Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: US Open 2022

We saw a lot of good tennis today. The Alcaraz-Baez match was some of the best tennis I have seen. They had some very long points with drop shots, lobs, net play and powerful baseline shots. It was a shame that Baez got injured on one of those long rallies. We also watched Rublev, Sinner, Dmitrov and several more. The food options, while expensive, have continued to improve. And while I didn’t have tickets to the night session, I did get to watch Nadal on the practice court. Fun day!

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Yay Serena!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Yay Serena!
    I second that!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Highlights
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Highlights
    It was LOUD! I will say for those that haven't been in person to a top notch tennis match, that, to me, it's a much more intense environment watching tennis matches than a typical basketball game (as an example) because EVERYONE is quiet and focused during the points. There's no half-watching/half-chatting/half listening to music/entertainment. The crowd is FOCUSED on the match and that silence and then eruption after points really gives quite a feeling. (Of course, I have been in the student section in Duke basketball games and that clearly is an intense/loud environment too. I'm more talking about regular season NBA games as a comparison...).

This win certainly sets up Serena nicely as she "inherits" the #2 seed's draw with the victory. I'd still put her odds at winning it all as unlikely, but obviously, Serena has done this rodeo before and if she can get close to her peak performance, then she can/should beat anybody. Hard to know if she'll be able to maintain the level or if she'll dropoff at some point as she hasn't been playing all that much in tournaments lately.

Serena played really well, but I think the crowd deserves at least partial credit for her victory. I felt for Kontaveit, as I think it had to be extremely difficult to deal with the crowd that was cheering her mistakes, and was completely (and loudly) behind her opponent.

Quote Originally Posted by Tooold View Post
    Serena played really well, but I think the crowd deserves at least partial credit for her victory. I felt for Kontaveit, as I think it had to be extremely difficult to deal with the crowd that was cheering her mistakes, and was completely (and loudly) behind her opponent.
    I have been on both sides of the coin on this in tennis matches, and definitely got impacted both ways. But I'm not close to a professional. But they're still human...so I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    I have been on both sides of the coin on this in tennis matches, and definitely got impacted both ways. But I'm not close to a professional. But they're still human...so I agree.
    Same here. I have played in quite a few Club Championships and USTA matches. Having a loud crowd cheer against me was very, very difficult for me. And while I also am not close to a professional (so obviously less used to dealing with crowds), I also was older than these pros and therefore (in theory) more mature. By the final game Kontaveit seemed close to tears and looked like she just wanted to get off the court.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    It was LOUD! I will say for those that haven't been in person to a top notch tennis match, that, to me, it's a much more intense environment watching tennis matches than a typical basketball game (as an example) because EVERYONE is quiet and focused during the points. There's no half-watching/half-chatting/half listening to music/entertainment. The crowd is FOCUSED on the match and that silence and then eruption after points really gives quite a feeling. (Of course, I have been in the student section in Duke basketball games and that clearly is an intense/loud environment too. I'm more talking about regular season NBA games as a comparison...).

This win certainly sets up Serena nicely as she "inherits" the #2 seed's draw with the victory. I'd still put her odds at winning it all as unlikely, but obviously, Serena has done this rodeo before and if she can get close to her peak performance, then she can/should beat anybody. Hard to know if she'll be able to maintain the level or if she'll dropoff at some point as she hasn't been playing all that much in tournaments lately.
    Your post reminded me of catching a round of Davis Cup matches years ago in Winston Salem. TOTALLY different tennis atmosphere, with flag waving, horns, even mini cheerleader cones (which they hand out as encouragement). Similar to a soccer match with a tennis net in the way.
    It's like the whole arena is thinking about that SNL skit.
    "Know what this match needs? More cowbell!"
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Your post reminded me of catching a round of Davis Cup matches years ago in Winston Salem. TOTALLY different tennis atmosphere, with flag waving, horns, even mini cheerleader cones (which they hand out as encouragement). Similar to a soccer match with a tennis net in the way.
    It's like the whole arena is thinking about that SNL skit.
    "Know what this match needs? More cowbell!"
    Yep, I experienced the same at the Laver Cup at the United Center in Chicago. Great fun. Europe vs "the world". Matches are shorter (team tennis format) and basically all came down to the wire. Top players showed up too.

Quote Originally Posted by Tooold View Post
    Same here. I have played in quite a few Club Championships and USTA matches. Having a loud crowd cheer against me was very, very difficult for me. And while I also am not close to a professional (so obviously less used to dealing with crowds), I also was older than these pros and therefore (in theory) more mature. By the final game Kontaveit seemed close to tears and looked like she just wanted to get off the court.
    She apparently broke down in tears during the press conference:
    https://youtu.be/f-6xphPhuew

"I mean, it was hard … it was something I never experienced before. I don’t think it’s a personal attack against me or anything. I mean, it’s fair. I definitely had no shame losing to Serena. It was very difficult with the crowd.”
    Last edited by -jk; 09-01-2022 at 09:18 PM. Reason: link

She apparently broke down in tears during the press conference:
    https://youtu.be/f-6xphPhuew

"I mean, it was hard … it was something I never experienced before. I don’t think it’s a personal attack against me or anything. I mean, it’s fair. I definitely had no shame losing to Serena. It was very difficult with the crowd.”
    It’s like playing against Roger, anywhere n the world.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    It’s like playing against Roger, anywhere n the world.
    Roger is definitely well liked but this was another level of crowd intensity including raucous cheers when Kontaveit made mistakes like double faulting which is usually frowned upon in tennis fandom (not saying it was wrong in this case as it's a unique circumstance but it's definitely anomalous and could get into the head of the opponent).

Roger is definitely well liked but this was another level of crowd intensity including raucous cheers when Kontaveit made mistakes like double faulting which is usually frowned upon in tennis fandom (not saying it was wrong in this case as it's a unique circumstance but it's definitely anomalous and could get into the head of the opponent).
    If you won't, I will. Cheering for opponent errors is bush league and classless.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    If you won't, I will. Cheering for opponent errors is bush league and classless.
    But remember where this is being played. I’m not surprised at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    Fair enough. I think among tennis purists it's "wrong" but Serena has brought out a lot of other fans/celebrities to the tennis world which was represented in Ashe Stadium. And given the circumstances of Serena's potential last match, I can understand the crowd being particularly passionate. We cheer when UNC misses a FT in Cameron...but as a tennis player/fan myself, it definitely feels a bit odd.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    But remember where this is being played. I’m not surprised at all.
    Your constant anti-NY/North sentiment is also bush league and classless. But consistent.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Your constant anti-NY/North sentiment is also bush league and classless. But consistent.
    New Yorkers gladly embrace the type of passion/cheering that went on. I wasn’t taking a shot, just expressing a fact.

Roger is definitely well liked...
    You can say that again and with gusto. An elegant, cultured gentleman who always shows sportsmanship and grace, win or lose. Sometimes I wonder where that's gone in big time sports today.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    You can say that again and with gusto. An elegant, cultured gentleman who always shows sportsmanship and grace, win or lose. Sometimes I wonder where that's gone in big time sports today.
    Agreed. Hate to see Roger coming to the end of his career because I’m not sure who’s coming up behind him that will express that same sportsmanship and grace. Not that other top players are horrible or anything. But Roger definitely had really good sports manners. And that is in short supply these days.