Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: US Open 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Saw the first couple of sets but then bailed. What a match. There was a LOT of debate about Cilic's foot placement on his serve/foot faulting. The thing that's bizarre to me is Cilic is a VERY seasoned player, so has he always done that or was something "different" about this match? Basically, he'd start when bouncing the ball with his foot slightly on the line. He'd then move his foot slightly BACK to be behind the line as he "starts his motion" backward with his arm/racquet. The debate that was raging is what defines the "start of service motion" as that apparently is in the rulebook as a footfault if your foot is on the line. And if he's on the line slightly but then just RAISES his toe to be above the line, is that a foot fault? Seems like there wasn't total consensus. But didn't understand why he'd take the risk to make it so close when he could just stand literally one inch further back. Maybe he changed in later sets. He was trying to explain his rationale/why it's not a foot fault to the chair umpire. They seemed to give him the benefit of the doubt as long as he moved his toe/heel to behind the line prior to him taking his racquet back.

My other observation from the match - they hit the ball HARD. Man, some of those groundies were just crushed. Like Marat Safin...
    I agree about the foot fault issue. I know that tennis players tend to be extreme creatures of habit, but he really only needed to move his foot under an inch to avoid any doubts. It seems like he has clearly spent a lot of time thinking about this as he had a detailed explanation, but as you said, why risk it? I generally like the commentators a lot and I understand why this needed to be discussed, but it started to become a bit of an obsession and took away from the match (I only made it through about one set).

Watching Kyrgios vs. Khachanov. Entertaining match thus far with them splitting sets, great serving. Kyrgios was seemingly injured earlier and called a trainer but has seemed fine since.

Crowd seems heavily on Krygios' side interestingly. He certainly tries to entertain with between the leg shots and other things. I wonder if he has a large contingent or if simply the NYC crowd isn't into rooting for his opponent who is Russian. Or, they wanted Kyrgios to win the second given he lost the first.

Krygios' first serve percentage is like 75% and it's not like he's just spinning it in, he's serving bombs. He's certainly "being himself" with some usual antics and the like.

Watching Kyrgios vs. Khachanov. Entertaining match thus far with them splitting sets, great serving. Kyrgios was seemingly injured earlier and called a trainer but has seemed fine since.

Crowd seems heavily on Krygios' side interestingly. He certainly tries to entertain with between the leg shots and other things. I wonder if he has a large contingent or if simply the NYC crowd isn't into rooting for his opponent who is Russian. Or, they wanted Kyrgios to win the second given he lost the first.

Krygios' first serve percentage is like 75% and it's not like he's just spinning it in, he's serving bombs. He's certainly "being himself" with some usual antics and the like.
    Well, Kyrgios fell short in 5 sets after taking the 4th in a breaker. First semifinal in a major for Khachanov who frankly has had a pretty bad season. Since April, his record is 16-14 on tour. But he turned it on for sure -- probably the best he's ever played. Kyrgios had his usual ups and downs...I'll be cheering for the Norwegian, Ruud, certainly in the next matchup, who should be the heavy favorite. There haven't been many (any?) greats in the modern era from Norway...Sweden certainly has Borg.

Well, Kyrgios fell short in 5 sets after taking the 4th in a breaker. First semifinal in a major for Khachanov who frankly has had a pretty bad season. Since April, his record is 16-14 on tour. But he turned it on for sure -- probably the best he's ever played. Kyrgios had his usual ups and downs...I'll be cheering for the Norwegian, Ruud, certainly in the next matchup, who should be the heavy favorite. There haven't been many (any?) greats in the modern era from Norway...Sweden certainly has Borg.
    Either Ruud or Alcaraz could take over the men’s #1 spot depending on how the rest of the tourney goes. Either would get there by making the finals (unless the other wins the whole thing). Would be nice to see some new blood at the top of the rankings.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    Either Ruud or Alcaraz could take over the men’s #1 spot depending on how the rest of the tourney goes. Either would get there by making the finals (unless the other wins the whole thing). Would be nice to see some new blood at the top of the rankings.
    Yep! Obviously, the fact that Djokovic got zero points for winning Wimbledon (as the ATP/WTA determined points shouldn't be given out due to the Russia player ban at Wimbledon) and did not compete in the Aussie or U.S. Open (or ANY U.S.-based tournaments this year) is a huge factor in that. But still, fun to see new faces rise to the top after there's been the same three guys for quite some time...But if the algorithm was about playing record win/loss as opposed to the volume of matches/total points, Djoker would still be a clear #1, I suspect.

