Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

2022 Fantasy Football Season.

It was last year that Acymetric started the thread for the 2021 season, so I thought I would get an idea from some DBR NFL fans that play fantasy football on what your draft strategy is going to be. How long do you wait to draft a QB, how many RBs and WRs do you draft early. I'm in a 10 team PPR league and I usually draft RBs first, followed by WRs. I know last season Acymetric, CDu, kshepinthehouse and rasputin had teams. Any suggestions?

I'm actually not lined up to be in a fantasy league for the first time in probably 12 years or so. I debated gauging interest in a DBR league, but then got busy with life and obviously did not do that.

I wait as long as possible on QB usually, I feel confident I can find a serviceable starter or streamer even in the final rounds (but if someone elite drops really far I will snag them up, no hard rule there just kind of gut feel in the moment). Prefer QB and TE to be the last position player slots I fill most of the time. Usually I will also have 2-3 bench spots filled before I draft either (but again, if someone falls...)

Other than that, if the draft falls the right way in a 2 RB + Flex league (even with 3 WR) I am happy draft 3 RBs in the first 3 rounds (no reaching though!) and have won multiple leagues that way. Makes you much more resilient to RB injury in leagues where waiver pickings at the position are slim and gives you a killer flex option (plus helps smooth RB bye weeks). High potential WR can be found throughout the draft but RBs dry up fast.

^Oh, a 3RB draft also puts you in a good spot for trades when someone inevitably needs an RB down the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I'm actually not lined up to be in a fantasy league for the first time in probably 12 years or so. I debated gauging interest in a DBR league, but then got busy with life and obviously did not do that.

I wait as long as possible on QB usually, I feel confident I can find a serviceable starter or streamer even in the final rounds (but if someone elite drops really far I will snag them up, no hard rule there just kind of gut feel in the moment). Prefer QB and TE to be the last position player slots I fill most of the time. Usually I will also have 2-3 bench spots filled before I draft either (but again, if someone falls...)

Other than that, if the draft falls the right way in a 2 RB + Flex league (even with 3 WR) I am happy draft 3 RBs in the first 3 rounds (no reaching though!) and have won multiple leagues that way. Makes you much more resilient to RB injury in leagues where waiver pickings at the position are slim and gives you a killer flex option (plus helps smooth RB bye weeks). High potential WR can be found throughout the draft but RBs dry up fast.
    This ^ has been my strategy in past seasons. I have already entered two leagues, but both of these leagues allow 8 RBS and 8 WRs. That puts a high value on RBs. The first draft I selected 5th and got these RBs: N. Harris, Mixon, Gibson, Edmonds, Henderson. I got these WRs: AJ Brown, M. Evans, M. Thomas, C, Kirk, J. Dotson and Tolbert. I got Russell Wilson in the 7th round and Carr in the 11th round.
    In the second draft, I went the early QB route( Josh Allen) and I think I messed up by doing that. I got these RBS: Henry, Chubb, Sanders, Gordon and Mack. I got these WRs: AJ Brown, McLaurin, Robinson, Burks and Sky Moore. I got Hockenson, TE in both drafts and got Knox as a second TE. I have dropped him and picked up Brian Robinson RB for Washington as it looks like Coach Rivera is not happy with Gibson's fumbles. My favorite league is drafting Tuesday night and I think that I'm going to wait on a QB. We can have 4 RBS and 5 WRs in this league. There should be a few more RBs to choose from. Last year I won the regular season but when Henry went down, I lost 4 games in a row. I finished 3rd in the playoffs.
    Thanks for the information. I hope you get into a fantasy league. I like to hear from you guys as the seasons progresses.

Kind of depends on my draft spot but I wait till round 8 at the absolute earliest for QB. Grab a rb in round 1 or 2, pound out 4 or 5 wrs then start grabbing rbs until the end of the draft. Mix in a tight end or 2 around round 10 or later.

My usual construction this year

In full ppr and with an early pick I go for an early tight end (Kittle, Andrews, Waller, Pitts) at the end of the 2nd to the end of the 4th. So ideally I go RB, WR, Andrews, wr, wr, wr, rb, rb, qb, te/rb, te/rb, on and on
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    Kind of depends on my draft spot but I wait till round 8 at the absolute earliest for QB. Grab a rb in round 1 or 2, pound out 4 or 5 wrs then start grabbing rbs until the end of the draft. Mix in a tight end or 2 around round 10 or later.

