Page 35 of 40 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    I love him.
    I love him too. But his college basketball analysis is just absurd and ridiculous.

I did like his comment about Roach saying that "taking criticism personally" is what makes you an great athlete and is what's great about sports. But listening to him make up takes on college teams is just high comedy.

Sort of like asking a music critic to break down a chef. It's interesting. But doesn't leave you with much take away.

I love him.

I think Barkley is a buffoon, who does no homework and just says whatever is on his tiny mind.

9F
    I will never talk about That Game. GTHC.

Quote Originally Posted by kako View Post

I think Barkley is a buffoon, who does no homework and just says whatever is on his tiny mind.

9F
    That's why I like him. Barkley clearly has no interest in doing the NCAA Tournament, but the networks force him into it.

Imagine if we had ClemmonsDevil doing on air reviews of turkey dinners.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I love him too. But his college basketball analysis is just absurd and ridiculous.

I did like his comment about Roach saying that "taking criticism personally" is what makes you an great athlete and is what's great about sports. But listening to him make up takes on college teams is just high comedy.

Sort of like asking a music critic to break down a chef. It's interesting. But doesn't leave you with much take away.
    I love Chuck for no other reason than he makes Kenny Tar Heel Smith look like a jerk. Barkely is funnnnnny.

GoDuke!

Yes

I feel bad for Grant Hill, going through life as such an unattractive person.
    It's amazing what he has accomplished, despite this burden.

For what it’s worth my buddy was at the Birmingham games yesterday and stayed after to talk a bit with Jim Nantz and Grant. Said Jim was genuine and nice and of course Grant was super cool. May have helped that my friend (and I) were Grant’s classmates at Duke!

Perhaps mentioned upthread but it was delightful to listen to Van Gundy marvel at the Duke defense yesterday. Refreshing even, after a season of talking heads pointing out everything that the team did that was wrong.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Don't underestimate Charles!

Quote Originally Posted by kako View Post

9F
    Well, buffoon is a bit strong. Class clown is more apropos, and yes, I suspect he probably didn't do all his homework.

But "tiny mind?" I think thou dost protest too much. His bio argues otherwise. Let's review some of the things that fill his not so tiny mind:

Drive, competitiveness. An undersized, overweight player from nowhere, who ended up as 11-time All Star, All Star MVP, and League MVP. Led the league in rebounding at a height that probably was in reality around 6'4"--Tyrese Proctor size. Leading scorer on the Dream Team (outscoring some scrubs named Jordan, Bird, Magic, etc). Named one of the 50 best players in NBA history (and ranked as high as 20 on those lists).
    Self-awareness: his "I'm not a role model" exposed a man who thought long and hard about his role in society as a wealthy, successful black man. The product of a single parent household in still-segregated Alabama, Barkley understood that playing hoops was not the route out of poverty for 99.9% of children in the same circumstances.
    "IQ:" while I suspect he wouldn't do well on a calculus exam, playing NBA basketball at the highest level is a cerebral game--any player will agree that in the end, it's the mind game that sets the best players apart. And the ability to be funny and engaging in the public eye takes a quick mind--try doing stand-up comedy to appreciate the need for a sharp intellect.
    Business savvy: Barkley recently signed a new contract with TNT for well over $100 million. Maybe not kako, but that kicks my W-2 into the ditch.

Don't let stereotypes, or your personal tastes in announcers, lead you to the wrong conclusion. Charles is dumb like a fox.

Quote Originally Posted by doctorhook View Post
    Bonner and company were good tonight, refreshing.
    I have one major complaint with Bonner that I don't normally have. He's towing the company line on UVA as bad as Alexander. Yes, Duke deserved a higher seed than your Wahoos, and yes, UVA didn't beat Duke in February without the refs help. I'm sorry (not sorry) you had to watch the Furman game in person. If Duke had been seeded properly, maybe UVA makes the Sweet 16 against TN.

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    I love Chuck for no other reason than he makes Kenny Tar Heel Smith look like a jerk. Barkely is funnnnnny.

