Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post
    I have no inside information, but Scheffler just spent the past weekend hanging with Sergio at the UT-Bama game, and has a 5 year exemption to all the Majors via his Masters win. I'm at the point that only Rory and JT are PGA Tour locks in my mind; I would not be shocked by anyone else on the list moving to LIV.
    I thought the majors, including the Masters, have already said they are not sure if they will allow the LIV players to compete in the future? Maybe I am mistaken? I'd be surprised if Justin Thomas jumped ship but who knows? I assume he would get guaranteed money at least in the range of Phil Mickelson - reportedly $200 million or so. That sort of money can sway a lot of minds. I could also see Will Zalatoris and Collin Morikawa playing the LIV tour for the right amount of cash. I think it's terrible for the game of professional golf, as we have known it, but money talks. I just hope the players who have jumped ship have been paid up front.

Quote Originally Posted by duke79 View Post
    I thought the majors, including the Masters, have already said they are not sure if they will allow the LIV players to compete in the future? Maybe I am mistaken? I'd be surprised if Justin Thomas jumped ship but who knows? I assume he would get guaranteed money at least in the range of Phil Mickelson - reportedly $200 million or so. That sort of money can sway a lot of minds. I could also see Will Zalatoris and Collin Morikawa playing the LIV tour for the right amount of cash. I think it's terrible for the game of professional golf, as we have known it, but money talks. I just hope the players who have jumped ship have been paid up front.
    Yeah, the majors have changed the qualifications in the past, they can invite who they want. There's probably already a clause that players have to be in good standing (with whoever), a nice vague phrase that gives them a lot of leeway.
    Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote. - George Jean Nathan

Why would the Majors change their past practice in order to punish players who would have wanted to play on both the PGA and LIV tours, but have been kicked off the PGA Tour because they played in a LIV event? Solidarity with the PGA? Taking a moral stand against Saudi money?*

In fact, I don’t know that the PGA would *want* the majors to change their qualification criteria just to punish LIV golfers. The essence of the LIV lawsuit drafted by Quinn Emanuel is that the PGA unlawfully deprived LIV golfers of the right to pursue their careers.

I’m glad it’s not Jon Rahm. I hope it’s not Scottie Scheffler. I hope to see Scottie in the mix again for the FedEx Cup.

*My back hurts from how forcefully I was laughing as I wrote that sentence.
    Carolina delenda est

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Why would the Majors change their past practice in order to punish players who would have wanted to play on both the PGA and LIV tours, but have been kicked off the PGA Tour because they played in a LIV event? Solidarity with the PGA? Taking a moral stand against Saudi money?*

In fact, I don’t know that the PGA would *want* the majors to change their qualification criteria just to punish LIV golfers. The essence of the LIV lawsuit drafted by Quinn Emanuel is that the PGA unlawfully deprived LIV golfers of the right to pursue their careers.

I’m glad it’s not Jon Rahm. I hope it’s not Scottie Scheffler. I hope to see Scottie in the mix again for the FedEx Cup.

*My back hurts from how forcefully I was laughing as I wrote that sentence.
    The Masters people are very traditional. Same with the Royal & Ancient. Think they have much respect for shorts on the course, loud music, and teams? The U.S. Open touts itself the toughest test in golf. Think they respect 54-hole no-cut tournaments? And I think the "PGA" Championship speaks for itself.
    Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote. - George Jean Nathan

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    The Masters people are very traditional. Same with the Royal & Ancient. Think they have much respect for shorts on the course, loud music, and teams? The U.S. Open touts itself the toughest test in golf. Think they respect 54-hole no-cut tournaments? And I think the "PGA" Championship speaks for itself.
    The US and British Opens are "open" in that any player that qualifies can play.

To qualify for the US Open: "Any professional golfer or amateur with a Handicap Index that does not exceed 1.4 is eligible to enter."

Exemptions are given as well, including:
    1 Winners of the U.S. Open Championship the last 10 years
    2 Top 10 finishes, including ties, from the previous U.S. Open
    3 Reigning U.S. Amateur Champion
    4 Reigning U.S. Amateur runner-up (must be an amateur)
    5 Winners of the Masters the last five years (including current year)
    6 Winners of the PGA Championship the last five years (including current year)
    7 Winners of the Open Championship the last five years
    8 Winners of the Players Championship the last three years (including current year)
    9 Winner of the most recent European Tour BMW PGA Championship
    (plus a bunch of others related to standing in various tours)

Nothing says a player has to be in good standing with the PGA of America.

