Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Ahem.

"I don't blame Mr. Uihlein for grabbing the money. Not at all."

It's a joke. And anyone saying LIV is trending up while the PGA is trending down is an idiot (Lefty). What, are we all Kardashian fans now? Because I'm most decidedly not.
    The question for me is - how is this level of compensation sustainable? Especially with such limited opportunity to watch the actual competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    The question for me is - how is this level of compensation sustainable? Especially with such limited opportunity to watch the actual competition.
    It's not. There is no revenue model to support it, even if LIV were to get a TV deal and unlock global markets and create F1 style franchises. The pay is above what the market should reward based solely on the decisions of the Public Investment Fund. If the PIF deem this investment is no longer generating the return they expect they will cut funding and LIV would crater. But it's anyone's guess if or when that would ever happen.

Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post
    It's not. There is no revenue model to support it, even if LIV were to get a TV deal and unlock global markets and create F1 style franchises. The pay is above what the market should reward based solely on the decisions of the Public Investment Fund. If the PIF deem this investment is no longer generating the return they expect they will cut funding and LIV would crater. But it's anyone's guess if or when that would ever happen.
    I mean, does the LIV only exist to damage the PGA? And if so, how long can they push forward with no income?

Oil!

(Added exclamation point because the board requires 4 characters. Who knew?)
    Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote. - George Jean Nathan

Oil!

(Added exclamation point because the board requires 4 characters. Who knew?)
    How does funnelling oil (ha ha) into the pockets of professional golfers do, well, anything?

How does funnelling oil (ha ha) into the pockets of professional golfers do, well, anything?
    They're calling it "sportswashing". I'm not sure how effective it is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sportswashing

I think Hitler started the trend in 1936. So glad Jesse Owens ruined his party. Wish he could have done the same to the Nazi Party.
    Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote. - George Jean Nathan

First of all, there isn't limited opportunity to watch, unless you don't have an internet connection. It ls literally as simple as going to Youtube and typing into a search bar. Done. It plays commercial free.

Second, the revenue stream is never drying up. Ever. The Saudis are making something like three billion dollars every day, day after day after day. They can give away as much of it as they want and they still have more coming. They don't need ad revenues.

The LIV Tour goes away when the Saudis decide they have had their fun, and not until.

They're calling it "sportswashing". I'm not sure how effective it is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sportswashing

I think Hitler started the trend in 1936. So glad Jesse Owens ruined his party. Wish he could have done the same to the Nazi Party.
    I’d never heard this before. Daniel Snyder tries it with his NFL team, but screws that up as well.

Rory McIlroy wins the CJ Cup in South Carolina. That’s his 23rd win on the PGA Tour.

All things considered Rory McIlroy’s 2022 will go down as one of the best years without a major win. Became voice of PGA Tour. Worked behind scenes to help change schedule. 3 wins, including FedEx Cup. 14 top 10s in 21 starts. Top 8 in every major. Back to world No. 1. Amazing.

Courtesy @Daniel_Rapaport official Twitter account.

if you have any cynicism about golf, read this

I came upon this rather splendid article from the New Yorker concerning the Saudi backed LIV tour and lots of other stuff...much high horsiness, depravity, all in good fun. Old quote from Nicklaus about how Black folks don't quite have the right muscles for golf, Greg Norman when asked about Saudi repression of gays responded most logically "I don't think I know any gay people," just on and on. Brooks Koepka hating Bryson DeChambeau one day, joining him the next, these guys are great. The author has himself a good sense of humor.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...lf-or-wreck-it

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I came upon this rather splendid article from the New Yorker concerning the Saudi backed LIV tour and lots of other stuff...much high horsiness, depravity, all in good fun. Old quote from Nicklaus about how Black folks don't quite have the right muscles for golf, Greg Norman when asked about Saudi repression of gays responded most logically "I don't think I know any gay people," just on and on. Brooks Koepka hating Bryson DeChambeau one day, joining him the next, these guys are great. The author has himself a good sense of humor.

Yea, read this story in the New Yorker over the weekend. Entertaining and informative and you gain some insight into life on the PGA (and now LIV) tour. Obviously, the author of the story does not have a high opinion of most pro golfers but, and let's face reality, most professional golfers are not exactly deep thinkers or intellectuals. You don't make it to the PGA tour by spending hours in the library at Arizona State. You have to be out on the range pounding balls all day and night.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post

I’m part way in, and it’s excellent so far. Teaser:

Loyalties could be fluid. When I asked Rory McIlroy, a prominent Tour loyalist, whether players had misled him about LIV offers, he laughed and said, “Yes. Everyone’s turned quite cynical.” Homa added, “It’s like high school. People are lying to your face. ” Reliable intelligence was essential. One needed to know whom to trust, and, if the winds shifted, when to jump, and for how much.
    Carolina delenda est

Quote Originally Posted by duke79 View Post
    Yea, read this story in the New Yorker over the weekend. Entertaining and informative and you gain some insight into life on the PGA (and now LIV) tour. Obviously, the author of the story does not have a high opinion of most pro golfers but, and let's face reality, most professional golfers are not exactly deep thinkers or intellectuals. You don't make it to the PGA tour by spending hours in the library at Arizona State. You have to be out on the range pounding balls all day and night.
    Except for our own Alex Smalley. Magna cum laude, B.S. Environmental Science. Duke Scholar Athlete of the Year (I read that somewhere, currently having trouble finding a citation).

Quote Originally Posted by duke79 View Post
    This is presumptive and a bit demeaning. Do you think Bryson, for example, is stupid? LOL.

Bubba Watson brags about taking guaranteed money to appear in PGA Tour tournaments — in violation of PGA Tour rules — and suggests others were getting paid more: https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id...aranteed-money

One thing I do like about the LIV saga: getting to see a bit of the PGA Tour’s dirty laundry aired.

When Phil went public so ham handedly with his beef with the PGA Tour, I struggled to understand what his complaints were. I asked around and never got a clear picture, with the conversation always turning to things like why does Phil need money and he plays a sport for a living, so why is he complaining.

The New Yorker article linked here did the best job I have seen to date of laying out the framework for the issues that LIV sought to leverage, as well as the substantive responses to shore up those weaknesses in the Tour’s model.

But the drip, drip continues.

Judge tosses Patrick Reed's $750M lawsuit against his tormentors and joint tortfeasors.

https://golfweek.usatoday.com/2022/1...ce=parsely-api

But it's not over! His lawyer is a Dukie and sounds like a piece of work.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Klayman

Silly season. Hero Challenge winner gets $1M, 7th gets $115K, 10th gets $110K, 20th gets $100K. Not much incentive today if you've fallen out of the top 5.

https://golfweek.usatoday.com/2022/1...money-payouts/

I don't mean to revive this thread but an interesting story on the founding of the LIV tour with some not-so-veiled criticism of McKinsey and Co. and the advice they provided to Saudia Arabia.

https://dnyuz.com/2022/12/11/confide...d-assumptions/

Good to see that Will Zalatoris, who hurt his back (two herniated discs) after winning the 1st event of the playoffs last year, is back playing and appears fully recovered. Back injuries are never a good thing and can wreck a golf career.

In an audacious display of hypocrisy, the PGA is going to be allowing a few players 'releases' to play in the Saudi International Open, according to Golfweek.