GoDuke!
    Not sure that Kenny needs any help with this, but this is also why I like Barkley.

That's why I like him. Barkley clearly has no interest in doing the NCAA Tournament, but the networks force him into it.

Hahaha! This is so good. Also turkey is the 9th best meat.

What was very refreshing was Stan? VanGundy's take. On this board we see all of the flaws of the program with an emphasis on the negative... who was injured, heartbreaking losses etc.

He made a great comment that I will paraphrase..."Whitehead is coming off the bench and this team is seeded 5th? You have got to be kidding."

This of course touches on something that we have only done once or twice in pre-game threads (and I plan to suggest it in the TN thread). What is the scouting report that an ORU or TN fan board would post about Duke...

1. Duke will take away your first and perhaps second options on offense.
    2. Don't drive the lane unless you go very strong or Lively will block your shot.
    3. Block out, block out, block out or we will get killed on the boards.
    4. Very balanced offense from outside and inside so don't fall asleep on D

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    One thing that struck me while watching the UVA game was that the play by play guy actually called the plays. I could have had been looking at the back of my TV and still known exactly what was going on. Very radioesque, and seemingly getting rarer these days. I appreciate the audible dance that it takes for a color guy to give his analysis in the very brief moments in between the action with broadcast teams like that. More often than not, nowadays, both simply talk over what's happening on the court. (Or in ESPN's case, chuck in the towel all together and give us a split screen while some player's mom is interviewed.)

Speaking of radio, check out Furman's Dan Scott call at the end of the game. Bob Harris would be proud.

https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status...249481728?s=20
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    What was very refreshing was Stan? VanGundy's take. On this board we see all of the flaws of the program with an emphasis on the negative... who was injured, heartbreaking losses etc.

He made a great comment that I will paraphrase..."Whitehead is coming off the bench and this team is seeded 5th? You have got to be kidding."
    Best Van Gundy moment of the day - "I think that was a missed call. And you know I love referees. I did everything I could to help them out when I was a coach."

Gold Jerry. Gold!

Best Van Gundy moment of the day - "I think that was a missed call. And you know I love referees. I did everything I could to help them out when I was a coach."

Gold Jerry. Gold!
    I liked Van Gundy because he threaded the needle really well. He is not a college guy. But he very clearly did his homework. But he also did not beat us over the head with random facts that his production assistants gave him, which might be what others in his position would do.

For the NCAA tournament there are a lot of viewers for whom this might be the first game they watch all year. So the goal of the announcer is to keep it simple and keep it fun. Don't dive into minutia. Don't talk about macro-level changes to college basketball. Keep it light and conversation but don't drift too far from the game either, especially in a relatively close game. This is why I like Raftery for the tournament (and in general) - he is the nice guy sitting next to you at the bar telling you about the game without feeling the need to act like he is the smartest person on earth. I know some don't like some of his shtick but it is limited and harmless.

Harlan was blessed with one of the best voices for sports announcing ever. And he is also very good at what he does, but he could be reading the list of potential side effects for medication and it would sound really exciting.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    Not sure that Kenny needs any help with this, but this is also why I like Barkley.
    Agreed. I'm not sure Charles is the best analyst (for either the NCAAs or the NBA), but he's funny and doesn't take himself too seriously. Kenny, on the other hand, always comes off as if he thinks he's the smartest and most suave guy in the room - which is rich considering his affiliation with the University of No Class.

Yeah, I'd suffer through a few commercials to see that, honestly.

Turkey:ClemmonsDevil

Duke:LenElmore

I don't know who is doing the color commentary for the Memphis game is just awful. Maybe the worst I have heard all season.
    Does anybody know who it is?

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    I don't know who is doing the color commentary for the Memphis game is just awful. Maybe the worst I have heard all season.
    Does anybody know who it is?
    Andrew Catalon/Steve Lappas/Jamie Erdahl are assigned the games in Columbus, so I assume you mean Steve Lappas. Wikipedia: "He coached at Manhattan (1988–1992), Villanova (1992–2001) and UMass (2001–2005), compiling a 280–237 (.542) record over a 17-year coaching career."