RIP Julian Robertson

Billionaire investor Julian Robertson died at the age of 90. He was a NC native who went to UNC but endowed the Robertson scholarship which gives 36 full scholarships to students who split their four years between Duke and UNC - his initial seed funding was $24 million and I believe he has added to that.

I randomly met Robertson in a doctor's office waiting room in NY about 5 years ago. I heard the nurse say his name - I work in financial services so knew very well who he was but didn't want to bother him. However, we started chatting and he could not have been a nicer, more down to earth person - he was very friendly to me and everyone working in the office. He had a NC accent so I asked where he was from (knowing the answer very well). I mentioned that I went to Duke and he said he had given Duke a little bit of money despite being a Tar Heel.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/23/b...tson-dead.html

Around a decade ago, he hosted a Duke event in his beautiful apartment overlooking Central Park. We were allowed up in small groups to see his spectacular art collection. He was very gracious and gave me a personal tour, telling me the stories behind his acquisition of some of the paintings. We stood on his balcony and I said, “you must love having your morning coffee out here”. To which he replied, “well, I DO have to work, too!”

Quote Originally Posted by Tooold View Post
    Around a decade ago, he hosted a Duke event in his beautiful apartment overlooking Central Park. We were allowed up in small groups to see his spectacular art collection. He was very gracious and gave me a personal tour, telling me the stories behind his acquisition of some of the paintings. We stood on his balcony and I said, “you must love having your morning coffee out here”. To which he replied, “well, I DO have to work, too!”
    And adding to this, my husband’s favorite memory from that tour was the Picasso in the powder room….

And adding to this, my husband’s favorite memory from that tour was the Picasso in the powder room….
    And where else might you hang it?

Thanks for sharing your great experience!

What was his primary acquisition source (auctions, galleries, private deals, etc.)?