Page 82 of 121 FirstFirst ... 3272808182838492 ... LastLast
Results 1,621 to 1,640 of 2406
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I don't believe that foul tips caught by catcher are outs unless there are too strikes.
    What if there are two strikes?🤓

I don't believe that foul tips caught by catcher are outs unless there are too strikes.
    Correct. A foul tip has different rules than a foul ball. A dropped foul tip with 2 strikes is a dead ball, if it's caught it's strike 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    What if there are two strikes?🤓
    That if their Artoo unit strikes!

Yes - foul tips are not the same as foul balls. A dropped foul tip with two strikes is a dead ball. I believe the rule still is that because a caught strike three foul tip is an out, that you can steal in that situation the same as a swing and a miss.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddylawman View Post
    Yes - foul tips are not the same as foul balls. A dropped foul tip with two strikes is a dead ball. I believe the rule still is that because a caught strike three foul tip is an out, that you can steal in that situation the same as a swing and a miss.
    When would a foul tip graduate to a foul ball. Is it a height/distance thing?

I looked up part of it. A foul tip that isn't caught becomes a foul ball, dead ball. A foul tip that is caught is treated as if it weren't tipped, play on.

But on a caught foul tip you can't double up the guy on first by throwing there. You can on a caught foul ball just like any other caught fly ball.
    Last edited by camion; 06-05-2023 at 10:18 AM.

Two strikes --ugh

I'm thinking that play was ball four. Just bad luck.

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    A foul tip is always a strike; and, unlike a foul ball, a foul tip can result in strike three. A foul tip is a live ball. Runners can advance (steal) at their peril. If the catcher does not catch the ball, then it's a foul ball (dead ball).

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    Not sure if there’s a formal rule but I’ve always thought of it as anything over the batter’s head turns into a foul ball (or, obviously, anything that doesn’t go straight back to the catcher).

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    Not sure if there’s a formal rule but I’ve always thought of it as anything over the batter’s head turns into a foul ball (or, obviously, anything that doesn’t go straight back to the catcher).
    Batters can foul tip the ball off their bodies (typically their feet or shins) and if they’re standing in the batter’s box, it’s a foul ball (dead ball), too.

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    I did some looking and there does not seem to be specific language to describe the difference. Essentially a foul tip follows a similar path as a swinging strike without the tip part (directly back toward the catcher). Until the ball makes contact with something other than the catcher, it can be caught for the 3rd strike.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddylawman View Post
    Correct. A foul tip has different rules than a foul ball. A dropped foul tip with 2 strikes is a dead ball, if it's caught it's strike 3.
    Thanks. My girlfriend was wanting to go for a walk Friday night, and the first game was wrapping up. It was around the 8th inning, and she asked how much longer. I told her that I have no clue.
    "Well how many minutes is an inning?"
    "There's no set time, it just depends on how long it takes to get three outs."

She checked back in at the bottom of the 9th as Duke was pitching. As I sweated it out with the rest of you, she kept asking about how come the batter keeps getting to hit the ball, and why aren't they neither balls nor strikes. I tried to explain foul balls, without much success. "Well he gets two against him, then he gets to hit as many as he wants."

"Well this sucks, we're never going for a walk, I'm going to bed."

Twenty seconds later..."Woohoo, game's over, let's go!"
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Baseball can be a very boring game unless you follow the team(s) and know the players.

Fans don't pay enough attention to the count. Home run on 0-2. Nooooooo!

Quote Originally Posted by HPDevil View Post
    Fans don't pay enough attention to the count. Home run on 0-2. Nooooooo!
    i'm still ticked off about a home run Mike Schmidt hit vs the Expos on an 0-2 count, just sheer stupidity...big game, too.

p.s. I see that today we're 1.5 run underdogs...not too surprising.
    Last edited by budwom; 06-05-2023 at 12:27 PM.

The line is -120, so +1.5 would be normal. Yesterday, some of the runlines on ESPN were 4.5.

Alex Gow starting on the mound tonight. I think I would have preferred Ryan Higgins, as Gow has been very inconsistent in his recent starts. Hope good Gow shows up tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke102452 View Post
    Alex Gow starting on the mound tonight. I think I would have preferred Ryan Higgins, as Gow has been very inconsistent in his recent starts. Hope good Gow shows up tonight.
    I would expect we may see both. This is an everyone’s hands on deck game and no one has pitched too many innings this weekend to come in I think

Quote Originally Posted by Luke102452 View Post
    He was good after giving up a couple of hits in the 1st during his last outing. We can't afford to get in a hole, and I expect all arms will have a short leash (bad mixed metaphor, welp). But it's definitely all arms on deck! Whither the mid-season James Tallon? Would be nice to have that guy for a couple of innings.

Oschell has been most consistent and effective pitcher on the staff for the entire season. Hopefully, get a lead early and try to get at least 3 innings out of him would be ideal.