Tiafoe through to the semis! First American male to do it since 2006. He saved a set point in the first, won the breaker, took the second set breaker 7-0, then served out the third at 5-4 for the victory. His reactions are also just so enthusiastic -- he seems to be having fun out there!

Iga continues her exceptional 2022. Third time making at least the semis in a major (with one championship already under her belt) and a 19-2 record in the majors so far. A final four of Jabeur-Garcia and Swiatek-Sabalenka is a pretty strong lineup to finish off the Open.

A benefit of being on the west coast is that it’s easier to stay up late for prime time tennis. Totally spoiled by Alcaraz-Sinner, which is going to go down as a classic. 4:28 into the match and we’re just starting the 5th set at 2:04 am ET. Still a pretty crowded house in Ashe (definitely backing Alcaraz). Fantastic tennis.

The Sinner-Alcaraz match was one of the best tennis matches I’ve ever seen. The quality of play and the heart both players exhibited over 5+ hours was unbelievable. I predict Alcarez will be winning a lot of majors over the next 15 years. Maybe the most.

Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    I predict Alcarez will be winning a lot of majors over the next 15 years. Maybe the most.
    Getting to 23 or 24 is a big ask of anyone. I just don't think it's likely considering that several of his contemporaries (Sinner for example) are at his level. Not that it couldn't happen, it just seems awfully remote.

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    Iga continues her exceptional 2022. Third time making at least the semis in a major (with one championship already under her belt) and a 19-2 record in the majors so far. A final four of Jabeur-Garcia and Swiatek-Sabalenka is a pretty strong lineup to finish off the Open.
    Pegula played really well, and Iga still rolled right over her. Their toe-to-toes from the baseline were really fun to watch. I had to catch highlights on the Sinner-Alcaraz slugfest. This old guy can't stay up until 3:00am watching tennis, or really anything. My wife was sawing wood through the first set (but don't tell her I said so!).

Quote Originally Posted by howardlander View Post
    Getting to 23 or 24 is a big ask of anyone. I just don't think it's likely considering that several of his contemporaries (Sinner for example) are at his level. Not that it couldn't happen, it just seems awfully remote.
    My late night prose wasn’t clear - I was saying I thought he has a decent chance of winning more majors in the next 15 years than anyone else in that same period, not more than anyone ever.

And by decent chance I mean he would have the best odds among the many candidates. So my fromunda estimate of his accomplishing this would be maybe say 20% (you know what fromunda estimates are, right?), with all other current players less than that.

Why do I think this? First is the fact that he is this good at this age. I’m not just talking about results - tennis is littered with young players who go on a hot streak and then fade away. I am talking about how he is winning. As impressive as his skill is that doesn’t set him apart. Many amazingly skilled young players out there. For example Sinner. Last night Sinner played an absolutely masterful game, probably the best he can play. He was a more dominant server (although too many double faults) and had an incredibly powerful baseline game. He was also mentally tough as nails, staving off break point after break point, emerging from the ashes repeatedly.

All of that made it even more amazing to see 19yo Alcarez beat this uber-talented,
    in form, fight to the death Sinner.

How did he do it? First Alcarez was even tougher mentally. Alcarez blew an easy match point that would gave put him up 2-0, and then lost the set. He then fought his axx off to overcome a big deficit in the 3rd set to reach the tiebreaker - to then see Sinner smoke him 7-0. McEnroe thought it was over at that point. The psychological beating Alcarez was enduring would break most mortals. But Alcarez somehow wins set 4. But then in set 5 he falls behind again and faces several break points that would effectively end his hopes. Si niw he us facing yet another uphill battle after 4 1/2 hours of play, and it is against a player who has already beaten him 3 times this year.

But like Sinner earlier, he just refused to cry uncle. And both players were still attacking each other relentlessly with full power shots even in the 4th and 5th hour. No one took a safe shot, no one took a play off. On the mental toughness side I would score it Sinner A+, Alcarez A++.

