Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Good post, and it being conciliatory is appreciated. Sometimes one's boycott is more than just about hurting the bottom line of a company, it's about one's personal morals. There are a couple of companies (not naming names) doing just fine without my business today that I refuse to buy from, and in fact, since I've taken my stance with them (going on years now), they've likely made even more money annually than when I started.
    But I feel personally better for not being party to their underlying ethics that made me take my position in the first place.
    Understood.

In his pre-tournament presser at the RBC Canadian Open, Rory said he in fact was never offered money by LIV, still hates LIV, wishes they would just go away, and thinks they will. He sees this deal as the death of LIV and a win for golf considering the unlimited resources the PIF will have at its disposal for this new entity, however it ends up looking like. He made it clear he is separating LIV out of this partnership and seemed confident they will not be around under this new umbrella, if you will.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    In his pre-tournament presser at the RBC Canadian Open, Rory said he in fact was never offered money by LIV, still hates LIV, wishes they would just go away, and thinks they will. He sees this deal as the death of LIV and a win for golf considering the unlimited resources the PIF will have at its disposal for this new entity, however it ends up looking like. He made it clear he is separating LIV out of this partnership and seemed confident they will not be around under this new umbrella, if you will.
    Seems to be a naive take unless he believes taking money and directives from the Saudis is OK; Greg Norman is bad and the demise of Norman is the root of his hate for LIV.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Seems to be a naive take unless he believes taking money and directives from the Saudis is OK; Greg Norman is bad and the demise of Norman is the root of his hate for LIV.
    I still grin when I watch Greg blow himself out of the water and lose that Masters to Nick Faldo in '96. Make no mistake, Greg Norman is bad. Not bad enough for me to chronicle his other losses in majors, though.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    I still grin when I watch Greg blow himself out of the water and lose that Masters to Nick Faldo in '96. Make no mistake, Greg Norman is bad. Not bad enough for me to chronicle his other losses in majors, though.
    I like his shirts. Do I have to throw them out? Please say no.
    Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote. - George Jean Nathan

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Nah. You can keep 'em. I only have one of them, but it is a quality product.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    I certainly am not trying to usurp anyone's freedom to act and do as they will; if it really bothers somebody that the tours are merging, they should feel free to express their displeasure here, and also to stop watching pro golf as a form of protest.
    A quick reply just to say thank you for the post. I couldn't spork, because I've liked your previous posts too often. But I'm thinking it. Well said.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    But I feel personally better for not being party to their underlying ethics that made me take my position in the first place.
    This. It's not a protest, and it's not a boycott. It's simply one personal choice in one person's effort to balance living honorably and ethically with recognizing we inhabit an imperfect world and being a hermit isn't really a desirable (or achievable) option. I hold no illusions that the PIFGA or whatever they end up calling it would ever give a rat's patoot about whether Mal's watching the Honda Classic next year. Nor do I think I'm in a group that's large enough to have an appreciable longterm effect on golf's standing in the television and eyeballs universe by going away.

It's just about the fact that I will feel better for not being a willing cog anymore in this particular machinery. I struggle with the same issues when it comes to watching football despite its impact on the brains of a lot of its participants. And I struggle with following college sports for a number of reasons, mostly stemming from knowing that my fandom in some small way has enabled a sad perversion of institutional priorities. In the case of golf, my participation rate may actually go up due to my spectating rate going to nil, which would be a good thing regardless of the reasons.

Anyway, I think that means I need to stop adding to this particular Thread. Enjoy yourselves and don't get too out of hand!

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    I went to all four rounds of that Masters. Norman was painfully slow and deliberate the first three rounds. You could see him speeding up on Sunday as the wheels started to come off. It was like watching a guy slowly bleed to death for 4.5 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    The last few years, collector lawn gnomes have been huge sellers at the Masters. Each year is different.

I think the choice for next year’s version is certainly inspired by the merger:

IMG_0931.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    The last few years, collector lawn gnomes have been huge sellers at the Masters. Each year is different.

I think the choice for next year’s version is certainly inspired by the merger:

IMG_0931.jpg
    Must spread sporks.

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Do they have chokers on them?

So the simple sum up for the past few days is that Phil was proven right and won, while Rory was proven wrong and lost. Correct?

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    So the simple sum up for the past few days is that Phil was proven right and won, while Rory was proven wrong and lost. Correct?
    The simple sum-up is that money talks. All three groups had huge financial incentives to reach a deal, whether they individually like the deals or not.

If you want a second takeaway, it’s that big businesses tend to settle lawsuits quickly when they realize what is likely to come out during discovery.

Rory definitely lost. Time will tell whether Phil won.
    Last edited by jafarr1; 06-09-2023 at 01:13 PM. Reason: Clarity

Did Rory lose? I don'tkinow enough about the final deal to say whether he “caved” at the end. He at least took a initial stand for honor - that has to mean something to him, his friends and family.

Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    Did Rory lose? I don'tkinow enough about the final deal to say whether he “caved” at the end. He at least took a initial stand for honor - that has to mean something to him, his friends and family.
    He didn't lose. He just has the rug pulled out from under him by the body he was defending. Absolutely mortifying.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    He didn't lose. He just has the rug pulled out from under him by the body he was defending. Absolutely mortifying.
    Ah...that's kind of description of losing...

I feel bad for Rory, the PGA didn't do him right at all. Plus, he can't put a major together...

In his pre RBC Canadian Open tourney presser, Rory stated he was never offered money to go to LIV.

It’s interesting that right now all sides can claim they “won”

Phil and Norman can say they were right all along and changed the PGA Tour forever

LIV can say they brought the PGA to its knees and forced a settlement

Jay and the PGA can say they are getting a crap ton of cash to get into players hands going forward and merged global golf

And the PIF has a seat at the table in pro golf (and owns the table)

For the players time will tell and it will be in the details. I could see a scenario where Monahan has to reward the loyal players and does so by paying out Rory, Rahm, etc and shutting down LIV, firing Norman, and casting out the LIV guys. All those guys who threw stones at Monahan - guess what, he’s your new boss and will determine whether and how you regain access to the tours. Can’t imagine the PIF holding out for those guys out of loyalty so could see Rory/Rahm/Spieth winning with Phil/ Norman/ etc losing. Alternatively could see the opposite where the loyal guys are told “tough S you have no leverage” and it definitely being an L for them. Time will tell here.