Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Drive for show, putt for dough. True as it ever was.
    Stats show every 10 yards of driving distance is roughly equivalent to a stroke on your handicap. So if Block is a +5 and 40 more yards got him to +9, he would be in the land of elite/top 25ish in the world, so not totally unreasonable. Stupid thing for him to say but factually he’s probably not far off.

Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post
    Stats show every 10 yards of driving distance is roughly equivalent to a stroke on your handicap. So if Block is a +5 and 40 more yards got him to +9, he would be in the land of elite/top 25ish in the world, so not totally unreasonable. Stupid thing for him to say but factually he’s probably not far off.
    Interesting. Thanks. I stand corrected.

LIV experiment on the CW has been a complete failure. They announced that they are going back to YouTube, but that this time around viewers will have to pay to watch.

Good luck with that. They weren't getting very many viewers on YouTube even when watching it was free.

Viktor Hovland wins in a playoff to keep alive his string of a PGA Tour win every year since he turned pro.
    Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote. - George Jean Nathan

Viktor Hovland wins in a playoff to keep alive his string of a PGA Tour win every year since he turned pro.
    Helped by a 3 putt bogey on 18 today by Denny McCarthy, who’s statistically usually the best or top 2-3 putters on Tour. The dropped shot helped force the playoff with Hovland. Viktor is a stud in the making and is due for a major win soon.

Wow!! I did not see this coming.

LIV Golf and PGA Tour to merge.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/06/06/s...iv-merger.html

I can’t wait to hear more details and how both sides spin this. Especially the PGA Tour.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. synellinden View Post

I can’t wait to hear more details and how both sides spin this. Especially the PGA Tour.
    Wow. That is... Fascinating

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

PGA Tour, LIV Golf, DP World Tour announce merger

The landmark deal was reached without the knowledge of many PGA Tour members and LIV Golf players and agents.

Said one PGA Tour player reached by ESPN on Tuesday, "No f---ing way."
    I said the same thing.

I was shocked to read this. It was interesting hearing Jack Nicklaus discuss the players who switched to LIV. He didn’t seem bitter at all and wished them well but basically had the attitude that they were simply no longer part of the PGA Tour. Wonder how surprised he is by this announcement…

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Now that the merger has been announced, I'm just gonna go ahead and bruise my back with excessive patting. From last year's PGA thread.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I think a lot of this truly is about matters of principle. It's not like these guys are starving for cash. (Well, Phil excluded.)
    It's about the PGA being so iron fisted, that it's rubbing many of these folks the wrong way, to the point that more than a few of them are now saying "Fine, eff you".
    And it's not a battle that the PGA is going to win.
    Quote Originally Posted by duke79 View Post
    My guess is that the LIV tour won't be in operation two years from now. If it collapses, it will be interesting to see if the PGA tour allows the LIV players to re-join the "regular" tour.
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    My guess is the opposite. I'm thinking it still going, and will have expanded, and the PGA will be coming to terms in trying to figure out how to co-exist.

By the way, I think the DBR mods were ahead of it all along, in that I'm fairly certain there was a "LIV Golf" thread of some sort, and to tame the rhetoric it was ultimately merged with the PGA thread.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Let's go Duke!

Money talks. Especially endless Saudi oil money.

Rory turned down $500 million. Tiger turned down $800 million.

Are they angry today?

It's all a game. I'm increasingly wondering why I pay attention at all.

I was excited to have Alex to root for, because I pay attention to virtually no other pro sports. Plus college has been fast approaching pro "sensibilities", even arguably surpassing them in some areas. Just another nail in my coffin.

This weekend I ran into an old buddy who I used to watch Steelers games with. I remarked to him how embarrassed I was about how worked up I used to get, and actually apologized to him (some occurred in his house). I don't miss it, won't miss it.
    Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote. - George Jean Nathan

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    Money talks.
    This seems more like shouting.

Seems less like a merger and more like the PIF bought the PGA Tour.

Wonder what they found in discovery in the anti-trust suit and how big the check to Jay Monahan was?

Sounds like almost all of the LIV guys and all of the PGA guys (presumably; if Morikawa didn't know, I suspect none did) found out the same way we all did. Stunning.

Quote Originally Posted by AGDukesky View Post
    I was shocked to read this. It was interesting hearing Jack Nicklaus discuss the players who switched to LIV. He didn’t seem bitter at all and wished them well but basically had the attitude that they were simply no longer part of the PGA Tour. Wonder how surprised he is by this announcement…
    Well Jack and company were instrumental in the first big big golf schism when they left PGA of American to form the PGA Tour. He's problem not looking to throw stones.

Please understand that this is not at all to throw stones, because I honestly don't remember who held these views. But for those that thought LIV was blood money, are you now done with the PGA Tour? (or whatever its name will be)

Is the moral of the story always take the money?

Please understand that this is not at all to throw stones, because I honestly don't remember who held these views. But for those that thought LIV was blood money, are you now done with the PGA Tour? (or whatever its name will be)
    I am an addict to watching professional golf and many of the PGA Tour guys and LIV guys so although I may try to quit, I may relapse.