs are too similar to the service academies. The limited success & visibility of GTs other sports does not help either.

Quote Originally Posted by Ima Facultiwyfe View Post
    So I just watched Riley Leonard's Kansas post game interview. One thing's for sure. We've never had a cuter QB!!!! Bet he's broken some hearts already and will break a a few more I imagine. Bless his heart..
    Love, Ima
    This kind of stuff is outside my purview.

Quote Originally Posted by SamHouston View Post
    Brutal. The combination of Location and Academic Scope spells doom. Tech is surrounded by FB powerhouses and their academic programs are too similar to the service academies. The limited success & visibility of GTs other sports does not help either.
    They switched from an option running attack to a more traditional passing attack. Meaning that all their talent became useless during the switchover.

Given the new transfer rules, programs who aren't superpowers have to know that they will lose essentially all of their top talent in a coaching turnover.

You know, Georgia Tech actually won a football national title in 1990. They won their ACC division 5 times in an 8 year span between 2006 and 2014. The program has been a winner under the very circumstances that seem so daunting today. They can get there again, but need the right coach to bring in the recruits and get the fan base charged up.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    You know, Georgia Tech actually won a football national title in 1990. .
    They did, but that was the result of bizarre results nationwide....

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    They did, but that was the result of bizarre results nationwide...
    Still a more legit result than hanging a Helms banner.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Still a more legit result than hanging a Helms banner.
    Speaking of, I noticed that the AP poll is still giving UNC 9 votes after their loss to Notre Dame. (Meanwhile, Notre Dame has no votes.)

So I went to College Poll Tracker, where they break down the poll results by team and by voter. There's one guy, Tom Murphy of the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette, who still has the Heels ranked 17th. In UNC's vote distribution, everyone else has them unranked.

This is probably an oversight -- Murphy had them ranked 17th last week as well. But out of curiosity I checked the distribution for Arkansas, and lo and behold, Joe Giglio of Raleigh's 99.9 FM has them ranked higher than any other voter. It's not as egregious (Arkansas is collectively ranked #20 and he has them at #13), but still very curious.

One more thing. Last week, exactly one other voter joined Tom Murphy in ranking UNC #17: Joe Giglio. Is this how they met? Did they agree to rig votes for each other, in order to cross-promote the local teams?

It's the perfect low-stakes meaningless crime!

Georgia Tech has majors that the Academies don't have. Their athletes tend to concentrate in just a few majors - and not engineering.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Speaking of, I noticed that the AP poll is still giving UNC 9 votes after their loss to Notre Dame. (Meanwhile, Notre Dame has no votes.)

So I went to College Poll Tracker, where they break down the poll results by team and by voter. There's one guy, Tom Murphy of the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette, who still has the Heels ranked 17th. In UNC's vote distribution, everyone else has them unranked.

This is probably an oversight -- Murphy had them ranked 17th last week as well. But out of curiosity I checked the distribution for Arkansas, and lo and behold, Joe Giglio of Raleigh's 99.9 FM has them ranked higher than any other voter. It's not as egregious (Arkansas is collectively ranked #20 and he has them at #13), but still very curious.

One more thing. Last week, exactly one other voter joined Tom Murphy in ranking UNC #17: Joe Giglio. Is this how they met? Did they agree to rig votes for each other, in order to cross-promote the local teams?

It's the perfect low-stakes meaningless crime!

Doesn’t surprise me and yes, I’m fairly certain Giglio and his bud have rigged their votes. Giglio is a local state-supported school homer and this method of rigging is a show of his support. IMHO, very sad that these types are allowed to vote.