The British Open has similar qualifications and exemptions.

I doubt either will change their "open" qualifications to ban players because they have played on the LIV tour.

The Masters, as a private tournament, might but I doubt they will restrict otherwise exempt players, especially former champions. (They could "encourage" them not to play.)

Of course, I concur that the PGA tour would require the players to be in good standing.

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    The US and British Opens are "open" in that any player that qualifies can play.

To qualify for the US Open: "Any professional golfer or amateur with a Handicap Index that does not exceed 1.4 is eligible to enter."

Exemptions are given as well, including:
    1 Winners of the U.S. Open Championship the last 10 years
    2 Top 10 finishes, including ties, from the previous U.S. Open
    3 Reigning U.S. Amateur Champion
    4 Reigning U.S. Amateur runner-up (must be an amateur)
    5 Winners of the Masters the last five years (including current year)
    6 Winners of the PGA Championship the last five years (including current year)
    7 Winners of the Open Championship the last five years
    8 Winners of the Players Championship the last three years (including current year)
    9 Winner of the most recent European Tour BMW PGA Championship
    (plus a bunch of others related to standing in various tours)

Nothing says a player has to be in good standing with the PGA of America.

The British Open has similar qualifications and exemptions.

I doubt either will change their "open" qualifications to ban players because they have played on the LIV tour.

The Masters, as a private tournament, might but I doubt they will restrict otherwise exempt players, especially former champions. (They could "encourage" them not to play.)

Of course, I concur that the PGA tour would require the players to be in good standing.
    I purposely did not say good standing with the PGA of America. That wouldn't pass legal muster. Just good standing. Again, vague, but potentially useful.

Good points about "open". So they might make them play in the qualifiers. Will LIV golfers want to do that? Some probably, others don't want the grind. Just a guess, but given the nature of the "tournaments" (or should I say "events"), I believe if they are given OWGR points that they will be in the nature of those given a minor tour. They won't care about the names but the nature of the competition.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    I purposely did not say good standing with the PGA of America. That wouldn't pass legal muster. Just good standing. Again, vague, but potentially useful.

Good points about "open". So they might make them play in the qualifiers. Will LIV golfers want to do that? Some probably, others don't want the grind. Just a guess, but given the nature of the "tournaments" (or should I say "events"), I believe if they are given OWGR points that they will be in the nature of those given a minor tour. They won't care about the names but the nature of the competition.
    Bad writing on my part. I’m sure the PGA Championship would require “good standing”, or, membership, in the PGA (good standing would cover some otherwise exempt players.)

Regarding the Theo Opens, I don’t see them banning players from qualifying, or eliminating already earned exemptions. Doesn’t mean they would provide qualifying points for LIV events.

I don't think Eamon Lynch likes the LIV Tour.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/gol...62e848f83d07a2

There's lots of juicy barbs in here, but to get to the bones of the matter:

LIV’s existing structure falls short of many of the conventions long-established for tours to qualify for world ranking points...On rules around format, cuts and average field sizes over the course of a season, LIV is non-compliant. Nor are LIV events accessible via a legitimate qualification process, since entry is determined largely by Greg Norman’s use of MBS’s checkbook. Defenders will point to LIV’s proposed relegation system but that is meritless since some players are contractually exempt from being demoted, regardless of performance.

Tours must be compliant with OWGR standards for a year before ranking points will be awarded, but LIV has shown no intent to become so.

Latest rumor is four more of the world's top 50 are set to move to the LIV tour, but there will likely not be any formal announcements until after the last tournament. Rumor mills are talking about possibly Adam Scott, Victor Hovland, and some others. Rahm has declared a fairly decisive no.

Lopez-Chacarra, very recently at Oklahoma State and at the time the number two ranked amateur in the world, turned pro directly to the LIV Tour on a three-year deal just four weeks ago. He won and his team won, which means that he took home 4 million from his three-days' work. 😲

Wow. Patrick Cantlay triple-bogeys the 18th (by draining a 35-foot putt!) to lose by 3. I can't remember such a meltdown on the final hole by a top player.