But IMO there was one simple reason that tilted this tight match in Alcarez’s favor - his superior athleticism. He is just faster and stronger and can physically pull off plays that Sinner can only dream of. And if Alcarez is winning these physical battles already at age 19?? Well I would buy shares if this player if I could. The sky is the limit. Or is it the roof?
    Last edited by Skydog; 09-08-2022 at 12:03 PM.

Arrow

Really pulling for Tiafoe. Only 24! He is a beast. We need another great American tennis player, especially on the men’s side. We are due for us Americans. I really liked Roddick but his career was kind of a dud overall. No offense. He did make a lot of money so food for him. Mardy Fish was another I had high hopes for.

If you haven’t watched the Mardy Fish documentary on Netflix, it is great. He battled serious mental health issues during his career. Poor guy.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    Really pulling for Tiafoe. Only 24! He is a beast. We need another great American tennis player, especially on the men’s side. We are due for us Americans. I really liked Roddick but his career was kind of a dud overall. No offense. He did make a lot of money so food for him. Mardy Fish was another I had high hopes for.

If you haven’t watched the Mardy Fish documentary on Netflix, it is great. He battled serious mental health issues during his career. Poor guy.
    Gotta defend Andy here a bit as individual sport athletes are judged totally differently than team sports. Yes, he didn't win many majors (only the 1) because he had Federer in his way...but he was ranked in the year-end top 10 for nine consecutive years (2002–2010)! And he reached #1 in the world. It's equivalent to somebody who is second team All NBA. This year, that was Durant, Curry, DeRozan, Embiid, and Morant. Last year, it was LeBron, Chris Paul, Lillard, Embiid and Randle. I don't think anybody would call those guys "duds." But not singling you out as tennis players are judged by major titles often. But being the top 10 in the world for that long is quite a feat. It's just that tennis players are judged by a different standard.

Gotta defend Andy here a bit as individual sport athletes are judged totally differently than team sports. Yes, he didn't win many majors (only the 1) because he had Federer in his way...but he was ranked in the year-end top 10 for nine consecutive years (2002–2010)! And he reached #1 in the world. It's equivalent to somebody who is second team All NBA. This year, that was Durant, Curry, DeRozan, Embiid, and Morant. Last year, it was LeBron, Chris Paul, Lillard, Embiid and Randle. I don't think anybody would call those guys "duds." But not singling you out as tennis players are judged by major titles often. But being the top 10 in the world for that long is quite a feat. It's just that tennis players are judged by a different standard.
    No doubt. Injuries hurt his career too. I seem to remember he had back issues. Definitely top 11-12ish American men’s tennis player ever. Some of his bigger fans may argue top 10. I think the hype he got coming up in the junior ranks made me think he’d have a lot better career than he ended up having. Like you said, he had a very good career but it seemed like to me compared to the hype he got, his career kinda fizzled out and didn’t amount to as much as I thought it would have.

Tiafoe had a great run but it looks like it’s finally coming to an end. He has met his match in the Spaniard Alcarez. Boy was it a fun run watching Tiafoe. He has a bright future ahead. And congrats to Alcarez for advancing to the US Open final which it looks like he’ll do.

Tiafoe had a great run but it looks like it’s finally coming to an end. He has met his match in the Spaniard Alcarez. Boy was it a fun run watching Tiafoe. He has a bright future ahead. And congrats to Alcarez for advancing to the US Open final which it looks like he’ll do.
    Well now Tiafoe forces a fifth set. This is one entertaining tennis match! I may have been premature in calling this one - Tiafoe may win! Wow!

Not so fast. Fifth set! Still think Alcaraz has the edge but it should be exciting. So much for getting to sleep early tonight!

Alcaraz JUST missed that forehand to give him set point. Tiafoe has been clutch in the breakers. You gotta think Alcaraz has the edge but you never know in a 5th set and the crowd may give Tiafoe the edge he needs.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Not so fast. Fifth set! Still think Alcaraz has the edge but it should be exciting. So much for getting to sleep early tonight!
    Tiafoe is 8-0 in tiebreakers this 2022 US Open. That’s never been done before. He is showing some legitimate heart and grit.