Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast
    I could foresee penalties for the players who LIVed, such as forfeiture of some purse money, going into a bonus pool for those who stayed. These would be conditions for rejoining the PGA Tour, etc.

How can anyone consider Rory losing? He stood up for something he believed in (PGA Tour) or possibly against (Saudis), and didn't chase the almighty dollar.

What the hell has gone wrong with this world?

If his principles were mainly against, now he has to play for them and it sucks. But where else is he to go, it's the only game in town. IMHO (you can decide for yourself where the H went), the losers here are PGA Tour management, specifically Monahan.
    Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote. - George Jean Nathan

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    How can anyone consider Rory losing? He stood up for something he believed in (PGA Tour) or possibly against (Saudis), and didn't chase the almighty dollar.
    Yeah, I think the "win" and "lose" here is merely folks tracking dollars.

Rory has earned over $125 mil from winning golf tournaments in his lifetime and probably something fairly similar in endorsements. Sure, he might have missed out on a large bag of cash from LIV, but he and at least a couple generations of little Rorys are going to live a life of fabulous luxury regardless.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Here's the first ideal of how to reward the PGA remainers and punish the defectors from someone that was in the room.

Jimmy Dunne outlines plan for PGA Tour loyalists, LIV players who want back

Golfers who remained loyal to the PGA Tour -- but not those who left for the LIV Golf League -- would receive equity shares in the new for-profit enterprise being formed by the PGA Tour, DP World Tour and Saudi Arabia's Public Investment Fund, Jimmy Dunne told ESPN on Friday.
    Monahan suspended more than 30 PGA Tour members for competing in LIV tournaments without conflicting-event releases, including past major champions DeChambeau, Dustin Johnson, Brooks Koepka, Phil Mickelson, Cameron Smith and others.

Sources have told ESPN that the punishment would probably be considered on a case-by-case basis. The 11 LIV Golf League players who sued the PGA Tour in federal court might get stiffer penalties than those who didn't, while players who actively recruited PGA Tour members to the breakaway circuit could also be hit hard.

I cannot speak for anyone else, but when I said Rory lost, I said that because Rory took a stand for the PGA only to have the PGA turn around and strike the deal they did with LIV. Rory stood up for the PGA for principle over financial gain only to see the PGA make a decision based largely, if not entirely, upon financial gain.

I have nothing but admiration for how Rory has handled the whole situation, and in terms of keeping to his principles, he certainly won. However, given Rory’s comments about how the deal is probably good for the game of golf but that he has some tough conversations with the PGA ahead, I believe that Rory feels like he lost in this as well.

Seems to me like the Saudis may well be the losers. They pumped in 2 bil and LIV is under Monahan now and may be disbanded at end of year.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    Here's the first ideal of how to reward the PGA remainers and punish the defectors from someone that was in the room.

Jimmy Dunne outlines plan for PGA Tour loyalists, LIV players who want back
    This creates a serious cognitive dissonance for me. So they want to award the people who found the idea odious by making them part-owners? So they can more fully participate in the very thing they had no interest in participating in?

Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    Seems to me like the Saudis may well be the losers. They pumped in 2 bil and LIV is under Monahan now and may be disbanded at end of year.
    It's likely that they are getting equity in the new entity. They also own a majority of those LIV teams which seem on track to survive. Depending on the eventual valuation they might make out like bandits.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    This creates a serious cognitive dissonance for me. So they want to award the people who found the idea odious by making them part-owners? So they can more fully participate in the very thing they had no interest in participating in?
    Agreed. The other option would be cash. I think they opted for option that would be cheaper short term (basically stock options) with the chance that the price pops from an eventually IPO. The Saudis also want to diversify their portfolio so I'm sure they are looking at making this a revenue generator eventually. An IPO would that.
    Last edited by Kdogg; 06-10-2023 at 03:38 PM.

The PGA Tour’s new logo

It's likely that they are getting equity in the new entity. They also own a majority of those LIV teams which seem on track to survive. Depending on the eventual valuation they might make out like bandits.

Agreed. The other option would be cash. I think they opted for option that would be cheaper short term (basically stock options) with the chance that the price pops from an eventually IPO. The Saudis also want to diversify their portfolio so I'm sure they are looking at making this a revenue generator eventually. An IPO would that.
    From what I read there is a good chance there is no LIV tour next year. Maybe I am misunderstanding?

From what I read there is a good chance there is no LIV tour next year. Maybe I am misunderstanding?
    It might be gone or it might not, but the the idea is that all three tours will be run under a single umbrella. So even if LIV itself no longer exists in is present form, the most objectionable part of the whole thing will still exist.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    I saw a similar picture with the golf club replaced with a used medical instrument.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    It might be gone or it might not, but the the idea is that all three tours will be run under a single umbrella. So even if LIV itself no longer exists in is present form, the most objectionable part of the whole thing will still exist.
    I'm not sure what's going to happen. Those LIV guys were sold on the idea that their teams would get F1 valuations so I can't see that going away. At least for a transition period, I can see players being allowed to pick and choose events (PGA, LIV, and DP). They can control the schedule to spread out the higher paying events from cannibalizing each other. The PGA was already moving to a schedule were they would be hosting multiple events on the same dates. The only reason I found out about that was because there's going to be a new PGA tournament in my area in 2024. It "will be part of the PGA TOUR’s 2024 FedExCup Regular Season as a Full-Field additional event played the same week as a Designated event" according the the press release. I would guess that means there will be an A tournament and B tournament at the same time. It seems dumb that the PGA would be competing with itself but they don't seem to be the brightest bunch. I guess they don't care as long as people are watching PGA golf but I have to think the TV partners do care.

I saw a similar picture with the golf club replaced with a used medical instrument.

I'm not sure what's going to happen. Those LIV guys were sold on the idea that their teams would get F1 valuations so I can't see that going away. At least for a transition period, I can see players being allowed to pick and choose events (PGA, LIV, and DP). They can control the schedule to spread out the higher paying events from cannibalizing each other. The PGA was already moving to a schedule were they would be hosting multiple events on the same dates. The only reason I found out about that was because there's going to be a new PGA tournament in my area in 2024. It "will be part of the PGA TOUR’s 2024 FedExCup Regular Season as a Full-Field additional event played the same week as a Designated event" according the the press release. I would guess that means there will be an A tournament and B tournament at the same time. It seems dumb that the PGA would be competing with itself but they don't seem to be the brightest bunch. I guess they don't care as long as people are watching PGA golf but I have to think the TV partners do care.
    EDAE8210-CB5C-4B62-A0A7-549D797520AC.jpg

I think "pound sand" is the more relevant term.

He da man😀

So that's how to avoid the wankerizer!
    Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote. - George Jean Nathan

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Must spread sporks. Awesome stuff.

Tommy Fleetwood in a playoff for his 1st PGA Tour win. If not for a wayward tee shot on 18, he would probably be drinking a nice Tetley's already.
    Last edited by dudog84; 06-11-2023 at 06:31 PM. Reason: awkward English