My usual construction this year

In full ppr and with an early pick I go for an early tight end (Kittle, Andrews, Waller, Pitts) at the end of the 2nd to the end of the 4th. So ideally I go RB, WR, Andrews, wr, wr, wr, rb, rb, qb, te/rb, te/rb, on and on
    What limitations are on RB and WR picks in your league? Is there a cap? I agree your draft position does make a difference. It looks like this season there may be better wide receivers than good RBs. Another question just popped into my mind. What's your feeling of Barkley and McCaffrey. I think CMC is a risk-reward pick and Barkley behind that Giants OL is an injury waiting to happen.

Glad to see this thread. After playing for decades I took the last 2 years off. My best friends son asked if I'd join his league to fill it out. Hard to say no to the 'kids' (he's a sophomore at Clemson). My best friend and I are going to work together...we will see how that goes.

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    Glad to see this thread. After playing for decades I took the last 2 years off. My best friends son asked if I'd join his league to fill it out. Hard to say no to the 'kids' (he's a sophomore at Clemson). My best friend and I are going to work together...we will see how that goes.
    Good luck and glad you're back.

Getting my act together late this year. Hoping to play in my usual two leagues, gonna see about a third (but most likely won't happen).

Gotta catch up on my analysis.

I usually draft VERY heavy on RB in the first 5-6 rounds. Like, if I don't have 4 RBs through 6 rounds, it's a surprise. With the risk of injury at RB and general depth at WR, I'm happier having a really deep RB position. I'm obviously happy to wait on QB and TE, and in the middle rounds I tend to hammer the WR position.

Not sure what my strategy will be this year, but it'll probably not deviate too much from that.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Getting my act together late this year. Hoping to play in my usual two leagues, gonna see about a third (but most likely won't happen).

Gotta catch up on my analysis.

I usually draft VERY heavy on RB in the first 5-6 rounds. Like, if I don't have 4 RBs through 6 rounds, it's a surprise. With the risk of injury at RB and general depth at WR, I'm happier having a really deep RB position. I'm obviously happy to wait on QB and TE, and in the middle rounds I tend to hammer the WR position.

Not sure what my strategy will be this year, but it'll probably not deviate too much from that.
    The strategy for drafting RBs early makes a lot of sense. As you mentioned there's a lot of injuries to RBs and with a stable of good RBs, trades are possible later in the season.

As it turns out, I am in two leagues this season. My long running college league is a go and my (extended) family league is entering its second season...first draft is tonight and I have done 0 prep, wish me luck!

As it turns out, I am in two leagues this season. My long running college league is a go and my (extended) family league is entering its second season...first draft is tonight and I have done 0 prep, wish me luck!
    Good luck indeed! My first draft is looking like Thursday night. Despite that, I STILL might not get in any prep .

Well, with absolutely no idea what the heck is going on, here is how things shook out in a 10 team, 3WR/2RB/Flex league (half PPR). I kept trying to go WR but the ones I wanted kept getting taken just before it came back to me, so I'll probably have some work to do there. Had the 4th pick. Not real excited, but I did get some good players.

1. (4) Christian McCaffrey
    2. (17) Stefon Diggs
    3. (24) Javonte Williams
    4. (37) Josh Allen
    5. (44) David Montgomery
    6. (57) Darren Waller
    7. (64) Brandin Cooks
    8. (77) Damien Harris
    9. (84) Brandon Aiyuk
    10. (97) Rhamondre Stevenson
    11. (104) Kareem Hunt
    12. (117) Julio Jones
    13. (124) Chase Claypool
    14. (137) Tyler Boyd
    15. (144) Kadarius Toney
    16. (157) Indianapolis
    17. (164) Ryan Succop
    18. (177) Jamison Crowder

Well, with absolutely no idea what the heck is going on, here is how things shook out in a 10 team, 3WR/2RB/Flex league (half PPR). I kept trying to go WR but the ones I wanted kept getting taken just before it came back to me, so I'll probably have some work to do there. Had the 4th pick. Not real excited, but I did get some good players.

