Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    After watching the outstanding Duke video on the incredible technology and staff supporting the team, I can only hope that Dariq's injury was not a result for hopping around on one foot as featured in the video! At my age, I cringe contemplating the stress some of that testing would cause.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Wait until Coach J unveils his game-changing strategy - having Duke players walk in their hands instead of their feet.

Defense will never be the same
    But wouldn't the refs be compelled to call a "kick" on nearly every play . . . ?

So… Dariq is being advertised as a featured instructor at a local camp being held in early October. Should we read anything into what this means as far as his recovery and ability to be on a court moving around right now?

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    So… Dariq is being advertised as a featured instructor at a local camp being held in early October. Should we read anything into what this means as far as his recovery and ability to be on a court moving around right now?
    Considering that it's a one-day camp from 1-5 in the afternoon, I doubt it. I've seen a lot of these as a new opportunity for income opened up by NIL. They aren't "basketball camps" in the way we might traditionally think of them (i.e., week+ experiences), but essentially a few hours in which a kid can say he got to play/train with a college player.

This could mean Dariq will be up and about and moving at this camp... or it could mean he's there in a boot signing autographs to justify the $150 entry fee. I don't think it moves the needle much.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Surprised the local social media gurus missed this ( or maybe I missed it in another thread), but Dariq looked to be in normal workout gear in the gym interviewing RJ Barrett here.

The camera man of course gives us no look at his feet, but my cinder block extrapolation-interpretation is that he’s back in the gym. Bodes well.

https://www.si.com/college/duke/bask...ead-rj-barrett

(Think the original video was posted on Twitter and possibly instagram / scroll down in the SI article for the video)

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    Surprised the local social media gurus missed this ( or maybe I missed it in another thread), but Dariq looked to be in normal workout gear in the gym interviewing RJ Barrett here.

The camera man of course gives us no look at his feet, but my cinder block extrapolation-interpretation is that he’s back in the gym. Bodes well.

https://www.si.com/college/duke/bask...ead-rj-barrett

(Think the original video was posted on Twitter and possibly instagram / scroll down in the SI article for the video)
    “And whatever you do, do not pass on the opportunity to take the game winning shot even if Zion is standing right there ~ but don’t expect the refs the bail you out with a contact foul call. Make the shot.”

Quote Originally Posted by AZLA View Post
    “And whatever you do, do not pass on the opportunity to take the game winning shot even if Zion is standing right there ~ but don’t expect the refs the bail you out with a contact foul call. Make the shot.”
    They did call a foul, right? Just missed the FT that tried to make, and made the one that tried to miss ...argh!

More painful ending: that team or last year? I still vote last year given it was UNC/F4 and the 2019 team squeaked by in earlier rounds...

A one minute video from (I assume) today's practice was posted on Twitter. Dariq was there, dressed in basketball clothes, with neither a boot nor a brace (you can see him in the first few seconds of the video), though I didn't see him actually playing ball in the video.

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    A one minute video from (I assume) today's practice was posted on Twitter. Dariq was there, dressed in basketball clothes, with neither a boot nor a brace (you can see him in the first few seconds of the video), though I didn't see him actually playing ball in the video.
    In the DBP video posted tonight he also wasn’t in a boot walking around during the freshman class pic. Certainly seems like he could be back sooner than many of us were worried about.

Shutt- dude doesn’t gather the ball at all when he shoots. I think he might push for more time than conventional wisdom. Catch and Shutt!

As an old timer, I saw Jon demonstrate a few things and saw flashes of 2010. (To be honest I keep looking for coach K...this could be a long year for me to get adjusted to Jon as the Head Coach.)

I don't know if you call it an update, but just a little more information about Whitehead

https://www.yahoo.com/news/duke-star...132010501.html

We are about 4 weeks out from surgery. So assuming a 6-8 week timeline, he'd presumably be ready for practice shortly before CTC or right after that. The fact that he got out of the boot would suggest to this layman that such a timeline still seems reasonable.

From Scheyer's media availability today, per The Chronicle's Twitter:
    Scheyer gives an update on Dariq Whitehead, who he says received an X-ray today. Says that Whitehead is "right on schedule" and is no longer in a walking boot.

"No rush on our end," Scheyer says.
    "Sometime this fall": Scheyer clarifies when he expects Whitehead to return to the floor
    I have to think the word choice of fall means something, otherwise Scheyer wouldn't add any specificity. He was around Coach K long enough to learn that.

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    From Scheyer's media availability today, per The Chronicle's Twitter:

I have to think the word choice of fall means something, otherwise Scheyer wouldn't add any specificity. He was around Coach K long enough to learn that.
    K would have said "sometime this century" to be as vague as possible.

Glad he seems to be progressing OK and that we have sufficient depth to manage through for now. Depth isn't only important for games but also helps us to maintain full squads for practice.

And an update straight from the man himself...

Duke freshman Dariq Whitehead talks injury, the brotherhood & more
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2waFp65j_c

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlue View Post
    And an update straight from the man himself...

Duke freshman Dariq Whitehead talks injury, the brotherhood & more
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2waFp65j_c
    Wow. That is one well spoken young man. For his first Duke media availability, that was extremely impressive.

I also have to think that his availability is another positive sign. If Duke didn’t see him coming back sooner rather than latter I can’t imagine he’d be made available for questions, it would just suck for him.

That was impressive.That Monteverde Academy is an exceptional HS Sports prep school. There was a dribble for cancer video September 24 that shows Whitehead in a soft boot. Getting advice from Jayson Tatum regarding the injury has to be beneficial. Wonder how Tatum is handling the Udoka scandal. Crazy times in society and all sports. I think Duke will be a force for years to come.

Rehab in a pool

Brendan Marks article said Whitehead had been been using a treadmill in a pool for rehab. I've always thought pool training, even swimming laps for cardio, would be a good way to rehab guys with foot and ankle issues. Glad to see Duke is keeping his fitness up.

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    Brendan Marks article said Whitehead had been been using a treadmill in a pool for rehab. I've always thought pool training, even swimming laps for cardio, would be a good way to rehab guys with foot and ankle issues. Glad to see Duke is keeping his fitness up.
    I remember that underwater treadmill being a key factor in Ryan Kelly's return his senior year. Duke's always been ahead of the curve in sports medicine, it seems.