In case anyone wants to watch the pain:

https://www.golfchannel.com/video/pa...bad-final-hole

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Not to worry. Most of what the PGA says it contributes to charity is actually money raised by local charities that piggyback on the PGA events.

Estimates are that the PGA itself is spending approximately 3-4% on charitable giving. If they want to continue giving the same amount of money to charity they will have to increase that percentage, but they aren't going bankrupt anytime soon.
    There is what the PGA gives -- which isn't very much -- and what the sponsors give. From years ago, BellSouth underwrote all the costs of its tournament in Atlanta and then gave all proceeds to charity. I believe that was the "gate" and the fees paid by the concession companies. Not sure where the TV money went.

Eamon Lynch, in a scathing USA Today article on the claims of LIV tour reps and golfers, such as Mickelson, hyping the LIV tour as rapidly gaining ground vis-a-vis the PGA Tour:

More drunks are ejected on Saturday at the Phoenix Open than [fans that] attend LIV tournaments

Freddie Couples pulled a Streelman yesterday at the SAS Championship, finishing his 60 with seven straight birdies. He also made five straight birdies to complete the front side, resulting in 12 birdies in 14 holes. Going into that stretch, he was at 8 under for the tournament.

Keegan Bradley won the ZOZO championship in Japan yesterday. It was his 5th win on tour and his first since winning the BMW Championship in 2018. I was very happy for him. He is one of my favorites and is still pretty young. He turned 36 this past June. He also is a former major winner. He edged Rickie Fowler by a shot to win the tournament yesterday. He shot -15 and Fowler shot -14. It was good to see Rickie play well too. He is due for a win soon and is a perennial fan favorite.

Brooks Koepka won the LIV tournament yesterday in a playoff and then announced that sooner or later he's going to need a knee replacement! Not exactly a fan of his (team Bryson) but hope he can get healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    Keegan Bradley won the ZOZO championship in Japan yesterday. It was his 5th win on tour and his first since winning the BMW Championship in 2018. I was very happy for him. He is one of my favorites and is still pretty young. He turned 36 this past June. He also is a former major winner. He edged Rickie Fowler by a shot to win the tournament yesterday. He shot -15 and Fowler shot -14. It was good to see Rickie play well too. He is due for a win soon and is a perennial fan favorite.
    Fowler has apparently been getting some help from Butch Harmon. That usually pays off.

In a nutshell, here's what is wrong with LIV golf.

Peter Uihlein, who turned pro in 2011, had never won on the PGA Tour and had career earnings of $4M (pretty darn good considering his record), won $2.1M this past weekend coming in second. He got another $750,000 because his "team" won. He's ranked 3rd in LIV's "Order of Merit". He's ranked #345 in the OWGR.

Two players who withdrew (!) made $121,000.

https://golfweek.usatoday.com/2022/1...-saudi-arabia/

I don't blame Mr. Uihlein for grabbing the money. Not at all. But what a joke. And what does it say about the "top" golfers (looking at you DJ) competing with this guy for the "Order of Merit"?

Peter Uihlein, who turned pro in 2011, had never won on the PGA Tour and had career earnings of $4M (pretty darn good considering his record), won $2.1M this past weekend coming in second. He got another $750,000 because his "team" won. He's ranked 3rd in LIV's "Order of Merit". He's ranked #345 in the OWGR.

I don't blame Mr. Uihlein for grabbing the money. Not at all. But what a joke. And what does it say about the "top" golfers (looking at you DJ) competing with this guy for the "Order of Merit"?
    OK, so you list what some players made in $$ but you don't show anything wrong and your lead is "Here's what's wrong with the LIV tour".

Yeah, I agree with the other esteemed DBRite. Players joined LIV to make money. They are making huge amounts of money. You can say it's ludicrous, but it seems like the LIV is doing exactly what it set out to do.

Ahem.

"I don't blame Mr. Uihlein for grabbing the money. Not at all."

It's a joke. And anyone saying LIV is trending up while the PGA is trending down is an idiot (Lefty). What, are we all Kardashian fans now? Because I'm most decidedly not.