Page 37 of 40 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    So we don’t have to listen to the vapid and thoroughly grating Debbie Antonelli anymore for at least 8 months? Proof there is a God …

But we still need Gus ….
    The games should be better if for nothing else we don't hear Antonelli, Bilas, and Corey Alexander. No reason to use the mute button.

GoDuke!

Great footage of Kevin Harlan/Stan Van and Bonner calling the end of Virginia/Furman
    https://twitter.com/KevinOConnorNBA/...551954434?s=20

https://youtu.be/MMPKSZjGB4E

Around the 5 minute mark Bilas calls out the refs in the Tennessee Duke game for letting it be a rugby match. He is such a homer.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    https://youtu.be/MMPKSZjGB4E

Around the 5 minute mark Bilas calls out the refs in the Tennessee Duke game for letting it be a rugby match. He is such a homer.
    I would have been very interested to see how he would have called that game live if it was on ESPN. I wouldn't him want to take a stance that Duke was getting screwed over. Luckily, I don't think I ever have to worry about him saying anything like that. I think a lot of DBR people that have taken that stance sound like Carolina fans after a loss to Duke. Greenberg seemed to have the best take, saying it was a horribly officiated game, but within that horrible officiating, Tennessee won fair and square. Saying that if things were called tighter, Duke would have won is a bunch of coulda, woulda, shoulda. Yeah, if we shot 100% from 3, we would have won too. Who cares?

Anyway, I wonder how far he would have gone in-game to critique the officiating. ESPN showed a replace of Bacot shoving his forearm into Lively's throat during a game this year, and Bilas was completely silent, so I can't picture Bilas saying during the game that the officials are doing anything wrong. I see him taking more of an analytical approach like he did after the game and saying "when a flagrant foul wasn't called here, that set the tone for how the game would be called." I respect that approach entirely. It's not really his job to critique the officials. It is his job to explain to the viewers how the officiating decisions impact the game. The part I have a problem with is that he seems very willing to critique the officiating when it goes in Duke's favor.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    Great footage of Kevin Harlan/Stan Van and Bonner calling the end of Virginia/Furman
    That's great, thanks for posting!

Van Gundy looks absolutely stunned. Like he just saw a ghost or something.

Harlan is definitely... excited

9F
    I will never talk about That Game. GTHC.

Quote Originally Posted by kako View Post

9F
    I love the hands out there, to signal to his co-hosts to just let the crowd noise carry the moment. Great awareness.

Quote Originally Posted by kako View Post

9F
    So far, the play of the NCAA Tournament
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    I feel sorry for Dan Bonner after seeing that. As a Virginia player and grad he had to be numb.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

This thread doesn't cover much radio announcing, so here you go.

Sporting News: How FAU radio narrowly avoided disaster after losing power prior to final call of Elite Eight win vs. Kansas State

Florida Atlantic secured a historic victory over Kansas State on Saturday, with the Owls earning the program's first trip to the Final Four in the process. And the team's radio announcer nearly missed it.

Ken LaVicka, who was calling the game on the FAU Radio Network, relayed afterward how he narrowly averted disaster in the waning moments to salvage the final call.
    Awful Announcing: FAU announcer shares how he almost lost Final Four call due to power outage

Following the game, LaVicka spoke with Andy Katz and described what happened.

“All of the ethernet along this front row here at Madison Square Garden went out with 18.6 seconds left. And we actually got saved by a Kansas State layup and a timeout called by Jerome Tang. That gave me time to scramble. And you saw me, Andy. It was getting a little rough. A life’s dream is crumbling before me. I grabbed from that second table an ethernet cord, plug it into my broadcast equipment. One of my teammates from ESPN West Palm in West Palm Beach sitting next to me, held the comrex unit while I called the final 15 seconds of the game and the day was saved.”
    Get this man an assistant! He's broadcasting the Final Four next week!

I really, really like Stan Van Gundy as an announcer. Sees and communicates the game from a coach’s perspective and does so without shtick or hyperbole but still he’s loose and entertaining. Has a pretty good rapport with Bonner and Harlan. Overall, I like this group more than the Nantz-Hill-Raf group. Feels more organic and less mechanical especially Nantz and Grant. Those guys are fine, but I think SVG is a star.

SVG doesn't say much but makes pithy observations, something every other color commentator should aspire to do

Spanarkel is the best.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    SVG doesn't say much but makes pithy observations, something every other color commentator should aspire to do
    Often, less is more. Mr. Bilas might learn that.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Often, less is more. Mr. Bilas might learn that.
    Well, JB knows more about basketball than SVG, so JB has more wisdom to impart on the unwashed masses.

The CBS announcing team professionalism and both play-by-play and color commentary far exceed anything the “Entertainment” network throws at us. Really enjoy watching and listening to these games.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    The CBS announcing team professionalism and both play-by-play and color commentary far exceed anything the “Entertainment” network throws at us. Really enjoy watching and listening to these games.
    I guess Ian Eagle is to replace Nance starting next season. I’d like his partner Spanarkel to replace Rafftery sooner rather than later, but they'd never have 2 Duke guys on CBS’s lead team, and certainly not on the Final Four.

Kudos to Awful Announcing for putting together a compilation of calls of Lamont Butler's shot so soon after the SDU win over FAU. They've got the CBS broadcast, local San Diego sports radio, ESPN International, and Westwood One.

It's worth a click. Thanks to some embedded tweets, you can watch or hear them. Or read them -- each call is transcribed. Jim Nantz was a bit slow on the "Butler did it" line, not having it ready right after the shot, but said some interesting things beforehand. Dick Vitale was covering the game for ESPN International, and was highly subdued, for him.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Kudos to Awful Announcing for putting together a compilation of calls of Lamont Butler's shot so soon after the SDU win over FAU. They've got the CBS broadcast, local San Diego sports radio, ESPN International, and Westwood One.

It's worth a click. Thanks to some embedded tweets, you can watch or hear them. Or read them -- each call is transcribed. Jim Nantz was a bit slow on the "Butler did it" line, not having it ready right after the shot, but said some interesting things beforehand. Dick Vitale was covering the game for ESPN International, and was highly subdued, for him.
    Pretty excellent. Thanks for the link.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post

No thanks. I don't plan on ever watching that highlight again if I can help it.

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    I guess Ian Eagle is to replace Nance starting next season. I’d like his partner Spanarkel to replace Rafftery sooner rather than later, but they'd never have 2 Duke guys on CBS’s lead team, and certainly not on the Final Four.
    Getting rid of Notecard Nantz ("his mother is a letter carrier!") is classic addition by subtraction. Leave that man in Augusta...