Thread: iPad Question

iPad Question

I have an iPhone and iMac, both of which I use all the time and a very old and non updatable iPad.
    Can get a new 64K iPad for $280, 9th generation. More for the 256K version.

What is the downside to this purchase? I plan to use it for for photo editing on trips otherwise pretty light usage.

Thanks
    SoCal

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDukeFan View Post
    I have an iPhone and iMac, both of which I use all the time and a very old and non updatable iPad.

What is the downside to this purchase? I plan to use it for for photo editing on trips otherwise pretty light usage.

Thanks
    SoCal
    I like my iPad for travel and went with the cheap one. Very functional for the money

Thanks
    SoCal
    I went with the slightly more expensive one because of the non-glare glass. But to be honest I don't know if that matters under normal viewing conditions.

Btw I also have a very old iPad that works but the battery is pretty shot - it drains after an hour or two of use and will even drain out after a few hours of non-use. I don't use it anymore but I'm not sure what to do with it. Keep it as an emergency backup? Sell it for a few dollars on one of those buy-back sites?

Thanks
    SoCal
    If you don't mind me asking, downside verses what? That's a very good price on a very good tablet. Sure the Air and Pro models are better but I would not say they are worth twice or triple the price if you don't need the extra features. The 9th gen design is a bit dated and I think it's the only model with Touch ID. There should be a redesigned version coming in the fall but there is always something new around the corner. If you download a lot of apps, movies, music, or photos 64GB might too small. Check your iPhone storage and see if you have a lot or little space to give yourself an idea. I prefer to get the most storage I can afford because I like to keep music, movies and shows from Netflix/iTunes for travel. I've found it's better to load up at home for air travel and not have to worry about buggy WiFi. You can get a cheaper Android, Amazon Fire, or even Windows tablet but the iPad will be better. The OS is still the best for a tablet. Also since you have a Mac you can use an iPad as a second screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    I went with the slightly more expensive one because of the non-glare glass. But to be honest I don't know if that matters under normal viewing conditions.

Btw I also have a very old iPad that works but the battery is pretty shot - it drains after an hour or two of use and will even drain out after a few hours of non-use. I don't use it anymore but I'm not sure what to do with it. Keep it as an emergency backup? Sell it for a few dollars on one of those buy-back sites?
    If you buy stuff directly from Apple they have a trade in program. It might be eligible. You might find a local shop to replace the battery for cheap. Or you can make a digital photo frame. I did that for my grandmother. I used a right handed lightning cable, some electrical tape, it's old folio case and Slideshow. I setup an iCloud account and the family uploads pictures to it. The only problem is that it has to stay on all the time.
    Last edited by Kdogg; 08-29-2022 at 08:18 PM.

What kdogg said. It’s good enough, and very good compared to the competition.

I asked

To see if anyone said that it would be outdated next month or that something more expensive was well worth it.

Plan to get one in next few days. Thanks for the input.

Only question is memory.

To see if anyone said that it would be outdated next month or that something more expensive was well worth it.

Plan to get one in next few days. Thanks for the input.

Only question is memory.
    Apple supports their models for years so it won't really be outdated but a new one is supposed to released by mid October. It's going to be a design change to bring it in line with the other models. Expect a CPU bump, maybe the Home Button gets removed and Touch ID moves to the power button.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    … maybe the Home Button gets removed and Touch ID moves to the power button.
    My current iPad Air is like that: Touch Id on the power button and no home button. Frankly not a fan of this “improvement.” Reaching the power button, especially when using an iPad case, is a bit awkward. But it’s a tradeoff - getting rid of home button allows for thinner bezel, slightly increased screen size.