Remembering today, Sept 2nd, 1945

A brief reminder that today, Sept 2nd, marks the 77th anniversary of the official end of WWII, with the Japanese signing the surrender documents on the deck of the USS Missouri.

Thank you, “Greatest Generation”.

Thanks for posting. My dad was on a destroyer (USS Ross) patrolling the harbor during the signing. Because some Japanese subs might be in the area and not know the war was over. It was 2 days before his birthday.

The USS Ross was the only destroyer in the war to survive 2 mine explosions.

Just read the new book Nimitz at War which is a thorough look at most of the war in the Pacific. Incomprehensible numbers of ships and planes were made. At the peace signing I believe 1400 American bombers flew overhead. That’s a lot

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Just read the new book Nimitz at War which is a thorough look at most of the war in the Pacific. Incomprehensible numbers of ships and planes were made. At the peace signing I believe 1400 American bombers flew overhead. That’s a lot
    Correction. 400 B-29s plus 1500 carrier planes and 250 warships. Hard to imagine

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Correction. 400 B-29s plus 1500 carrier planes and 250 warships. Hard to imagine
    Yep, makes you wonder if it was good idea to bomb Pearl Harbor.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    Yep, makes you wonder if it was good idea to bomb Pearl Harbor.
    Lots of Japanese (not covered in this book) knew if was a bad idea, hoped we'd take the "wrist slap" and back off in Asia. Bad bet. Back when the U.S. still had a gargantuan manufacturing base, the sheer amount of stuff made during the war was absolutely mindboggling. 300,000 planes were made and almost 7,000 ships (most were cargo ships, but lots of stuff with guns, too).