Page 67 of 121 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977117 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,340 of 2406
    Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post
    Miami moves on to Saturday with the win. Duke's RPI moves up to 21.
    Given today's game doesn't matter for who moves onto tomorrow, does it matter for RPI/NCAA seeding? I imagine we'll try to win of course, but Miami could tank and save pitching for the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by jwillfan View Post
    Given today's game doesn't matter for who moves onto tomorrow, does it matter for RPI/NCAA seeding? I imagine we'll try to win of course, but Miami could tank and save pitching for the weekend.
    It technically matters for RPI, but my assumption is the committee knows to ignore these games in their planning. Duke’s spot in the bracket is probably already locked in right now

It just makes no sense to play games in a tournament, where the outcome makes no difference.
    Home run in the top of the first .. Duke 1-0 .
    Let’s Go Duke

Home run by Beshears in the top of the first! 1-0 Duke!
    IMG_4345.jpgIMG_4345.jpg
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

That didn’t last long

An error, 2 hits, a wild pitch. Down 2-1 and still nobody out. Sloppy, ineffective pitching. Sheesh.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Alex Stone hits a solo HR in T6 to put Duke up 3-2 over Miami. With the hit Stone extends his hitting streak to 30 games.

Duke adds another run on an RBI single by Lux. Now 4-2 Duke in M6.

Miami tied it 4-4 in B6, but now Storm has hit his second HR of the game to put Duke back up 6-4 in M8.

Tallon in to pitch the B8. Let's see if he can redeem himself after the Miami disaster.

Edit: first Miami batter hits a HR, now 6-5.

Edit 2: a strikeout and another solo HR, tied 6-6. I may just stop reporting, this doesn't look good.

Tallon gets yanked after another blown save. Romano pitching B8, tied 6-6 with Miami in a game that means nothing to Miami, but Duke could really use the boost of confidence.

Yikes. Missed it but kinda glad. If Tallon is toast we don't have much chance in the NCAA. I hope he's not injured.

7-6 Miami wins.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlue View Post
    7-6 Miami wins.
    Going into the regionals on a four game losing streak, and recently three for eleven.

Doesn't shout lots of reasons to be optimistic.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Going into the regionals on a four game losing streak, and recently three for eleven.

The pitching staff is falling apart before our very eyes. Gow went out early today with a twinge in his pitching arm.

This team will be home for the season by late Saturday night/early Sunday morning. Since exams week, it has been pretty brutal. From 31-13 and #7ish in the country to where they are now signals to me very little chance of winning a regional next week (or even a game).

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post

Quality wins = clear regional host and borderline top 8.
    RPI #25 = solid 2 seed.
    4-8 (2-6) after exams = NIT without the rest of the resume.

It's still 50-50 in my mind whether Duke is a #2 or #3 because of the finish. The bats might have woken up, but Duke's exhausted the pitchers that aren't injured.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Miami will play Clemson for the ACC final. Miami beat up on #1 Wake Forest pretty well. (7-2)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Clemson won the championship. beating the stuffing out of Miami, 11 - 5. Box score shows Miami was winning 5-3 going into the 7th, when the Tigers scored 8 runs on them before the inning ended.

Hehe

As many of us expected, Duke was not selected to host. ACC sites are out so Duke will travel to one of the following schools for regionals: AL, AR, Auburn, Coastal Carolina, FL, IN St, KY, LSU, OK St, SC, Stanford, Vanderbilt.

RPI seemed to be the overwhelming factor for everyone but Auburn. They were #19 but had a much stronger resume than Campbell (#14). I can't guess where Duke will end up on that list, but I think not OK St or Stanford given the number of sites east of the Mississippi.

The RPI is such a mystery. Indiana State is #9 in RPI and are selected to host. They were 2-9 in Q1 games which included being swept by Kentucky and Northeastern and losing to Miami. Vanderbilt was their best win and they were not in a particularly strong league.

Duke did not deserve to host after the way they closed the season. But they were 16-13 in Q1 games. How can a team that was 2-9 in Q1 games have a higher RPI than a team that was 16-13 in Q1 games. Makes no sense.
    Last edited by Luke102452; 05-28-2023 at 09:04 PM.