1. (4) Christian McCaffrey
    2. (17) Stefon Diggs
    3. (24) Javonte Williams
    4. (37) Josh Allen
    5. (44) David Montgomery
    6. (57) Darren Waller
    7. (64) Brandin Cooks
    8. (77) Damien Harris
    9. (84) Brandon Aiyuk
    10. (97) Rhamondre Stevenson
    11. (104) Kareem Hunt
    12. (117) Julio Jones
    13. (124) Chase Claypool
    14. (137) Tyler Boyd
    15. (144) Kadarius Toney
    16. (157) Indianapolis
    17. (164) Ryan Succop
    18. (177) Jamison Crowder
    Looks like you did well, especially with no prep. Your biggest question mark is McCaffrey's health, but you got some other RBs that are good backups. I had picked up Brian Robinson, RB for Washington, but he was shot in the leg multiple times during a carjacking. He may have beaten out Gibson for the lead back role, but now his future is uncertain. My favorite league draft is tonight. Wish me luck.

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Looks like you did well, especially with no prep. Your biggest question mark is McCaffrey's health, but you got some other RBs that are good backups. I had picked up Brian Robinson, RB for Washington, but he was shot in the leg multiple times during a carjacking. He may have beaten out Gibson for the lead back role, but now his future is uncertain. My favorite league draft is tonight. Wish me luck.
    Good luck! That is a bad break with Robinson (although obviously a considerably worse break for him, hope he is able to recover).

The more I look at my roster the happier I am with it. Would have liked to do better at WR but I have some decent options there. CMC is definitely an injury risk, I am familiar with that both as a Panthers fan and a fantasy player unfortunately, but I just didn't feel like I could pass him up. Hopefully he stays healthy this year!

Good luck! That is a bad break with Robinson (although obviously a considerably worse break for him, hope he is able to recover).

The more I look at my roster the happier I am with it. Would have liked to do better at WR but I have some decent options there. CMC is definitely an injury risk, I am familiar with that both as a Panthers fan and a fantasy player unfortunately, but I just didn't feel like I could pass him up. Hopefully he stays healthy this year!
    I see you went with a QB (Allen) in the 4th round. I've done just that in the last two seasons, and I ended up with good QBs. I'm thinking of doing that tonight, but I might change my mind by then.

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    I see you went with a QB (Allen) in the 4th round. I've done just that in the last two seasons, and I ended up with good QBs. I'm thinking of doing that tonight, but I might change my mind by then.
    How did your draft turn out? Go with a QB in the 4th?

I had me second draft last night, picked 8th out of 12 (I hate the middle picks, never having two picks close together means it is really hard to project who will still be available at your next pick), the team could be good if my running backs pan out. I like Watkins in Green Bay as a flier. I probably reached a little on Kittle but TE is such a mess this year I just wanted to take someone I could feel comfortable with.

QB: Matthew Stafford - 9 (104)
    WR: Ja'Marr Chase - 1 (8)
    WR: Michael Pittman - 3 (32)
    WR: Amon-Ra St. Brown - 6 (65)
    RB: D'Andre Swift - 2 (17)
    RB: Josh Jacobs - 5 (56)
    TE: George Kittle - 4 (41)
    Flex: Antonio gibson - 7 (80)
    K: Tyler Bass - 14 (161)
    D/ST: Indianapolis - 13 (152)

Bench:
    Devin Singletary - 8 (89)
    Chase Claypool - 10 (113)
    Tyler Boyd - 11 (128)
    Rachaad White - 12 (137)
    Sammy Watkins - 15 (176)
    Jamison Crowder - 16 (185)

So I am gonna end up in 3 leagues most likely. Two are 10-team standard leagues, one is an 8-team PPR (yuck, all around on that one). I have done drafts in 2 of the 3 leagues, and this is what I got:

10-Team Standard (9th pick):
    1.9: Cook
    2.2: Kamara
    3.9: David Montgomery
    4.2: AJ Brown
    5.9: Mahomes
    6.2: Eli Mitchell
    7.9: Amari Cooper
    8.2: Michael Thomas
    9.9: Christian Kirk
    10.2: Aiyuk
    11.9: Kadarius Toney
    12.2: Alexander Mattison
    13.9: Hunter Henry
    14.2: Saints D/ST
    15.9: Mark Ingram
    16.2: Daniel Carlson

8-Team PPR (5th pick):
    1.5: Ekeler
    2.4: Davante Adams
    3.5: Kelce
    4.4: Keenan Allen
    5.5: Michael Pittman
    6.4: Travis Etienne
    7.5: David Montgomery
    8.4: Josh Jacobs
    9.5: Diontae Johnson
    10.4: Amon-Ra St. Brown
    11.5: Hurts
    12.4: Antonio Gibson
    13.5: Miles Sanders
    14.4: Saints D/ST
    15.5: Prater

Neither draft went how I usually do things. I typically load up on RB early, but went away from that a bit this time. In the PPR league, that was intentional, as WR are more valuable there than in standard leagues. But in my first league, the value just never felt quite right on RB in the middle rounds.

