Thread: Lahaina Burning

Lahaina Burning

The Lahaina Civic Center is apparently still standing but the town has pretty much burned to the ground.

Duke has had quite a history in the Maui Invitational. Many great memories. I don’t think they’ll be able to hold the tournament in that venue this year.

So tragic for the residents. Some had to flee into the ocean to save themselves.

I've been to Maui three times to see Duke in the tournament. This is such a shame. Lahaina is quaint, which means it is either tacky or chic, depending upon your point of view. So sad about the banyan tree, which you really had to see (and walk through) to appreciate. I expect the tournament will continue, but without the town it will not be the same.

i've shared the story of my visit there before...

man, that whole thing is devastating...and it's not over yet...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    i've shared the story of my visit there before...

man, that whole thing is devastating...and it's not over yet...

On a side note, looking at your pictures, do you know what the story is with the entire Iowa team being MVP's in 1987? I found that to be curious.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by buddy View Post
    I've been to Maui three times to see Duke in the tournament. This is such a shame. Lahaina is quaint, which means it is either tacky or chic, depending upon your point of view. So sad about the banyan tree, which you really had to see (and walk through) to appreciate. I expect the tournament will continue, but without the town it will not be the same.
    There's hope for the tree. That doesn't mean that it's going to survive, but as of now it's still standing.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/lahaina-h...114301779.html
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Just got back from the travel agent. Some idiot was in this week wanting to go to Maui and thought they should be up and running by September - this year.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    Just got back from the travel agent. Some idiot was in this week wanting to go to Maui and thought they should be up and running by September - this year.
    He deserves to go. Have fun, buddy. Bring a tent.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    He deserves to go. Have fun, buddy. Bring a tent.
    True, but the residents don't deserve the hassle of putting up with him. Travel agent wouldn't book anything to Maui for him.

Yeah, we had a trip booked for Maui in November. Change of plans now of course. Awful, tragic circumstances. Hope the banyan tree survives, but a lot of history lost. Not to mention the loss of lives.

Good news!

A colossal, beloved 150-year-old banyan tree at the centre of Lahaina town that was scorched when deadly wildfires ravaged Maui, Hawaii, last month is showing viridescent signs of new growth.

The tree, which has been described as the “heartbeat of Lahaina Town” was badly singed, but still standing last month after fires killed at least 97 people and reduced much of the historic town to ash.
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/symbol-ho...050049238.html