Page 27 of 40 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    Lack of opposable thumbs.
    No, I said I was in the wrong lane!!!

Chris Spatola, solid analyst when he avoids sliding into an awkward attempt at comedy, is at the halftime desk with Fraschilla at the UT-KU Big 12 final. He just needled Davis, Davis, & Love (without mentioning that firm) by noting that Edey had 25 FGAs in today’s game. Spatola observed that “Armando Bacot doesn’t get that many shots in 3 games!”

Actually it’s Bacot’s last 5 games — 26 shots.

ETA — Joke’s on me, as well as Davis, Davis, & Love, as this was a successful attempt at comedy.

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    No, I said I was in the wrong lane!!!
    Hahaha! That made me laugh!

Note: deserved sporks but it appears you are an amazing poster, thus ineligible for more sporks from me.

Quote Originally Posted by clinresga View Post
    No, don't do it...just let it go...

Nah: so what you're saying is that you're totally annoyed by the fact that Bilas acts in an unbiased fashion as a commentator? And you wish he'd be more of a Duke homer on national TV? So I guess you also want Kenny Smith to be even more of a Hole shill too
    No, we're annoyed that he flies right past being unbiased and becomes biased in the other direction.

The Bilas defenders seem to be caught on the idea that the prevailing opinion is that we think Bilas hates Duke. I don't see that idea expressed very often. We're tired of him being biased and hypocritical.

I was at the game in person. I got a text that on that crazy play where we nearly stole the ball and it got passed to a UVA player on the baseline that the ball actually hit the baseline. Let me guess - Bilas barely mentioned that it was the wrong call?

Quote Originally Posted by Southgate0809 View Post
    No, we're annoyed that he flies right past being unbiased and becomes biased in the other direction.

The Bilas defenders seem to be caught on the idea that the prevailing opinion is that we think Bilas hates Duke. I don't see that idea expressed very often. We're tired of him being biased and hypocritical.

I was at the game in person. I got a text that on that crazy play where we nearly stole the ball and it got passed to a UVA player on the baseline that the ball actually hit the baseline. Let me guess - Bilas barely mentioned that it was the wrong call?
    He said nothing about it being the wrong call.

In our house, that was quite a moment. Bilas was waxing pretty rhapsodic about the impressive passes from UVa on that play, and then the replay clearly showed the ball bouncing on the baseline, and he just stopped. He didn't comment on it, he didn't complain about it, but he didn't continue to wax rhapsodic, either. It was a rare moment from Bilas where he suddenly just could not seem to find words. My son, wife and I all just cracked up about it. That was a very noticeable moment.

Agree about Bilas not hating Duke and that it is not the point.

How about the later sequence when Bilas claimed Lively fouled the UVA kid going out of bounds and the ball " changed direction " off Lively. After review you could see that neither was true.

Cherries and nits must be in season, because a whole lot of them are getting picked to criticize Jay last night.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Cherries and nits must be in season, because a whole lot of them are getting picked to criticize Jay last night.
    Aren't most threads repeptitive even when opinion or fact?

Quote Originally Posted by doctorhook View Post
    Aren't most threads repeptitive even when opinion or fact?
    Just so I’m clear, in last night’s two-hour broadcast, Jay showed his bias against Duke or bias in favor of our opponent because:

1. He failed to comment on a close out of bounds pass as they went to commercial; and
    2. He observed that the ball seemed to deflect from one angle, then corrected himself clearly when shown from a second angle.

Am I missing any other examples?

Just so I’m clear, in last night’s two-hour broadcast, Jay showed his bias against Duke or bias in favor of our opponent because:

1. He failed to comment on a close out of bounds pass as they went to commercial; and
    2. He observed that the ball seemed to deflect from one angle, then corrected himself clearly when shown from a second angle.

As I've said: confirmation bias.

An analogy: an umpire at a baseball game blows four strike three calls, two victimizing the Red Sox and two, the Yankees. The "media critics" would immediately jump into action, citing the two blown calls against the Sox as proof that the ump was a biased pro-Yankees bum.

rsvman's lucid analysis has already shown the distribution of pro/con Bilas calls were remarkably even in the Miami game--honestly, an impressive sign of professionalism. Citing only cherry-picked examples "proving" your point is meaningless. That's not even Statistics 101, that's like Statistics 1.

Quote Originally Posted by clinresga View Post
    As I've said: confirmation bias.

An analogy: an umpire at a baseball game blows four strike three calls, two victimizing the Red Sox and two, the Yankees. The "media critics" would immediately jump into action, citing the two blown calls against the Sox as proof that the ump was a biased pro-Yankees bum.

rsvman's lucid analysis has already shown the distribution of pro/con Bilas calls were remarkably even in the Miami game--honestly, an impressive sign of professionalism. Citing only cherry-picked examples "proving" your point is meaningless. That's not even Statistics 101, that's like Statistics 1.
    Exactly.

And to be clear, confirmation bias is a natural reaction we all have. I don’t ask folks to suddenly rid themselves of it. I do think it is important to recognize the possibility that it is coloring their view, and then reassess based upon that self-awareness.

The hoo style of play deafened me to any color commentary last night. I told someone it was almost as bad as experiencing labor so I wasn't paying much attention to anything anybody said.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Exactly.

And to be clear, confirmation bias is a natural reaction we all have. I don’t ask folks to suddenly rid themselves of it. I do think it is important to recognize the possibility that it is coloring their view, and then reassess based upon that self-awareness.
    Confirmation bias is what you two are doing to each other. For the record, I thought Jay was fine last night.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinDevil View Post
    Confirmation bias is what you two are doing to each other. For the record, I thought Jay was fine last night.
    The last few games that Jay has done, for some reason I've not paid much attention to any of the in-game announcers. I've tried to concentrate on every possession. That's on defense and offense. I guessed I just tuned them out. Jay was ok last night.

GoDuke!

So, you’re further confirming my biased conclusion? Cool!

Yes and they are others in this broadcast as well as preceding games.

I understand confirmation bias but these cherries are simply examples of factual inaccuracies rather than opinion.

To actually " prove " bias, I suppose you would have to quantitate how many instances Bilas's immediately reacted to an error in favor of Duke or its opponent and was subsequently proven wrong. You could then compare the numbers and see how many times he reacted incorrectly to Duke or opponents. In last night's broadcast the numbers confirm bias but certainly the sample size is small.

I repeat that I do not think Jay is a bad guy or hates Duke, I just don't like his schtick.
    Last edited by doctorhook; 03-12-2023 at 09:36 AM.

So, you’re further confirming my biased conclusion? Cool!
    Look, I know from other experiences that you can be a cool dude. Why are you so triggered by others having a different opinion from yours in this case?

Sure, others are arguing from a couple of anecdotes last night. Bilas is going to receive that reaction when he authoritatively states something bad has happened in game play for Duke and is shown to be totally wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by doctorhook View Post
    Yes and they are TNTC in this broadcast as well as others.
    Agree 100%. I could go back and find dozens from this game alone.

Look, I know from other experiences that you can be a cool dude. Why are you so triggered by others having a different opinion from yours in this case?

Sure, others are arguing from a couple of anecdotes last night. Bilas is going to receive that reaction when he authoritatively states something bad has happened in game play for Duke and is shown to be totally wrong.
    You’re right, it’s a trigger I probably shouldn’t have. I’ll step out of this topic.

Peace to all, let’s go Duke! 9F UNC.