My third league (if it happens) will draft tonight. That one will probably see me go RB heavy.

How did your draft turn out? Go with a QB in the 4th?

I had me second draft last night, picked 8th out of 12 (I hate the middle picks, never having two picks close together means it is really hard to project who will still be available at your next pick), the team could be good if my running backs pan out. I like Watkins in Green Bay as a flier. I probably reached a little on Kittle but TE is such a mess this year I just wanted to take someone I could feel comfortable with.

QB: Matthew Stafford - 9 (104)
    WR: Ja'Marr Chase - 1 (8)
    WR: Michael Pittman - 3 (32)
    WR: Amon-Ra St. Brown - 6 (65)
    RB: D'Andre Swift - 2 (17)
    RB: Josh Jacobs - 5 (56)
    TE: George Kittle - 4 (41)
    Flex: Antonio gibson - 7 (80)
    K: Tyler Bass - 14 (161)
    D/ST: Indianapolis - 13 (152)

Bench:
    Devin Singletary - 8 (89)
    Chase Claypool - 10 (113)
    Tyler Boyd - 11 (128)
    Rachaad White - 12 (137)
    Sammy Watkins - 15 (176)
    Jamison Crowder - 16 (185)
    My draft:
    8th pick= Mixon, rb
    13th pick= Swift, rb,
    28th pick= Pittman, wr
    33rd pick= AJ Brown, wr
    48th pick= Kyler Murray, qb..Allen, Herbert, Mahomes and Jackson off the board in that order.
    53rd pick= Gibson (knew Robinson was out)
    68th pick= Pierce, rb
    73rd pick= Kirk, wr
    88th pick= Knox, TE
    93rd pick= Prescott (backup in case Murray is injured)
    108th pick= Aiyuk, wr
    113rd pick= Bills D
    128th pick= Butker, K
    133rd pick= Perryman DP
    148th pick= Olave, wr
    153rd pick= Fant, TE
    Since the draft, I dropped Olave and picked up Jameson Williams. I then put him on IR and picked up Gabe Davis off waiver wire. I don't feel great with this team, but anything can happen in fantasy football. This league is half point PPR. The other leagues I'm in favors WR over RBs greatly. The earliest pick I had in any draft was 5th. All ten team leagues.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    So I am gonna end up in 3 leagues most likely. Two are 10-team standard leagues, one is an 8-team PPR (yuck, all around on that one). I have done drafts in 2 of the 3 leagues, and this is what I got:

Neither draft went how I usually do things. I typically load up on RB early, but went away from that a bit this time. In the PPR league, that was intentional, as WR are more valuable there than in standard leagues. But in my first league, the value just never felt quite right on RB in the middle rounds.

My third league (if it happens) will draft tonight. That one will probably see me go RB heavy.
    Don't mean to pick on you, but this post raised a general question that I struggle with in fantasy drafts sometimes. You comment that WRs are more valuable in PPR leagues, and therefore are prioritized in the draft - is that the right way to think about it or not? I always take the approach that you should draft based on "value over replacement player" and scarcity value, not total projected points. For example QBs generally score the most points in absolute terms in most leagues, but since most leagues start only one QB, and the variance between the best and the replacement player is not usually huge, you can always find an adequate QB available on the waiver wire, and therefore using a draft pick early doesn't make sense. Wouldn't this apply to WRs as well (relatively deep position, especially compared to RB), regardless of whether the league is PPR or non-PPR? Compared to my QB example you do have the flex dynamic which is a wrinkle to consider which could cause you to lean WR vs RB, but overall can't you make an argument that draft strategy shouldn't be that different between PPR and non PPR leagues (assuming roster construction is equivalent, etc)? This does not seem to be the common approach so maybe I'm the crazy one.