If you can't recruit athletes to Atlanta, then the problem might be you, not the city.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddylawman View Post
    Georgia Tech has majors that the Academies don't have. Their athletes tend to concentrate in just a few majors - and not engineering.
    Bingo. Basically, everyone on Georgia Tech's football team majors in Business Administration. On another note, I went through their roster and noticed a couple other things (not unique to Georgia Tech):
    • Guys are OLD, man oh man. Tons of grad students. Reminds me of this article in the WSJ I just read: https://www.wsj.com/articles/college...ge-11663856768 "The Rise of the 32-Year-Old College Football Player—Yes, College
      College football careers are being stretched from four or five years to as many as eight; ‘I’ve been here since it feels like 1920’"
    • Tons of transfers

Quote Originally Posted by HoKogan View Post
    If you can't recruit athletes to Atlanta, then the problem might be you, not the city.
    When you're directly competing against Athens (arguably a better college town) and SEC powerhouse Georgia? I don't think it has to do with the city, but GaTech is definitely swimming upstream when it tries to compete for football recruits against its regional [SEC] peers (and it ain't just Georgia they have to compete against for them).

Quote Originally Posted by Papa John View Post
    When you're directly competing against Athens (arguably a better college town) and SEC powerhouse Georgia? I don't think it has to do with the city, but GaTech is definitely swimming upstream when it tries to compete for football recruits against its regional [SEC] peers (and it ain't just Georgia they have to compete against for them).
    Is Chapel Hill a better "college town" than Raleigh? I guess but NCST has had the more consistent football program over the years.

Competing against UGA and other SEC teams, sure thats an issue, but that applicable to really any power 5 team in the south. National power recruiting reaches tend to reach regionally and nationwide. However, Atlanta is an asset to GT, not an impediment. Its a center for black culture and arguably the largest population center in the south. There are a lot of kids that would probably prefer to play football for in ATL than Athens. Collins actually recruited good talent to GT, but a lot of them transferred away after they realized he can't coach.
    So yeah, if you can't recruit football players to Atlanta, the problem is probably you.

Quote Originally Posted by HoKogan View Post
    Is Chapel Hill a better "college town" than Raleigh? I guess but NCST has had the more consistent football program over the years.

Competing against UGA and other SEC teams, sure thats an issue, but that applicable to really any power 5 team in the south. National power recruiting reaches tend to reach regionally and nationwide. However, Atlanta is an asset to GT, not an impediment. Its a center for black culture and arguably the largest population center in the south. There are a lot of kids that would probably prefer to play football for in ATL than Athens. Collins actually recruited good talent to GT, but a lot of them transferred away after they realized he can't coach.
    So yeah, if you can't recruit football players to Atlanta, the problem is probably you.
    Yeah, like I said: "I don't think it has to do with the city." Atlanta is a wonderful city, but it ain't drawing football recruits to GaTech.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa John View Post
    Yeah, like I said: "I don't think it has to do with the city." Atlanta is a wonderful city, but it ain't drawing football recruits to GaTech.
    Maybe GT needs to adopt the Louisville basketball method of recruiting. There’s probably more “talent” in Atlanta, located just a few blocks away from the campus.

It seems to me that GT had some really good teams when they ran the option offense. Didn't they get a head coach from the Naval Academy? He was a good coach, they also had a decent defense. Not going to win national championships these days, but were competitive, and fun to watch. Even today, with the right coach, GT could recruit some slightly smaller, really fast players who, not only could win a lot of games, but might also major in engineerings,

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    They did, but that was the result of bizarre results nationwide...
    Bobby Ross was a really good football coach.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Northwestern looking to tear down Ryan Field and rebuild it from the ground up. (Similar to what Stanford did a while back.)

https://www.chicagotribune.com/busin...ksq-story.html

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    Northwestern looking to tear down Ryan Field and rebuild it from the ground up. (Similar to what Stanford did a while back.)

https://www.chicagotribune.com/busin...ksq-story.html
    The notable piece is that they're reducing capacity by 12,000 to 35,000. And including a "canopy" to make it feel more intimate and increase the noise levels. Smart moves for Northwestern. The Ryans have an endless supply of money to give Northwestern it appears...I wonder where they'll play during construction. The basketball stadium was redone recently and they played in a western suburb 45 minutes away (Allstate Arena)... soldier field is going to be looking for a tenant soon, ha! (But going to take the Bears still several years before building their new facility...)