Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    I remember that underwater treadmill being a key factor in Ryan Kelly's return his senior year. Duke's always been ahead of the curve in sports medicine, it seems.
    Unfortunately Duke is probably ahead of the curve because of all the extra experience with sports (I.e. basketball) injuries😉

Quote Originally Posted by AGDukesky View Post
    Unfortunately Duke is probably ahead of the curve because of all the extra experience with sports (I.e. basketball) injuries��
    If only Duke had the rehab expertise of UNC. Those guys seem able to rehab their players in hours instead of weeks.

It's almost like magic.

I'm beginning to suspect their injuries are somewhat like their classes.

Quote Originally Posted by AGDukesky View Post
    Unfortunately Duke is probably ahead of the curve because of all the extra experience with sports (I.e. basketball) injuries😉
    From what I can tell from following other programs, Duke does not have an unusual amount of injuries (yes even to the feet). I suspect it's like transfers--we notice what happens at Duke more than at other programs and thus think we are outliers when we are not.

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    If only Duke had the rehab expertise of UNC. Those guys seem able to rehab their players in hours instead of weeks.

It's almost like magic.

I'm beginning to suspect their injuries are somewhat like their classes.
    Under Coach K and Coach Huck, Duke's strategy was to confuse the opponent's preparation by minimizing injuries and UNC's was to exaggerate same. With new coaches in both places, it will be interesting to see if this trend continues.

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    I remember that underwater treadmill being a key factor in Ryan Kelly's return his senior year. Duke's always been ahead of the curve in sports medicine, it seems.
    that comeback game for Kelly though, that was amazing. 36 points to lead the way over a tough Miami team. Too bad it didn't just magically continue for the rest of the year...

I responded to heyman25 and accidentally hit return, so i didn't get to finish it so: I didn't intend to snark you in particular about "years to come", just that i've been paying attention to the IPCC's reports, particularly the one they released in 2018, right after i finished PhDing my chapter about Greenhouse Gas Budgets of slash and burn vs slash and mulch agroforestry systems in Brazil, so it was something intensely on my mind at the time. In that report, the IPCC stated that if humanity continues its present course, climate disruptions will grow so intense that society as we have known it for at least the past century will no longer be viable within 20 years, in their "optimistic" projections. 10 years in the pessimistic projection. Well, we've burned thru 4 years of that already without massive changes in our carbon budget (some minor changes and a brief dip in total emissions during the pandemic aside), and we're seeing some pretty disruptive events with greater frequency that are definitely impacting the "normality" of society in regional locales, like Pakistan, Puerto Rico, E. Africa, Madagascar, the Mountain West of the US, soon-come in Florida, Alaska is on fire, Siberia is on fire, the Larsen Ice Shelf in Antarctica is collapsing, billions of tons of water are melting off of Greenland's glaciers annually, etc etc etc etc. Pretty soon these localized or regional disruptions will become global in scale. Will NCAA basketball fandom be able to survive these disruptions? Quem sabe, nem eu.
    Sorry to be Debbie Downer on a basketball fan site...

However, I am excited that Dariq is already engaged in basketball activities, and look forward to seeing him this year. Maybe he'll have his own Ryan Kelly-comeback game and score 36 in his "first game back from injury"!!!
    Last edited by DukieInBrasil; 09-28-2022 at 12:09 PM.

I tried to set up an underwater treadmill for myself, but the dang thing kept shorting out.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post

However, I am excited that Dariq is already engaged in basketball activities, and look forward to seeing him this year. Maybe he'll have his own Ryan Kelly-comeback game and score 36 in his "first game back from injury"!!!
    Let's have him back on Nov 15 then.
    "Just be you. You is Enough."

Quote Originally Posted by jipops View Post
    Let's have him back on Nov 15 then.
    Average return to play following screw fixation of 5th metatarsal fracture in athletes is 9.6 weeks (November 1st is nine weeks for him). Obviously there is some variability in terms of healing amongst athletes as with all patients, so it could be a bit sooner or later. But by November 15th is reasonable to expect.

I swear every time I come to the DBR and see this thread my heart leaps in my throat like it just happened. Then I remember it was weeks ago. Can the season get here already?
    Last edited by Gooch; 09-29-2022 at 09:44 PM. Reason: Posted too soon